Anybody Ever Order from ampslab.com???

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In one of the other DIY threads, this company hit my radar. I like what I see, but wanted info if anybody has ordered from them.

Power Amp Kits by AmpsLab

Anybody ever ordered from them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Buehler, Buehler......Buehler

I guess no experience on here. I did see some people that have built their designs and had some favorable reviews.

Considering the price and performance of tube kits (and lack of measurements) vs. the price and performance of the Ampslab SS kits with published measurements (though lacking heat-sinks and PSUs), I guess I'm gonna be the guinea big for the rest of you slackers :p

At $95 per channel, I suppose I can take a $200 risk. They do accept paypal and credit cards, so I'm sure I have some buyer protection. It certainly looks very promising. I will post again when I have more info.

Lm60 - Lateral Mosfet Power Amplifier Kit by AmpsLab

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That mosfet kit looks interesting, but I have no experience building amps or any electronic component other than passive speaker crossovers.

Sorry that no one can help you. You'll be breaking new trail here if you post about it.

Where are you getting a power supply transformer, heat sinks and the chassis?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That mosfet kit looks interesting, but I have no experience building amps or any electronic component other than passive speaker crossovers.

Sorry that no one can help you. You'll be breaking new trail here if you post about it.

Where are you getting a power supply transformer, heat sinks and the chassis?
I got plenty of time to figure out those details :D
Quite probably build a power supply.... probably even standalone PSU on a pigtail, then it could be used to power different devices and remove any chance of interference.

Heat sinks and chasis on the other hand, take some time and $ to find the right ones.

I

installer101

Audiophyte
Ampslab

Yes, I bought the Bi120 kit. Works great, glad I went with them. I also like that they have used or refurbished amps.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, now I'm just not too sure about these ampslab guys.

I sent an email with a few simple questions just to test the waters. Email sent on Monday and still no reply 2 days later.

If I had a prompt reply, then I would have ordered immediately. No reply yet, makes me nervous.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well, now I'm just not too sure about these ampslab guys.

I sent an email with a few simple questions just to test the waters. Email sent on Monday and still no reply 2 days later.

If I had a prompt reply, then I would have ordered immediately. No reply yet, makes me nervous.
It's possible you were hard to understand. Remember most of these guys are in China. You might check diyaudio. They have forums for nearly every amp company.

Hifimediy Store is a very solid company with a good reputation.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not Looking Good

Emailed on Monday with a few simple questions. No response.

Emailed again Wed:
Any feedback at all? Are you still in business? I haven't seen a response to my questions. I am quite interested in your products, but need some more info before pulling the trigger on one of these.
It is now Friday and no response.

Very simple question, so even a non-native English speaker should understand "are you in business". But website claims USA address. No phone #s, emails only.

Even if they are in business, if this is the level of service pre-sale, then I certainly don't expect better post-sale. I'll give them a few more days just in case.

In the meantime, I'm gonna test out the waters on some tube kits. I'm gonna contact Oddwatt, Bottlehead, Bob Latino Dynaco, and Audio Note and see how they do with some questions on specs etc. I will most likely go with the company that has the most enthusiastic pre-sale response.

Any other tube kit or solid state kit companies to check out?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Emailed on Monday with a few simple questions. No response.

Emailed again Wed:
Any feedback at all? Are you still in business? I haven't seen a response to my questions. I am quite interested in your products, but need some more info before pulling the trigger on one of these.
It is now Friday and no response.

Very simple question, so even a non-native English speaker should understand "are you in business". But website claims USA address. No phone #s, emails only.

Even if they are in business, if this is the level of service pre-sale, then I certainly don't expect better post-sale. I'll give them a few more days just in case.

In the meantime, I'm gonna test out the waters on some tube kits. I'm gonna contact Oddwatt, Bottlehead, Bob Latino Dynaco, and Audio Note and see how they do with some questions on specs etc. I will most likely go with the company that has the most enthusiastic pre-sale response.

Any other tube kit or solid state kit companies to check out?
There are numerous companies and you could even design your own amp if you have the EE skills. In the end it was too cheap for me to buy pre-made amp modules and power supplies. I mean 50 bucks for a 4 channel amp is very nice for the active speakers builder.

41hz probably has the best kits with the most support and the highest prices.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There are numerous companies and you could even design your own amp if you have the EE skills. In the end it was too cheap for me to buy pre-made amp modules and power supplies. I mean 50 bucks for a 4 channel amp is very nice for the active speakers builder.

41hz probably has the best kits with the most support and the highest prices.
Thanks for more info. I'll keep looking and go from there.

I don't think I could buy a commercial amp with the same performance as one I could build at the same price.

But, it's also for the experience so that is really a moot argument.

I have a book "80 audiophile projects" with some really good designs and plans, but you have to etch your own boards, read schematics, etc.

I was looking for a mid-difficulty level build first. I also have a book on designing power amps and another book on building tube amps

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Finally Got a Reply from Ampslab

Finally got a reply. Said he had been out of town, took a couple weeks to get the reply.

Got some info. I may look into them again in the future, but I just went with the ST-70 clone so I don't have the funds for another yet.

Clem-Clone

Clem-Clone

Audiophyte
I have purchased 4 of the Hx100 Series boards and built a 4 channel amp from them.
I just came across this site and subject as I did a search for 'AmsLab' and saw this posting. I built the amp in the fall of 2011 to drive om 2 pair of Maggies, a Tympani II series and the MG-IIA's. I must say, I've been very impressed with the sound quality over the years.
It's not for the faint-of-heart, as the power supply and associated components are not terribly easy to construct. I think I ended up over $1K for other parts. The amp has been a very solid performer over the years, save for a 'cockpit error' which resulted in a blown amp output. It's relatively easily fixed. but you do need to know what you are doing during construction and checkout.mosfetmounts.jpgpowersupply1.jpgpowersupply1.jpgSAM_0263a.jpgSAM_0260a.jpg

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis