Anyone know what type of amp this is? There’s no markings on it whatsoever

T

templeowls

Audiophyte

I took over an existing retail store and this amp (?) is in the back room. Speakers throughout the store route to it.

There’s no brand name, model name/number, etc on it. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

I took over an existing retail store and this amp (?) is in the back room. Speakers throughout the store route to it.

Thanks
Almost surely a 70V amplifier but seeing the other side would definitely help.

Does it have a label on the bottom?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Reminds me of a vintage Muzac amp. Perhaps an off brand version?

Have you turned it on? Is their built-in music?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks
I strongly suspect that is a DIY amp, as it is in a standard project box.

highfigh

highfigh

Reminds me of a vintage Muzac amp. Perhaps an off brand version?

Have you turned it on? Is their built-in music?
Amps from Muzak and the company that bought them have labels and are clearly marked as to what they are- I don't know how anyone would expect someone to ID it without a photo of the other side or the bottom, though.

The name of the newer company is Mood Media.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Amps from Muzak and the company that bought them have labels and are clearly marked as to what they are- I don't know how anyone would expect someone to ID it without a photo of the other side or the bottom, though.

The name of the newer company is Mood Media.
If there are no markings on it of any kind, then you can bet it is DIY. I have had project boxes over the years identical to that one.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I strongly suspect that is a DIY amp, as it is in a standard project box.
So were the old vintage muzak boxes. I believe some of the old ones had stick on labels too.

As @highfigh said, or asked, you'd think there would be a label somewhere. The OP needs to open it up and see if there's one inside. Did Heath make a DIY muzak player?

Still curious if @templeowls turns it on if it will start playing elevator music?

T

templeowls

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone. I checked all over. No markings whatsoever. That’s why I only sent the one pic.

I’ll be honest. I don’t know what I’m really doing with audio equipment. Apologies.

What wire(s) would I need to test it with my phone? I turned it on and no music. The only ports on it are that white circle one and green rectangle one on the front. I woulda guessed a red/white av wire but there’s only a white circle port

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks everyone. I checked all over. No markings whatsoever. That’s why I only sent the one pic.

I’ll be honest. I don’t know what I’m really doing with audio equipment. Apologies.

What wire(s) would I need to test it with my phone? I turned it on and no music. The only ports on it are that white circle one and green rectangle one on the front. I woulda guessed a red/white av wire but there’s only a white circle port
It is pretty clear that it is a mono PA amp. The two pin connector on the right would be for the power supply. None of us will have a clue what voltage it needs to run it.

The round RCA connection is for a mono source input.

So this will not work, without a power supply and a mono music source. If you don't know what you are doing this is useless to you. Absent information left about it, or someone experience taking a look at it, you will not get this working.

You would have to have it on a test bench and fire it up from a Variac unit, with a test tone on the input. Then you would need to monitor the output on an O-scope, and gently increased voltage until you had a decent wave form.

So only someone very experienced with test gear will determine how to use this unit.

I can find no Muzak amp that looks anything like that.

So what you have is a DIY amp, most likely made from parts or some type of kit.

We can't help you any further I'm afraid.

highfigh

highfigh

Understood. I appreciate the help!!
I see a white cable hanging at the far side of the amp- is it connected? Looks like it might be Cat5.

Can you see speakers in this building? Post a photo- if they look like horns, you may not need to post a photo- they would likely be 70V speakers.

Disconnect any power cord and remove the cover, then post a photo of the inside.

This has three speaker cables- disconnect them and use a AA or AAA battery to test them by holding one wire on the - terminal, then briefly touching the other wire to the + terminal- if you're in the same room, you may hear a scratchy popping sound- if you're not, have someone listen for this sound. If it's actually a 70V amp (these are used when speakers are very far apart), you won't hear much, if anything.

I wouldn't worry about using a VariAC - it's not a tube amp and it's unlikely that powering it will cause any damage. This has an RCA jack- find a 1/8" (3.5mm) to RCA Y cord and connect it to a smart phone, tablet or something with an ear plug/headphone jack, turn the volume control down and turn it on- if it works, you'll know more than you do now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I see a white cable hanging at the far side of the amp- is it connected? Looks like it might be Cat5.

Can you see speakers in this building? Post a photo- if they look like horns, you may not need to post a photo- they would likely be 70V speakers.

Disconnect any power cord and remove the cover, then post a photo of the inside.

This has three speaker cables- disconnect them and use a AA or AAA battery to test them by holding one wire on the - terminal, then briefly touching the other wire to the + terminal- if you're in the same room, you may hear a scratchy popping sound- if you're not, have someone listen for this sound. If it's actually a 70V amp (these are used when speakers are very far apart), you won't hear much, if anything.

I wouldn't worry about using a VariAC - it's not a tube amp and it's unlikely that powering it will cause any damage. This has an RCA jack- find a 1/8" (3.5mm) to RCA Y cord and connect it to a smart phone, tablet or something with an ear plug/headphone jack, turn the volume control down and turn it on- if it works, you'll know more than you do now.
I think that amp is low voltage DC powered by the look of it. I think that two pin connector is for a DC power source most likely.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If it's a DC connector then the challenge is to learn what voltage the unit requires. It may also be a 2 pin AC connection. Really need to see a photo of the inside.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If it's a DC connector then the challenge is to learn what voltage the unit requires. It may also be a 2 pin AC connection. Really need to see a photo of the inside.
Yes, it could be an AC or DC connector. I would not put mains power to that plug without further investigation.

highfigh

highfigh

I think that amp is low voltage DC powered by the look of it. I think that two pin connector is for a DC power source most likely.
Possibly a brick or wall wart- the Euro/Phoenix connector isn't used for high voltage but again, we still haven't seen the other side. Still, an amp using a 12VDC-19VDC power supply could make enough noise for this application. I repaired some mics at an auto parts store in the early-'80s and all that system had was an old SE tube amp with one 6V6 output tube and a 70V transformer. It was only used for paging.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Possibly a brick or wall wart- the Euro/Phoenix connector isn't used for high voltage but again, we still haven't seen the other side. Still, an amp using a 12VDC-19VDC power supply could make enough noise for this application. I repaired some mics at an auto parts store in the early-'80s and all that system had was an old SE tube amp with one 6V6 output tube and a 70V transformer. It was only used for paging.
I agree, more than likely this unit had a DC power supply.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis