Anyone see a similarity?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
So I was surfing today, and I started comparing speaker cables. Does anyone else see a similarity here?

River Cable StarFlex SPX:

Highest performance 11 gauge, 4 conductor Star Quad cable for superior EMI noise reduction
Special polyethylene dielectric for low capacitance and high velocity factor

Conductor DC Resistance: 2.6 ohms/1000 ft
Nominal Capacitance: 45 pF/ft
11AWG 4 conductor double balanced paired cable
14AWG annealed copper stranded conductors: bi wire

Canare 4S11 Star Quad Speaker Cable:

Super Flexibility, even in Sub-Zero Weather
Star Quad Design Reduces EMI Noise
Low Capacitance and Rsistance

Insulation Type: PE
Thickness: 27.6 mil
Cond-AWG: AC-#14
(Qty./mil): (41/10.24):
Cross Section Area mil.2: 3379
Twin Cond AWG**: #11 **Effective AWG of combined twin conductors.

Cond. D.C.R. ohm/1000ft (ohm/100m): 2.6 (0.9)
Nominal Capacitance: pF/ft (pF/m): 45 (146)

Looks to me like River Cable StarFlex SPX is just Canare cable with some spiffy TechFlex and nice terminations. You can buy Canare 4S11 in bulk from Blue Jeans Cable for $1.05 per foot. You can buy some ultra-spiffy banana plugs from Parts Express as well as some TechFlex. And here's a direct link to the standard TechFlex.

So why buy River Cable? Because you're too lazy to terminate the cables yourself. And you want some *BLING BLING* in your room.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Jax;

They do seem similar. Without personally testing or seeing the Canare up close I cannot testify they are. It should be of no surprise if they are. Welcome to the audio business where one common design is repackaged by multiple manufacturers. If you think its bad with cables, check out the latest rounds of A/V Processors and DVD transports ;)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for replying Gene. They have identical specs (well, I don't know about inductance). However, since you have the data for the Starflex cables, and you tested them, you know what they look like. You could just spend a few bucks and order some bulk Canare cable from Blue Jeans Cable and do a comparison (or maybe get it for free because of your status).

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/speakerprices.htm

That's a direct link to the speaker cable ordering section of Blue Jeans. Hopefully you can reach a verdict on this one.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Jax;

Since Bluejeans is one of our supporters I can get samples with no problem. I am puzzled however, that you listed the spec of 11AWG and theirs is 14AWG. I wonder if this is a aggregate vs effective gauge#. I know the Starflex measured to effective gauge of 11AWG. I will find out this week for ya.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Gene, If you saw at the bottom of the Canare Specs that I posted:

Twin Cond AWG**: #11 **Effective AWG of combined twin conductors.

So, yes, they, like the StarFlex, are 4-14ga wires with an effective gauge of 11.

Sorry, it was kinda unclear.

Edit: Also, River Cable describes the color of the StarFlex as "Moonstone Grey". Hmm....Canare comes in just such a grey color...hmmm*

*Hmmm usage stolen from Dunlavy Article. Damn that was a good article.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Damn. Gene left :( . <whine> I want answers nooooooow </whine>.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ohh, looky, another one. This time, Cobalt Cable.

Cobalt Cable Ultimate Audio Interconnect:

Technical Details:
Overall Nominal Diameter: .303 Inch
Conductor: Stranded 22 AWG Bare Copper
Shield: 95% over 92% Bare Copper Braid
Nominal DC Resistance: <15.3 ohms/1000 ft.
Nominal Impedance: 75 ohms
Velocity of Propagation: 66%
Capacitance: 21 pF/ft

Canare LV-77S Coaxial Cable

Nominal Outer Diameter: .303 in.
Cond.-AWG: AC-#22
Dielectric Insulation Type: PE
Shield Material Coverage: AC Braid, >92%(inner), >95%(outer)
Cond. D.C.R. ohm/1000ft: <15.3
Nom. Capacitance @1KHz: 21 pF/ft
Nominal Impedence: 75Ohms
Velocity of Propagation: 66%

Description from above:

Flexible Center Conductor: Stranded Bare Copper
Dielectric strips away clean from Conductor
Tightly Woven Braid Shield
Stays Flexible even in Sub_Zero Weather
Available in 10 Colors

Hmmm! Identical Specifications! That seems to say, identical cable! This cable is 64.50 for a 1m pair at Cobalt Cable. You can get the Canare branded cable, with Canare RCAs and TechFlex at BlueJeans Cable in a 4ft length for 36.75. Who wants to save some money? I sure as heck do! To be geeky, PWNED!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
*Post*

Just want people to see this, because saving money kicks ***.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gene said:
Jax;

They do seem similar. Without personally testing or seeing the Canare up close I cannot testify they are. It should be of no surprise if they are. Welcome to the audio business where one common design is repackaged by multiple manufacturers. If you think its bad with cables, check out the latest rounds of A/V Processors and DVD transports ;)
Manufacturing cables is a very expensive proposition. If you specialize in audio cables only, the costs skyrocket. Most, if not all cable peddlers buy from sources who make all sorts of cables like Belden or some Chinese makers as did TARA and repackaged it :D

Essentially, this may be news to you, but it's SOP for many manufactureres. There's enough people out there who dont know how to DIY or simply want to get good quality cables already made that the market is sufficient.

I dont think anyone is trying to pull a fast one, save those adding flowery marketing and pseudo-science into the mix.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely not. I understand this is standard practice. I'm just saying that if maybe you happened to buy these cables, then maybe you'd like to save some money. That, and for some reason, I find it mildly entertaining.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hey youz goys. Check out this thread. It's awesome (at least I think so).
When I get some time, I'll do some more hunting. Right now, I have too much work to to for college. Bah, 3 big things in the same week.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
More Content!

I found more money saving similarities:

======================================================
Canare LV-61S Coaxial Cable

River Cable Digiflex Gold

You could probably have Blue Jeans Cable whip you up a cable with this coax if you asked nicely :D.

Canare DA206

River Cable DigiFlex AES/EBU

Canare LV-77S(Same as Cobalt Cable Ultimate Audio IC)

River Cable DigiFlex Gold Plus

Canare GS-6

River Cable AudiFlex Gold
River Cable StarFlex Subwoofer
Cobalt Cable Ultimate Guitar Cable

I'm not out to trash good companies like Cobalt Company and River Cable. Indeed, this is proof that they are selling a high-quality product that does what it claims. You could get the same basic cable from Blue Jeans, but it won't look as nice. Just like Gene said before, these companies offer esoteric products that are finely crafted and based in science. For those of us who could care less about the *BLING* factor and don't mind doing it ourselves, we know we can get high-quality stuff for a darn good price.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hey! I added more similarities. Ye who want to potentially save some money, check out my previous post.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
*Bump*

Front page on forums, woo...just want people to see my most recent post with actual content.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis