Anyone familiar with the REL R505?

DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic
I'm thinking about replacing my SVS with something with a bit more punch.

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
f-ing badass sub. A bit more punch though? hm. Well its not eactly a kick you in your chest kind of sub, but it is one of the most musical subs you will find. Light on its feet, but delivers the kick when necessary. It's also an extrememly well crafted and beautiful sub.

If your purposes are more in favor of music, then i could not think of what to recommend more. If its mainly for HT, you might want to look elsewhere. If its an even combo of both, i would still recommend the REL.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
No. I haven't heard your SVS though. I have always enjoyed REL auditions with music (dealers probably just knew how to implement them, as they are always found at high end establishments), but IMO they simply don't cut it for HT, at least not for the money. Granted, I'm pretty spoiled. In that line, I've heard both the 305 and 505. With 505, I had LOTR fellowship cranked, with BW 804 mains, and 805 surrounds. The sub was the weak link.

The problem could be if you are only looking at sealed subs, outside of perhaps JL Audio. Their Fathom series are actually pretty similar to REL 505 pricing, IIRC. Now, there, just no comparison.

For the money, you will want ported for HT.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have you considered the SVS pb13 ultra ? Might just be what your looking for with a good balance of HT Capabilities along with music and wont break the bank .

DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic
Thats an over generalization IMO
Yes I agree, depending on the driver being used a sealed box can be just as good as a ported box. What I would really like to do is listen before I purchase (as I'm sure most of us would prefer). Just don't have an REL AD that has this model, OH well........

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis