Anyone know of any articles/videos etc regarding the use of active/powered monitor loudspeakers in HT?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Think you could possibly be right on the overkill (if there is such a thing :p), it's hard to give the correct dimensions as like I say its in a roof space but it has a 5 metre front to back by 8 metre wide floor. However the vertical space is in the triangular shape of the roof with it's highest point being aprox 2.7m so most of the 8 metre wide floor space is tucked away in the eves so really theres more like 5m x 4m of usable floor space that you can actually stand up in if that makes any make sense!

Ah man I haven't even had a chance to start looking into those yet, the Mrs keeps making me work on the stupid house renovations when all I want to do is plan my HT out but yes I was definately thinking beefy!;) Never built a sub in my life so correct me if I'm wrong but thinking I could possibly build the cabinets with a sloped back (if I can figure out the maths!) so the back of them could fit into the wasted empty floor space in the eves. I was also thinking I could also fit some pretty thick acoustic absorbers in these wasted spaces, without going overboard on them obviously.
You can build sub cabinet with sloped backs, it won't hinder performance. You just need to make sure to compensate so that the internal volume of the enclosure remains the same.

G

Giraffejumper

Audiophyte
Thank you for making this post, because I was just about to make one saying "post your powered setups here" so I could get a good idea of how it works for them.
Are they happy with it?
What powered speakers should I avoid for ht?
Are the speakers loud enough with plenty of overhead for ht?
Did they find a decent budget receiver or connection like the Outlaw 976 or Denon 3700 with preouts for it?
There are videos for literally EVERYTHING ELSE for things like this.
I could spend hours watching videos on 16 thousand different ways to clean snail dung from an aquarium if I wanted.
NOT A SINGLE PERSON WITH STUDIO MONITORS AND A HOME THEATER HAS SHARED.
There is a guy who uses PA Behringers for a home theater and that's the closest I have found and I thanked the guy for uploading it.
No - one does not need videos or articles to do this, but it sure helps when you are doing research to find people who have been actually doing it and are successful with it to point out what they have found what works best and what doesn't.
Screw passive crossovers and amps!
It's time for home theater speaker companies to move toward the future.
Have a great day

G

glock339

Enthusiast
Yeh I find it weird that theres no content on Youtube etc on the subject, since making the original post I managed to find a couple of posts on forums mentioning it but I really thought I'd find much more!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm still wondering just what the video would explain....how active/powered speakers connect to pre-outs instead of the amplifier outputs on the avr? How you need power outlets near each speaker as well as longer runs of interconnect? Post up some specific questions....videos "of audio" are often useless anyways.

G

glock339

Enthusiast
Personally I'd never looked into this subject so it could have been any of those or even just dose anyone actually do this & if not why not?

I'd say most people doing research these days by looking for videos on it & you can generally gauge the quality of the information provided via the likes/dislikes, subscribers & comments section etc. It's a lot faster than trawling the internet for articles or asking questions on forums plus you can watch/listen to them even if you are busy doing other things hence why I looked for videos first found none, then I Googled for articles & forums etc but found nothing at the time, then finally I made a post on a forum which was more time consuming. With the sheer amount of content available on everything it's quite unusual not to find videos about it unless it's something that practically nobody dose.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I'd never looked into this subject so it could have been any of those or even just dose anyone actually do this & if not why not?

I'd say most people doing research these days by looking for videos on it & you can generally gauge the quality of the information provided via the likes/dislikes, subscribers & comments section etc. It's a lot faster than trawling the internet for articles or asking questions on forums plus you can watch/listen to them even if you are busy doing other things hence why I looked for videos first found none, then I Googled for articles & forums etc but found nothing at the time, then finally I made a post on a forum which was more time consuming. With the sheer amount of content available on everything it's quite unusual not to find videos about it unless it's something that practically nobody dose.
Interesting approach. I do better research than looking for someone who posted a video of questionable provenance. Lots of idiots out there for audio, too. Good luck with that. I think you did right posting here but still not seeing particular concerns/questions. The large majority of setups do not use active speakers vs passive speakers, tho. It's coming, tho, particularly for smart/wireless stuff....

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I suppose one other disadvantage is that for many active speakers, they don't have corresponding horizontal center speakers that can fit in a slot under a TV in a console shelf. They are pretty much all bookshelf speaker sized, although there are exceptions but those exceptions tend to be pricey.
Yeah and I’d expect multi driver towers to destroy a active bookshelf as they can play louder with less distortion, even if crossover is 80. Ive seen people with very expensive actives 2-5k a pair on diff forums or more as 7.4 and that would cost a fortune may outperform cheap towers or bookshelves for what 30-70k?
It’s cheaper to get 7 towers or 6 and center and 4 Atmos speakers.
Why bother with inferior music mixing monitors ..

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis