Anyone know of HomeTheaterByTheSea??

D

df4801

Banned
Looking to buy paradigm speakers from them, great prices.
Any bad or good experiences.
Thanks!

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I don't know anything about that site, but to my knowledge, Paradigm is only to be sold through authorized dealers. I'd be skeptical. Paradigm states on their site that if their product is not bought through an authorized dealer, it does not carry a warranty. I guess it's buyer beware.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Dealers/Dealers.html

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
df4801 said:
Looking to buy paradigm speakers from them, great prices.
Any bad or good experiences.
Thanks!

Not an authorized dealer for many of the products available, but I have bought several B&K and Denon pieces from him with no problems.

D

df4801

Banned
I realize that they are not "authorized", but with a decent maker like paradigm, do you really need a warranty?
I was just thinking that speakers really dont just break unless you abuse them. Am I mistaken?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
df4801 said:
I realize that they are not "authorized", but with a decent maker like paradigm, do you really need a warranty?
I was just thinking that speakers really dont just break unless you abuse them. Am I mistaken?
anything produced has a chance of breaking, you may just be the unlucky one that gets a defective unit. It's a gamble, if its worth it to you to save the money and you dont mind taking the risk, I say go for it, if your worried buy from an authorized dealer that way you know you will have a way to get it fixed.

9f9c7z

Banned
Yup, I know ‘em in a consumer/seller kind of way. Would not hesitate to do business with him. He’s been in the business for quite awhile, recently bought HTByTheSea.com, and I get the feeling he will do whatever it takes to make it work. Thinks the “authorized dealer” scam is an illegal price-fixing scheme. Here’s what’s happening:

The guy is getting his stuff from authorized dealers. Dealers get better prices on a volume of merchandise. Dealers buy more than they can sell and move the excess out of their backdoor and into his truck. All is legit, just not with the blessing of the manfs. He exists with the cooperation and blessing of authorized dealers.

Stuff from HTByTheSea.com comes with their warranty, not the manf’s. I believe it is identical to the manf’s. If you need any warranty work on the stuff you buy there, they request that you send it back to them. I don’t know, but suspect the warranty coverage may be working the same way he gets his merchandise, just in reverse.

Fwiw, he’s pretty sure manf’s know what is going on by tracking serial numbers. There is nothing the manf’s can do about it because it is totally legal. This is why manf’s invoked the scheme of limiting warranties to authorized dealers only, because of folks like HTByTheSea.com. Ironically, buying from there supports the manf, supports the authorized dealer, and supports free enterprise…all at once! What you need to consider is how comfortable you are with his warranty, as opposed to the manf’s warranty.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Fwiw, he’s pretty sure manf’s know what is going on by tracking serial numbers. There is nothing the manf’s can do about it because it is totally legal.
If you want to see what kind of strong-arm tactics manufacturers can use against such dealers, just search for what Klipsch did a few years ago. It has gotten quite a bit harder to find Klipsch products because of the way they've buckled down on the process.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis