Anyone use an internet radio?

D

DB77

Audiophyte
Has anyone purchased an internet radio that they'd like to reccomend? Or does anyone posibly have reccomendations for internet radio stations?

Most internet radios seem to have very poor sound quality.

I had considered purchasing an internet receiver to tie into my main stereo system but I have had children since buying all of that equipment and my priorities have changed from pursing a audiophile grade high end system to using portable/semiportable devices that have acceptable sound quality. I will be selling of my main system and replacing with a portable internet radio and maybe a decent pair of bookshelf speakers with a stereo receiver in the home office.

I recently purchased the Sangean wfr-1 and have had it for about six months. For a portable unit I have been very pleased with the sound quality and performance. It has dropped the wifi connection once in the past six months of daily use. I really enjoy the variety of content that can be listened to via the internet. It beats the pants off of listening to the same 20 songs on a loop on terrestrial FM stations.

J

John Stephens

Audiophyte
Internet Radio has some fierce competition. Since the launch of iTunes Radio in 2013, it became much harder to single out one service in particular that reigns supreme.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Has anyone purchased an internet radio that they'd like to reccomend? Or does anyone posibly have reccomendations for internet radio stations?

I had considered purchasing an internet receiver to tie into my main stereo system but I have had children since buying all of that equipment and my priorities have changed from pursing a audiophile grade high end system to using portable/semiportable devices that have acceptable sound quality. I will be selling of my main system and replacing with a portable internet radio and maybe a decent pair of bookshelf speakers with a stereo receiver in the home office.

I recently purchased the Sangean wfr-1 and have had it for about six months. For a portable unit I have been very pleased with the sound quality and performance. It has dropped the wifi connection once in the past six months of daily use. I really enjoy the variety of content that can be listened to via the internet. It beats the pants off of listening to the same 20 songs on a loop on terrestrial FM stations.
I just stream Internet Radio thru my PC (hooked to my HT), or through my RPi streamer hooked to my 2 channel rig.

My favorite, by far, is somafm.com

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I use a Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast for most streaming (Pandora, AirPlay and some use with USB stored data. When I listen to radio stations, I'm not as concerned with sound quality but if it sounds bad, I listen to something else. I use it for some of the local stations because I'm very close to an antenna farm and reception can be difficult at times.

For all of the other streaming, I think it sounds good, but I listen to the music more than the equipment. If it just sounds bad, THEN, I do something about it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I use a Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast for most streaming (Pandora, AirPlay and some use with USB stored data. When I listen to radio stations, I'm not as concerned with sound quality but if it sounds bad, I listen to something else. I use it for some of the local stations because I'm very close to an antenna farm and reception can be difficult at times.

For all of the other streaming, I think it sounds good, but I listen to the music more than the equipment. If it just sounds bad, THEN, I do something about it.
Agreed.

And, I've had some success with some of my AVR features like "Digital Noise Reduction" settings, etc.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have an old Internet radio made by logitech that works nicely, but I really tend to use a tablet or the Roku on my main HT system for my streaming now. You also might consider getting a Amazon echo dot! It has fairly versatile streaming capability in addition to allow you to start, pause, change volume etc.
For active (pro audio powered) speakers, the JBL lsr305 at $300/pair is an excellent value! I have an echo dot hooked to mine and because of convenience, it is what I use most (despite having a "real" system)! These speakers incorporate technology from th JBL M2's waveguide/horn, so you can get away with murder as far as positioning goes.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have an old Internet radio made by logitech that works nicely, but I really tend to use a tablet or the Roku on my main HT system for my streaming now. You also might consider getting a Amazon echo dot! It has fairly versatile streaming capability in addition to allow you to start, pause, change volume etc.
For active (pro audio powered) speakers, the JBL lsr305 at $300/pair is an excellent value! I have an echo dot hooked to mine and because of convenience, it is what I use most (despite having a "real" system)! These speakers incorporate technology from th JBL M2's waveguide/horn, so you can get away with murder as far as positioning goes.
Kurt, it won't be long and the JBL 305's will go back on sale for $100 each. I am considering getting me another set when they do. It is so hard to believe that the holidays are right around the corner. Should be some good deals to be had. Just saying........:):):) BTW, did not know you had a Roku. I use mine for SlingTV. Works like a charm!

Cheers,

Phil

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I just don't see a need to own an Internet radio because I have a smartphone and both Google Music and Amazon Music Unlimited accounts and have plenty of powered speakers to connect to it and I have Echo Dot's with external speakers and do not understand the need for a unitasker. If you want something to play through your main system consider a Roku.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Kurt, it won't be long and the JBL 305's will go back on sale for $100 each.
How certain are you that the 305s will get that low? I'm finding them for $129 shipped ($20 off) and seriously thinking about pulling the trigger.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
How certain are you that the 305s will get that low? I'm finding them for $129 shipped ($20 off) and seriously thinking about pulling the trigger.
Well, I can't say w/100% certainty. But, right close to Black Friday and onto Christmas the 305's can usually be had for $100 each. Places like Guitar Center, Sweet Water, Sam Ash, PSSL all had them for that price during that time period last year w/free shipping included. Have a good feeling that they will again. Keep your eyes on PSSL.com. They seem to have the best deals all year long. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

BTW, this is the internet radio that has been on my radar, but I don't know much about it
http://www.brik-audio.com/s/2/product-342402/Internet-Radio.html

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Agreed.

And, I've had some success with some of my AVR features like "Digital Noise Reduction" settings, etc.
Until yesterday, I was using a Sony ES integrated amp, but the intermittent audio caused by the relays finally made me connect my Parasound A23 to the Yamaha's output. Since the Sony has a decent phono section and I have more sources than the Yamaha can accept, I'll use the Sony for source switching and the Yamaha will handle the input as well as the digital stuff.

I have never enjoyed dealing with people who were involved in "high end audio"- too much BS and listening to the equipment, rather than the music. I listen critically, but I don't obsess about it and I understand/accept that all systems have limitations. For this reason, I can decide that something is 'good enough' and IMO, my system is good enough. If I still had my EV 30" woofers, it would definitely be better, but the cabinets wouldn't have fit through my doors or up the stairs. :(

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
No matter the source, it's the lack of advertisements that makes it great. I figure with the ad blockers online, plus avoiding FM radio and television, I am about 95% advertisement free.

lol. . .I use you guys for product awareness. It's cost me a few bucks. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis