Any security/fraud experts on here?

jinjuku

jinjuku

OpenDNS - Parental Controls

The free option could give possibly slightly faster internet access, but you might as well use free google dns servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
The benefit of OpenDNS really lies with their subscriptions which could help you browse internet more safely.

In general there is only one (mostly) safe way to secure potentially compromised computer - Full wipe. If windows compromised - running A/V checkers is already too late.
Really nasty stuff could even modify PC permanently and even full wipe won't help

One option before full wipe is to do scan with Kaspersky Rescue Disk -https://support.kaspersky.com/4162 - download the ISO and burn it to cd. Boot the PC from the disk and update the database and run full scan. It will take a while, but it's worth the wait.

I highly recommend to get a Google Chromebook and hard limit your online banking/trading only to this device.
Chromebooks: Overview
You know every time a customer calls with a compromised machine (1. not my problem) and I tell them to use the nuke option on it they think I'm either being lazy or full of ****.

Not sure how much stuff is attacking BIOS now with the advent of UEFI.

Generally speaking a backup of critical data, a format of the HD and OS/Application install will take care of it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have an sbcglobal account as well from when I signed up with them. I don't use it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
OpenDNS - Parental Controls

The free option could give possibly slightly faster internet access, but you might as well use free google dns servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
The benefit of OpenDNS really lies with their subscriptions which could help you browse internet more safely.

In general there is only one (mostly) safe way to secure potentially compromised computer - Full wipe. If windows compromised - running A/V checkers is already too late.
Really nasty stuff could even modify PC permanently and even full wipe won't help

One option before full wipe is to do scan with Kaspersky Rescue Disk -https://support.kaspersky.com/4162 - download the ISO and burn it to cd. Boot the PC from the disk and update the database and run full scan. It will take a while, but it's worth the wait.

I highly recommend to get a Google Chromebook and hard limit your online banking/trading only to this device.
Chromebooks: Overview
Oh Gawd, I can barely wipe my own butt, you don't want me to try to wipe a computer...

Okay, condoms and screen protectors? This person has a need to cover or hide things. Maybe a sheepskin fetish.

Looks like you download games. Downloadable games are known for being infected with all kinds of nasty stuff like the ones that have already been mentioned; malware, keyloggers, trojans, (again with the condoms?) and virus's.

I'll defer to the experts, but looking at the screen shot you posted, that may be it.
That's the strange part, I don't "game" and have never downloaded games.

sbcglobal.net accounts are basically a hackers playground. Your account was probably hacked without the use of your own PC. I had one for over a decade that got hacked a few years back and it sucks. My recommendation is that you not have sensitive information emailed to you. Email is not a secure communication medium.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0009-taking-charge.pdf

The article above tells you the precise legal steps you need to take to clean up your credit. I'm sure you already contacted the Credit Card company to inform them of the fraud. No computer is 100 percent secure and no anti virus will detect the newest viruses. If you are looking for a new email provider check out gmail.
I have a gmail account and it's the one I use.

No issue with the money or credit. It was all back into my account in 15 minutes.

You know every time a customer calls with a compromised machine (1. not my problem) and I tell them to use the nuke option on it they think I'm either being lazy or full of ****.

Not sure how much stuff is attacking BIOS now with the advent of UEFI.

Generally speaking a backup of critical data, a format of the HD and OS/Application install will take care of it.
If this is the way to go, I need to take it somewhere or better yet, see if lsiberian will come over and help me for a Winter Warmer or two.

We have a serious worm virus going on at work. I get onto our server remotely, could that have been an issue?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
It sounds like your machine may have gotten hit. And depending on the virus or malware Microsoft Essentials may not have got it. There is a really good guide for cleaning an infected machine at Ultimate Malware Removal Guide -- Purge Your PC of Junk Files! | Maximum PC Check it out. Also remember to be extremely careful when using machines at kiosks or libraries. Also secure your wi-fi if you haven't already.

There are a number of ways your information could have gotten out, it may not even be your computer. Sometimes online processing sites are the weakest link in the chain and they are always getting hacked. Your machine could be safe, the site you shop on safe, even your bank; the the 3rd party ACH operator for the site and bank, is where a lot of data leakage occurs.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It sounds like your machine may have gotten hit. And depending on the virus or malware Microsoft Essentials may not have got it. There is a really good guide for cleaning an infected machine at Ultimate Malware Removal Guide -- Purge Your PC of Junk Files! | Maximum PC Check it out. Also remember to be extremely careful when using machines at kiosks or libraries. Also secure your wi-fi if you haven't already.

There are a number of ways your information could have gotten out, it may not even be your computer. Sometimes online processing sites are the weakest link in the chain and they are always getting hacked. Your machine could be safe, the site you shop on safe, even your bank; the the 3rd party ACH operator for the site and bank, is where a lot of data leakage occurs.
I will try that cleaning method.

Yep my wife works at a bank and she said the 3 places where I took the hit, are the most common.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
or better yet, see if lsiberian will come over and help me for a Winter Warmer or two.
Oh, so that's what you kids are calling it now...

I think you mentioned a debit card earlier? Just a quick aside, FWIW I wouldn't use one, they don't afford the same protections as a credit card.

Our credit card got skimmed somehow using a parking lot kiosk last summer. At least with a credit card the loses are limited, unlike a debit.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, so that's what you kids are calling it now...

I think you mentioned a debit card earlier? Just a quick aside, FWIW I wouldn't use one, they don't afford the same protections as a credit card.

Our credit card got skimmed somehow using a parking lot kiosk last summer. At least with a credit card the loses are limited, unlike a debit.
Yes, I have used a debit card exclusively for the past 15 years and have never had an issue. I stopped using it 2 months ago and started using AMEX.

I'm just glad that BOA called, text and emailed me immediately when they detected suspicious activity. They reversed the charges on the spot and cancelled my debit card.They had already denied the charges to the merchants.

I didn't think about it until now but I received a call from the Best Buy in MN asking for a lady's name, the day all this happened. One of the fraudulent charges was $681 at a BB in MN.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't think about it until now but I received a call from the Best Buy in MN asking for a lady's name, the day all this happened. One of the fraudulent charges was $681 at a BB in MN.
I will be heading up their in August if you need some kneecaps taken out just say the words. :D

Glad to hear they didn't give you any trouble. Still it sucks losing an Email account.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis