Any way to know for certain that bulb is dead?

N

nyquist

Audiophyte
JVC DLA RS57U I'm helping a friend, he's out of town, and not technical, I can' touch the unit. He said picture started getting wonky and then went black. Is there a definitive way for him to know the bulb is the problem? Does this blink pattern happen when the bulb is dead? Thanks.

1623673628570.png

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If the bulb is dead, the projector will tell you. The blink codes are there for that reason.

What you're describing sounds like a dead bulb, but it's hard to say 100% without inspecting it yourself.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is no way to tell when a lamp is dead on a projector. The blink code may let you know that the projector is detecting a lamp issue, but it has a number of issues which it could be that are not the lamp. Likewise, there is no visible way to tell with projector lamps if they are actually good or not. It's not like a lightbulb in your home with a blown filament. High pressure lamps, like projectors use, don't work the same way and don't have physical signs of being 'burnt out'. So, you just have to get a new lamp and see if that fixes the issue.

N

nyquist

Audiophyte
Thanks, that's what I was thinking would be the case.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There is no way to tell when a lamp is dead on a projector. The blink code may let you know that the projector is detecting a lamp issue, but it has a number of issues which it could be that are not the lamp. Likewise, there is no visible way to tell with projector lamps if they are actually good or not. It's not like a lightbulb in your home with a blown filament. High pressure lamps, like projectors use, don't work the same way and don't have physical signs of being 'burnt out'. So, you just have to get a new lamp and see if that fixes the issue.
Really? Wow, my hc4000 blew a bulb it was VERY obvious considering the thing exploded. Is that something that happens, or was mine just a fluke?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Really? Wow, my hc4000 blew a bulb it was VERY obvious considering the thing exploded. Is that something that happens, or was mine just a fluke?
Some lamps do actually 'explode', but the vast majority do not. They just stop working. I know when the lamp on my Panasonic went out, it was mid-operation and the lamp had grown extremely dim. But, it didn't explode. If a lamp is out, and it didn't explode, it will look very similar to a brand new lamp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd say if it stops producing light then it's likely blown... :p

andrzejrule

andrzejrule

Audiophyte
There is no definite way to tell if the bulb is dead on a projector. The blink code will let you know once it detects any issues with the bulb, but there are multiple possible options that are not the lamp. In comparison to a normal lightbulb you use at home or even a smart one (https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bulb-color-smart-light-bulbs-smart-bulbs/), there is no physical sign when it's "burnt out." It doesn't have the blown filament. Therefore, you must buy a new one and replace it to see if the issue is fixed.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis