T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Not looking to backup my HT system just my network. A couple burglaries in my area where security cameras were in use and power to the house was cut. I’ve already got a Ring doorbell and just ordered a few of their solar/battery cams that operate on WiFi. I just need an APC that will give my router and modem an hour or two of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
you could use PoE cameras with PoE switch which used APC's UPS to protect the power. I'd also recommend having your NVR backup to the cloud. In the case of Ring devices, it's part of the subscription.

Buying new UPS sometimes is unnecessary, I bought mid-tier SMB ups from APC on eBay for a song
APC SUA750 Smart-UPS 750 Battery Backup System for $50 shipped. Buying used ups pretty much guaranteed that the batteries won't last long, BUT buying decent aftermarket batteries on amazon is possible.
Other than APC I'd also suggest TrippLite as I generally have good experience with their products.
Besides UPS capacity (and fancy features which you'd never need) where is one which could be important protecting computer equipment and it's Pure Sine Wave.
A decent explanation is here:

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Ring cameras are automatically backed up to the web hence the need for battery backup of my wireless network. Thanks for the Tripp Light suggestion, looks like for under $200 I can get almost 1 hour of backup. If they cut power, Cable and phone there’s not much a can do anyway. I’m really looking for deterrent, if I do get robbed I’m hoping for pictures of the bad guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I often use Minuteman or APC UPS and they work great- as well as any other simple backup. They all use the same kinds of batteries that are easy to find.

Don't overthink it. Burglars almost never cut wires and they really don't want to deal with the power. However, cutting the cable to the internet will disconnect the cameras from the cloud, so using cameras with internal storage or a DVR/NVR is best.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis