Anyone else outgrown games?

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
Probably the wrong forum to ask this in, but here goes :D

Has anyone else just gotten over games? I'm 25 and put in my share of hours through high school, college, and a little after college with all the classic FPS titles and a variety of platforms, mostly computers. In the last year or two I rarely play a game that is even remotely appealing.. I thought I wanted a PS3 or xbox, but after playing games in the store for about a minute I just laughed and went home. :confused: For some reason I just can't get wrapped up in them like I used to. It kind of sucks, because they were really fun.

I just downloaded the COD4 demo and lost interest almost immediately.

This happen to anyone else?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I go through phases, but I haven't been a big game player for about 11 years (since I got out of college and started working full time), and I haven't played much of anything for a year or two.

Besides, when would I have time to play anymore? I'm always cruising this darn forum. :)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but I still do.

I played all the way through Zelda: Twilight Princess, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Puzzle Quest, New Super Mario Bros, Call of Duty 2, and Metroid Prime 3 in the past year. COD4 just came out, so I'm going to delve into that and get into the multiplayer. Might check out Gears of War and Crysis, too.

And, dude, Super Mario Galaxy comes out this month.

Woo :)

I'm 26. It does take me a bit to get really into any particular game. But after an hour or so of play, I know whether I'll enjoy the game or not. If not, I'll just dump it. If I will like it, I play it and get really into it. Demos these days aren't really enough to get you into a game. If I played the COD4 demo, it wouldn't hold my interest at all. But I know I'll enjoy the meat of the game.

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
I know exatly what you mean. I bought a PS3 because it had a blu-ray but also because I thought it was "Next-Gen" and the games would take gaming to the next level of interactivity. I got into Resistance and that was really about it. I just don't really get wrapped up where I can't put the controller down. I did with God of War and God of War 2. I played them for 3 hours a day, but I beat it in 2 and a half days. That was a great investment(lol)

But you're right. It's funny how we don't like the games out but we want to because when you play that game that you can't put down it's like magic. You have purpose and you have fun. I hope the games get better. I can't wait for MGS4.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Nowadays I have yet to find a game that engrossed me as much as Final Fantasy VII, Mario 64, Final Fantasy Tactics, MGS 1/2, Diablo 2, and Starcraft. I mean I could play those for tons of hours at a time without ever getting bored. I get tired of the new stuff pretty fast but maybe MGS 4, FF13/vs13 will change that.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I've been gaming less and less. I'm more involved with my Car, and my HT (though not as much now because of my car). I believe there is a reason games are popular among kids, the lack of real responsibility. Now with a broken car, I have to get it fixed. Not just because I like driving, but because I need it.

SheepStar

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I never really got into games in the first place. They seem all the same to me. Being a child of the '80s I'll take simple arcade style games or puzzles over a first person shooter every time.

I'd rather play Galaga than Quake any day of the week...but that's just me. :)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I never really got into games in the first place.
Me either. I will never forgive computer arcade games for taking over from the physical arcade games I did enjoy, especially pinball.:(

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Never. It is a great way to relax. I don't play as much as I used to either, but I still play.

Matt34

Matt34

I go through phases, last time I really played was last year while I was deployed.

majorloser

majorloser

I haven't been heavy gaming for at least 10 years. I only play now to release some stress. But I too go through phases. I recently picked up a Xbox 360 but I haven't had time to play very much.

Back in the early 80's I was an addict. Now I just don't feel like wasting hours of time.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have never been a big gamer but I go through phases were I will play a game almost everyday for a week and then not play again for 2 months. I dont own any games but I will get GT5 when it comes out.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm come to think of it less in terms of playing games in the abstract and more playing good games. I'm in a dry spell right now because the games that I really liked, I played the hell out of them and am tired of them.

There are a few games that were just hard that I'm hoping to finish some day. I never finished Return to Castle Wolfenstein. There are also several games in my collection that were just disappointing. Luckily I bought most of those used.

I'm hoping Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect end up being the kind of games I can get engrossed in for a while. I enjoyed some steath games like the Splinter Cell series and Thief: Deadly Shadows so I hope AC is as fun as those. I also enjoyed Bioware's earlier RPGs like Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic. I really hope Mass Effect is even better.

Part of it may be seasonal as well. I tend to play more games in the winter whereas in the summer I want to be outside more.

By the way, I'm 39 so if I was going to outgrow games, I'd probably have done it by now. :)

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I haven't outgrown gaming, but the types of games have definitely changed over the years. When i was in high school and college, i played RPG and other games that required significant semi-continuous time investment. Now that i'm getting older, i find that i have less time to play, and when i do have time, it's in shorter intervals. So my playing has migrated to games that i can pick up and play in short bursts without having to worry about story details. This is why sports games remain popular regardless of age, you can pick them up play for 20 minutes and be done. The next time you play, you start from scratch. It's the same reason women love Tetris.

So i've gone from the "Zelda" class of game to more casual games like shooters and sports games, and my current fav, Geometry Wars.

M

MiniDisc

Audiophyte
I still play games, I often play with friends on Xbox Live that are middle age.
For me it goes in spurts where I'll play games heavily for a few weeks then stop for a month or so.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Not done yet

I'm 41, playing Halo3 on XboxLive with friends your own age is a lot of fun and getting to kick some little kids tails is priceless:D. The 1st video game I ever played was Pong, anyone remember how cool that game was:rolleyes:.

hyghwayman

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
Pong, Oh ya!
Pong in colour, unfricken believable!!

Had the Coleco system, that talked!
Atari 2600, 800 (think it was, early PC?)

Really got into PC games with Wolfstine 3D, then Doom ....on up to MOH
Stopped playing when the game requirements went up faster than I could upgrade my hardware. Morgage, other hobbies etc. Didn't like console controllers so never got into them. How ever I have been really tempted to pick up and X-Box as some of the games are starting to look real cool.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'm getting into COD4 multiplayer, and the GF and I are having lots of fun playing Super Mario Galaxy :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis