Any NAD folks around here?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I recently have gone through my fare share of equipment lately and have finally settled on the NAD C352 integrated amp. This is after my CD player started having problems as well as a receiver I owned previously. It was the sound that ended up getting me, just like it did before. There is something my ear likes about there sound. Hopefully things work out with this piece. It seems NAD has not had the QC issues in the amps and integrated's as much as the receivers and CD/DVD players.

Cheers,
Glenn

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
LaserMark4, you obviously have good taste...

A fan of Martin Logan and NAD??? You have great taste in AV gear :D .

As soon as I can convince my wife we need to spen $3000+ on a pair of speakers, I'll be getting that pair of ML speakers I have been eyeing up for years. I missed an opportunity to pick up a set of used Aerius i speakers about a year ago, been kicking myself ever since.

Ya, the NAD power amp you are looking at looks like a solid unit. What do they want for it? I guess it depends on the price they are asking as to whether or not it's a good deal.

L

LaserMark4

Enthusiast
The NAD pair (T163/T973) can be had for around $2,600-$2,700 with some patience-- that's basically new with a warranty. One's available for $2,599 I noticed just this week. I think that is a lot of bang for the buck in comparison to a lot of stuff I have looked/listened to.

And yes, ML's are just superb-- I just can't say enough for them. Be patient and look for the right deal-- there are always a lot of good deals to be had if you zone in on the exact product your're looking for, and then find the "one". The web has transformed the opportunities these last few years.

I think you cannot go wrong in the Aerius/Aeon/Ascent slot, which are a real sweet spot at "ecomonical" levels per 'se in the late used market. Certainly you could go bigger, but any of those three will give you awesome listening in a home, especially when you put a couple of SVS/HSU/Outlaw subs along side of them. Then add the ultimate center (ML Theatre)-- and you will have all the sound and excitement you will ever need or imagine, IMO. A one in a hundred HT/music experience-- certainly it will be the best on your block.

Resale is also forever, so once you are in, you can continue to swap/adjust ML's and not incur a whole lot more $$ for years to come if you take care of the stuff. I know a lot of guys who are life'rs with ML, and swapping for their 4th or 5th pair in 15 years or so.

It's all good though, right?

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
i have a question. Might sound a little silly. Do you say NAD as in nad , one word, or do you say it N A D like spelling it out, N-A-D? :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Seriously...

I say it as one word, like the second syllable in "gonad".

Monkeyfister

Monkeyfister

Audiophyte
Yes, We're Out Here!!!

I just purchased an NAD T743 A/V Receiver, having saved and scrimped for a year to get IT and at LEAST get 5 good speakers, and a decent DVD/CD player with which to enjoy it.

As I am new to the "High-End" world, and only just beginning the upward upgrade spiral, I am sure we'll have plenty of discussions.

I listen to music and radio and game far more than I watch TV or movies, so THX wasn't a big necessary draw-- money v. quality sound and features was. I'm a huge fan of that clean, transparent NAD sound, and the soft-clipping is well, I like it, but, I guess it could be subjective. I bought a pair of AR 2052s some years back. I always thought that they were *OK* sounding. My 15 year-old Olympus STA-2160 (yeah I was DUE an upgrade) just made the ARs sound thin and weedy. Good bass but muddy. But, NOW!!!! Man, those speakers drip with lushness and clarity.

I just did a comparison between the B&W line and my AR 2052s-- freq. response is deeper in the ARs with only a small +/- varience difference, and sensitivity is fairly close. So, for the US$100.00 I spent for the pair, I think coupled with my *older* DM600i's, that I will be good for sound until the next lump of cash falls on me. :)

Here's to NAD, and good discussions!

L

LarsVend

Audiophyte
NAD Set

I've have an NAD 7175PE (receiver), 5240 (CD) and 6340 (cassette) for years - they've been great. I'm getting rid of the set though (pre-move) along with the last KEF wood speakers (that I'm aware of), the C95's (floor-standing).

G

Good Ear

Audiophyte
Old Naddie

I just bought a whole stack of vintage Nad gear from a local dealer thats closing his storefront. I got a Nad 7600 reciever, the old 910 surround processor, the old series 20 tuner and a Parasound hca-500 amp. I don't even own any speakers yet but when I do I'll let you know how it sounds.
Send Money

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
I have a NAD 7155 stereo receiver that all of my TV, DVDs, and music plays through. I am currently contemplating going 5.1 and using a pre pro and 3 NAD 2155 stereo power amps. You can get a 2155 off of ebay for under $100.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The NAD pair (T163/T973) can be had for around $2,600-$2,700 with some patience-- that's basically new with a warranty. One's available for $2,599 I noticed just this week. I think that is a lot of bang for the buck in comparison to a lot of stuff I have looked/listened to.

And yes, ML's are just superb-- I just can't say enough for them. Be patient and look for the right deal-- there are always a lot of good deals to be had if you zone in on the exact product your're looking for, and then find the "one". The web has transformed the opportunities these last few years.

I think you cannot go wrong in the Aerius/Aeon/Ascent slot, which are a real sweet spot at "ecomonical" levels per 'se in the late used market. Certainly you could go bigger, but any of those three will give you awesome listening in a home, especially when you put a couple of SVS/HSU/Outlaw subs along side of them. Then add the ultimate center (ML Theatre)-- and you will have all the sound and excitement you will ever need or imagine, IMO. A one in a hundred HT/music experience-- certainly it will be the best on your block.

Resale is also forever, so once you are in, you can continue to swap/adjust ML's and not incur a whole lot more $$ for years to come if you take care of the stuff. I know a lot of guys who are life'rs with ML, and swapping for their 4th or 5th pair in 15 years or so.

It's all good though, right?
Ah, fellow brother!

I have a new rig starring ML Summits, powered by T163+T973. I got the latter combo at a very interesting price as refurbished. The Summits drop to 0.7 ohms @ 20khz, and the NAD has yet to break a sweat. I will say, however, that the pre/pro fails to correctly matrix an analog two channel source. I don't really care, and the dealer doesn't even know yet as a result. Digital inputs matrix just fine. Honestly, of all the Summit owners out there, I probably use the least "classiest" electronics. I had to cut budget somewhere, and for now I am very, very happy.

I am just mildly considering upgrading/trading in for the T-175 due shortly. I will PM you if this site allows me to (first day posting here).

Cheers!

DoH! PM denied, I must have at least 5 posts. I will sometime PM you with that NAD refurbed combo at $1,850 or less, 1-yr warranty. If you want details sooner, PM me at AVS.

Last edited:

bholz

Enthusiast
Well, this looks like a good place for me to post this question....

I have a NAD 7250PE receiver from 1988 (Made in Japan). I pulled this out of my main system a few years ago and replaced it with a T763 when I upgraded my main system to support HT and SACD/DVD-A.

The 7250 now lives in my workout room with a SONY CDP-X339ES (1992) where it drives some even older Boston Acoustics A150 Series II speakers (circa 1983).

Now for the question, I have recently started getting static from this unit in the right channel (both A & B speakers) when I power it on. After the unit warms up, the noises go away. I was wondering if anyone might have some idea as to the cause of the problem and how much it might cost to correct?

thanks,
Bill

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe its bad electrolytic capacitors? They exhibit their issues when they are cold, and do better when the amp warms up. If you don't replace them before total end stage failure or total short, you might lose other circuitry as well. This is what I have learned anyways. I have no idea how much they might cost to replace. Good luck!

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
I have some nad amps that I've bridged to run my mains (and now the center). My first experience with NAD was a 314 integrated amp (still use it to this day). I'm finding great deals on their older amps that were made in japan (nad 2155, nad2600a).

For the money the used older amps cannot be beat! :D

Great thread!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis