Any of you guys into headphones?

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
warpdrive said:
Wow, I thought I clicked on the wrong thread :eek:

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying another set. I've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD600, Beyer DT880 or Sennheiser HD595

I'm leaning away from the HD600 just because it's a warmer, darker sounding headphone (first impressions), almost too much so. The 650 is too much for $ for me although it sounds great. The 880 and 595 would be a less of a shock coming from the Grado's but still be complemetary. They should also be more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. I dig my Grado's for rock and pop but sometimes they are just too unforgiving in the high frequencies depending on the source material.

I use 650s, but have also gone through a few 595s. They are a fun set of headphones. Bass is a bit loose for my tastes, but their forward presentation and lively sound make them a great choice for most music, especially rock. Low impedance also makes them source friendly. I haven't tried 880s, but hear they are similar to the 595 in certain ways.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback. Did you find that the headband plastic creaks at all on the 595?

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
warpdrive said:
Thanks for the feedback. Did you find that the headband plastic creaks at all on the 595?

No. They are well made and very comfortable.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
warpdrive said:
Wow, I thought I clicked on the wrong thread :eek:

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying another set. I've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD600, Beyer DT880 or Sennheiser HD595

I'm leaning away from the HD600 just because it's a warmer, darker sounding headphone (first impressions), almost too much so. The 650 is too much for $ for me although it sounds great. The 880 and 595 would be a less of a shock coming from the Grado's but still be complemetary. They should also be more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. I dig my Grado's for rock and pop but sometimes they are just too unforgiving in the high frequencies depending on the source material.
Does Senns still make the HD580? That is my favorite except I want to really rock then it's the Grado 80. The 580 does need a headphone amp or a receiver to drive it however since the sound gets pretty muddy if driven from a portable player.

S

slwiser

Audiophyte
Headphones:
ATH-W1000
Beyer DT880 with cardas
Grado SR-80
Beyer DT770-80
ETy4P

Headroom MicroDAC/MicroAmp (desktop module).

iRiver iHP-120 handheld hard driver music jukebox.

BlackSilver and mini-Tosklink optical cables

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Sleestack said:
I use 650s, but have also gone through a few 595s. They are a fun set of headphones. Bass is a bit loose for my tastes, but their forward presentation and lively sound make them a great choice for most music, especially rock. Low impedance also makes them source friendly.
Right now, the 595s are available for $160 USD, and 650s for $300. Are the 650s worth the extra $140?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Fastnbulbous said:
Right now, the 595s are available for $160 USD, and 650s for $300. Are the 650s worth the extra $140?
For me, I would spend the extra for the 650s. I bought a pair of the 595s a few years ago and returned them because they were too bright for me. But only your ears can answer what sounds best for you. I would buy them both and return the poorer sounding of the two.

Nick

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
I have no doubt the 650 will sound better. The question is, will it be $140 better? I can't tell much from the specs. Are they built any better? More comfortable?

I wish I could find someplace that stocked both.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
OneCall has the Senns HD580s for $160. You would have to work real hard to tell the difference, if at any, between the HD580 and HD600. Have not heard the 650s, so I don't know how much they up the ante.

Nick

T

tla536

Enthusiast
Sennheiser RS130

I have a pair of Sennheiser RS130 wireless and love them. I was just put on 3rd shift for 6 months and on the weekends I still stay up until about 6:00 AM. I use them for watching TV or a movie without disturbing my wife or daughter. I also found out that I can go outside or down in the basement and still hear wonderful. If you like wireless and the feature of SRS (switchable surround mode) is great for watching a DVD late at night. Oh one more thing, my house is 2100 Sq Ft on first floor and a full basement on 1 acre of land just to give you some idea of coverage.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
I've been leaning towards the HD 650. But then I've been reading about the AKG K701. They're both about $317. Oh decisions!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis