Any opinions on these Hi end speakers

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Oh, I see, an all around fuller sound. New speakers, you really are having fun!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It was louder. Yes the Polk's are more efficient. But I was stressing the fuller sound coming out of the tower vs the bookshelf. Guess the comparison is common since and I should have thought of this before going to a smaller bookshelf system..
In any case. I think I am about to pull the trigger on the RBH Towers.
If you like the crystal clear sound of the Ascend why not get their tower, just curious.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes loud levels... Not to loud however. My wife says I listen to elevator music.:mad:... I keep telling her it's Prog Rock. But she does know my hero is Steven Wilson.
What I do is implement Audyssey first which sets all levels to 75dB, then manually increase all trims by 5dB which would set all levels to 80dB, then increase the Subwoofer trim by another 3dB so that the sub is 3dB hot @ 83dB. Then implement Dynamic EQ, but turn off Dynamic Volume.

This way, even when you play LOUD, the master volume would probably still be around 25.0, and Dynamic EQ would still be very active. :D

You could toggle among Audyssey vs. Audyssey Flat vs. Audyssey Bypass L/R to see which sounds best.

I think "fuller sound" means crystal clear midrange and treble and subwoofer bass that is super tight, slamming, punchy, powerful, and kick-drum-in-your-face.

Even with Salon2 + 7 subwoofers (Funk + RBH), I could never get my bass to sound like that --- until I turned on Dynamic EQ. I couldn't believe it at first. How simple it was to get the sound. It was the sound I've been searching for since I auditioned the RBH T2 speakers years ago (back when I had the Definitive Technology BP7000SC towers and was auditioning B&W, Revel, KEF, etc.).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you like the crystal clear sound of the Ascend why not get their tower, just curious.
The Ascend tower's F3 is only 41Hz.

The RBH SX-6300/R is 35Hz.

Too bad he couldn't get the SX-8300, which has a F3 of 25Hz. :D

I am not sure about the 6300, but I believe the 8300 is made so that the three built-in 8" passive aluminum subwoofers can be actively powered externally.

Dual rear-firing flared ports help the SX-8300 achieve its full-range response, and dual 5-way binding posts allow for increased performance through bi-amplification with a subwoofer amplifier such as the SA-400.

If this is the case, I would probably get five SX-8300 and be completely happy - I mean if I could sell all my speakers and do it all over again. :D

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
SX-8300 is out of my range.. I will be using the 6300 with my Rythmik sub....and Adding a second F12 sub if needed. If this doesn't make me happy I put some Cerwin Vega 15's in my Amazon shopping cart to hold.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
SX-8300 is out of my range.. I will be using the 6300 with my Rythmik sub....and Adding a second F12 sub if needed. If this doesn't make me happy I put some Cerwin Vega 15's in my Amazon shopping cart to hold.:)
Dual SX-6300/R + Dual F12 + XT32 Dual Sub EQ DEQ would be fantastic.

No Cerwin Vega, please. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Ha.... RBH ordered just now... Should have them in a few weeks. Now time to get the room ready for them. Next will be the new AVR Pre and TV. Looking forward to the bank account being down to Zero again. So much easier to manage:eek:.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ha.... RBH ordered just now... Should have them in a few weeks. Now time to get the room ready for them. Next will be the new AVR Pre and TV. Looking forward to the bank account being down to Zero again. So much easier to manage:eek:.
So what's the plan for Ascend, ATI, Parasound, Marantz?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So what's the plan for Ascend, ATI, Parasound, Marantz?
Parasound is staying. Marantz was sold and then they guy backed out after he said they sounded like crap :rolleyes:..
ATI is staying for sure.

My only thing that I am unsure on is the Ascend speakers. They are really good but not enough for my main system. I can either move them to a second system, use them as surrounds or sell them to make up part of the money for the RBH purchase...
I think I may regret selling the Ascend's if I did... Who knows. I may just keep them all and have a good collection to hand down to my two boys.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
For your budget I'd have checked out the Phil3 s. Effortless bass and the airy upper mids and highs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Parasound is staying. Marantz was sold and then they guy backed out after he said they sounded like crap :rolleyes:..
ATI is staying for sure.

My only thing that I am unsure on is the Ascend speakers. They are really good but not enough for my main system. I can either move them to a second system, use them as surrounds or sell them to make up part of the money for the RBH purchase...
I think I may regret selling the Ascend's if I did... Who knows. I may just keep them all and have a good collection to hand down to my two boys.
I see 2 RBH, 2 Ascend monitors, 1 Rythmik sub. Besides the Marantz, what's in your bedroom?

Are you thinking Parasound + ATI + RBH for 2.0 music setup?

AVR + Ascend + Rythmik for movies?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For your budget I'd have checked out the Phil3 s. Effortless bass and the airy upper mids and highs.
Aren't the Phil3 $4K?

The RBH SX-6300/R has an MSRP of about $3,300.

Darn, I could have sold him my Phil3 for $3K. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I see 2 RBH, 2 Ascend monitors, 1 Rythmik sub. Besides the Marantz, what's in your bedroom?

Are you thinking Parasound + ATI + RBH for 2.0 music setup?

AVR + Ascend + Rythmik for movies?
Marantz was in my bedroom with my Infinity 363 towers. I gave the towers to my 16 year old son. Marantz will go back into bedroom with the Ascends for now. The RBH will be used in my 2.1 set up with the ATI and Parasound until I can make it a full Audio/HT room. If I sell the Ascends I can just use the Marantz with my old RTi-8 towers... Who know. I have a lot to play with.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Phil 3 does look super. The RBH will be the foundation for anything that I use moving forward. At least I hope. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
From everything I have read and the owners who I have spoken too, the RBH should be fantastic. I trust a few close friends who suggested them over other brands that I was looking at. I have no regrets taking the plunge on these..

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Not that the RBH are bad but the Phil3 will give you better bass across the low mid spectrum. Aside from giving you the upper sound you like

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not that the RBH are bad but the Phil3 will give you better bass across the low mid spectrum. Aside from giving you the upper sound you like
Well, if he doesn't like the RBH SX-6300/R, I would be 100% happy to trade him my piano gloss mahogany red Phil3 + shipping (since my Phil3 piano gloss mahogany costs more). ;) :D

My plan is to sell all the speakers in my family room to get the RBH SX-8300, but the SX-6300/R will do. :D

Oops, now everyone knows why I was pushing for the SX-8300. :D

Hey, does anyone know someone who wants to trade his SX-8300 for my Phil3? :D

Not a bad idea to trade speakers around to find the best fit.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
If they don't work then I will contact you by PM Acu. :confused:

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Sometimes you have to go with your gut and keep the Rythmik plugged in... To be honest... I forgot about these speakers and didn't even think of them. If they don't work out then I'll give the 3's a whirl... Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis