Anyone using Raspberry Pi4 as streamer ? Help!

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
I’m a newbie to the DYI streamer thing using RPi 4 and Volumio by USB -> DAC.

DAC, via a Anthem STR integrated says no signal. I see “STR USB hi res” as a choice in sources, so unit sees it, but no music. Using Qobuz as music source.

I think the issue is in the configs someplace I’m missing in Volumio, but I don’t know what half of the configs actually do! Reading the Volumio forums I don't see the answers, which I suspect is just a config option away from working.

So far, the “simple” DYI idea to use something besides my Marantz plug and play streamer has not proven to be simple for me as I'm not tech savvy in this area and others assured me it was simple. So far, just a PITA.

Any help/ideas/threads, etc?

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
I’m a newbie to the DYI streamer thing using RPi 4 and Volumio by USB -> DAC.

DAC, via a Anthem STR integrated says no signal. I see “STR USB hi res” as a choice in sources, so unit sees it, but no music. Using Qobuz as music source.

I think the issue is in the configs someplace I’m missing in Volumio, but I don’t know what half of the configs actually do! Reading the Volumio forums I don't see the answers, which I suspect is just a config option away from working.

So far, the “simple” DYI idea to use something besides my Marantz plug and play streamer has not proven to be simple for me as I'm not tech savvy in this area and others assured me it was simple. So far, just a PITA.

Any help/ideas/threads, etc?
Volumio is the OS, Qobuz as music source. My understanding is the USB connections of 4 are much better than 3, and decent. Wanted to try that first and see what that sounded like, then add a digital hat via Allo and what, if any difference there was. But, can't even get the basic 4 to work. "It will be easy" they said "It's hardly even a DYI project" they said.

BS is all I have to say that! o_O

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
That stinks. I am using Ropiee with a pi4 as the endpoint direct to my integrated's dac with no issue. I am just using my library and no qobuz or tidal.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have used my RPi 3 streamer via USB to my Emotiva XDA-1 DAC, running Volumio. Absolutely no problems, it was pretty much plug and play!

I have since moved over to an Allo Piano 2.1 on that device. And, I just set up a PiZero streamer for the garage using the Allo Piano HAT (not the 2.1 variety on that setup).

For troubleshooting, can you get any audio through the 3.5mm jack? How about audio over HDMI? Also, try a different audio source! It should be easy to plug in a USB drive with a few files, or go into the configs and set up a web radio channel, also easy. EDIT: Are you sure your power supply is robust enough to do what you are trying to do?

I suspect you have a simple configuration problem. I can try to poke around in my Volumio settings and see if I can help, but it may be a few days before I can get to it.

It should also be noted that you can perform all sorts of configs through the command line on the RPi! It seems like you won't have the experience on this, but google is your friend. In particular, I had to do this on one of my arcade machine builds where I used an HDMI to VGA converter. I had to use the command line to force the RPi to output the VGA signal over HDMI rather than the normal HDMI signal. Fun stuff!

You should realize, there really is no value in the extra horsepower and cost of the Pi4 vs. 3 in this application. Now, if the USB is really better for streaming, then there is value of the 4 vs. 3, but I am skeptical! The catch is that I will never choose USB as my primary connection (for anything, not just audio), if I can help it, just from my various USB experiences and woes over the years (granted, most of my problems with USB have been in industrial applications at work, and USB is not a good option in an industrial setting). Now, I do want to move up to a Pi 4 for my video game emulation! In that application, the extra horsepower has a distinct advantage.

EDIT: To me, the biggest advantage of the RPi streamers is the ability to transmit the digi stream to the DAC using the I2S protocol. Should be obvious, but using the USB cxn bypasses that advantage.

ALSO--HOW LONG IS YOUR USB CABLE??? DON'T GO OVER 6 FT!

Adding some reference material:
USB cables are limited in length, as the standard was intended for peripherals on the same table-top, not between rooms or buildings. However, a USB port can be connected to a gateway that accesses distant devices.

Last edited:
Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
I have used my RPi 3 streamer via USB to my Emotiva XDA-1 DAC, running Volumio. Absolutely no problems, it was pretty much plug and play!

I have since moved over to an Allo Piano 2.1 on that device. And, I just set up a PiZero streamer for the garage using the Allo Piano HAT (not the 2.1 variety on that setup).

For troubleshooting, can you get any audio through the 3.5mm jack? How about audio over HDMI? Also, try a different audio source! It should be easy to plug in a USB drive with a few files, or go into the configs and set up a web radio channel, also easy. EDIT: Are you sure your power supply is robust enough to do what you are trying to do?

I suspect you have a simple configuration problem. I can try to poke around in my Volumio settings and see if I can help, but it may be a few days before I can get to it.

It should also be noted that you can perform all sorts of configs through the command line on the RPi! It seems like you won't have the experience on this, but google is your friend. In particular, I had to do this on one of my arcade machine builds where I used an HDMI to VGA converter. I had to use the command line to force the RPi to output the VGA signal over HDMI rather than the normal HDMI signal. Fun stuff!

You should realize, there really is no value in the extra horsepower and cost of the Pi4 vs. 3 in this application. Now, if the USB is really better for streaming, then there is value of the 4 vs. 3, but I am skeptical! The catch is that I will never choose USB as my primary connection (for anything, not just audio), if I can help it, just from my various USB experiences and woes over the years (granted, most of my problems with USB have been in industrial applications at work, and USB is not a good option in an industrial setting). Now, I do want to move up to a Pi 4 for my video game emulation! In that application, the extra horsepower has a distinct advantage.

EDIT: To me, the biggest advantage of the RPi streamers is the ability to transmit the digi stream to the DAC using the I2S protocol. Should be obvious, but using the USB cxn bypasses that advantage.

ALSO--HOW LONG IS YOUR USB CABLE??? DON'T GO OVER 6 FT!

Adding some reference material:
USB cables are limited in length, as the standard was intended for peripherals on the same table-top, not between rooms or buildings. However, a USB port can be connected to a gateway that accesses distant devices.
Thanx for the response. I finally got it to work. Problem was in the Volumio settings which are far from well explained by Volumio. For the $, it's good kit. I plan to try something else also.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a fan of the Roon ecosystem. Just wish it was cheaper :). Requires working with Linux commands on a Pi to setup but the instructions were pretty straight forward and it's been auto-updating ok since I set it up. I like the interface both on PC and on the mobile app. I can control the Pi from either.
Pi3 is fine for streaming but I plan to move to the Pi4. I like to have the ability to sample music from YouTube and the Pi3 struggles with full screen video. Pi4 shouldn't have that problem. Connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR. Still tweaking the system fonts and browser zoom settings. Desktop Linux does not map very well onto TV screens but I mostly use the Roon app so it hasn't been a priority.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a fan of the Roon ecosystem. Just wish it was cheaper :). Requires working with Linux commands on a Pi to setup but the instructions were pretty straight forward and it's been auto-updating ok since I set it up. I like the interface both on PC and on the mobile app. I can control the Pi from either.
Pi3 is fine for streaming but I plan to move to the Pi4. I like to have the ability to sample music from YouTube and the Pi3 struggles with full screen video. Pi4 shouldn't have that problem. Connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR. Still tweaking the system fonts and browser zoom settings. Desktop Linux does not map very well onto TV screens but I mostly use the Roon app so it hasn't been a priority.
What kind of resolution are you trying to get out of the Pi3? Have you tried over-clocking it?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of resolution are you trying to get out of the Pi3? Have you tried over-clocking it?
Set to 1080 to match my TV, but the Pi3 does not have a particularly good graphics chip. The heatsink is undersized as I sometimes get temperature warnings, so that needs to be replaced. Won't handle overclocking currently. What I haven't tried yet is change the Pi3 to 720 and let the AVR upscale the video. That would enlarge the fonts too, which is often an issue with trying to display a linux desktop on a TV.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Pi3 has done fine for my needs, but really just using it for Retro Gaming Emulation. I have it over-clocked for the processing power for emulation, and it can handle many arcade games fine up through about the mid 1990s. It can't do N64 very well though. But, yeah, if you overclock it then you certainly need a better heat sink.

I just use the Flirc case and be done with it! The entire case becomes the heat sink.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis