Anyone else here still using a Carver Cube?

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
So anyone still using one - or 2? Or used to use one? I got this around 1983 I think. Makes it 40 years old and still no problems. It drives a pair of Allison Threes which while sounding great are a bit power hungry. I got them around 1979.

Cubey with friends.

2023 04 19 20 51 56a.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So anyone still using one - or 2? Or used to use one? I got this around 1983 I think. Makes it 40 years old and still no problems. It drives a pair of Allison Threes which while sounding great are a bit power hungry. I got them around 1979.

Cubey with friends.

View attachment 61575
That was an interesting amp. That was the first I remember with a switching power supply. The amp is not class D, but relatively conventional. It is surprising they have lasted as long as they have appeared to. Early class D power supplies were generally a nightmare. They are now used in every class D amp pretty much.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
It is surprising they have lasted as long as they have appeared to
I retired about a year ago and I'm pickup up my old hobbies and I have money so I'm evaluating everything. These are still for sale as used from $350 to almost $600. I guess people still value them. No upgrade is if off the table but I struggle to find a reason to retire it for something new.

I certainly welcome comments on why I would want to replace it.

My Allison Three speaker question is here. https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/allison-three-speakers-anyone-still-have-them-or-used-to-have-them.127185/

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it works without issue, I'd keep using it. I've had several Carver amps over the years, not quite as long as you. My oldest, an M-500, went up in smoke several years back but still have two M-500t amps, altho one has an annoying transformer buzz now (and a fairly recent appearance) so took them out of that system. Still use a C-1 pre-amp in a system with active speakers, works fine.

C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
It's great to hear that you've had such a long and reliable experience with your amplifier and speakers! While it's true that technology has advanced since the 1980s and there are now many more options available for amplifiers and speakers, there is still a loyal following of vintage audio equipment enthusiasts who appreciate the sound and durability of older gear. If your amplifier and speakers are still producing the sound you love, then there's no need to replace them just for the sake of having something newer. Enjoy your system and the memories it has provided over the past four decades!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis