Any Holiday Sales Thread

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I know these are in no way "audiophile" but if you know a youngster that would like some "quality" audio at their computer station (or wherever) they are pretty darn awesome (and a t a great price):
I gave my daughter a set way back whenever and she loved them (and started her own audiophile journey!).
I actually bought these about ten years ago for second computer laptop set-up. They were like $200 back then. For as little as they are, they are surprisingly good. My daughter is doing a simple projector set-up for her bedroom and I'm going to giver these. They still work perfectly.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Never seen Shield TV Pro (2019) below $199
Now Amazon has on sale at $20 off at $179:

Pro vs Non-pro: Pro has 3gb vs 2gb memory, 16 vs 8gb storage, and 2x USB3 ports vs non-pro without any USB ports, only SD card port. Pro could expand internal storage with a fast USB SSD drive. Pro version has 1gig wired network port. Lastly, this one includes Plex Server (included hardware transcoding with Plex pass)
Netflix button could be reprogrammed to something else (like a shortcut to Plex with a simple trick)
It's not a p

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Pro vs Non-pro: Pro has 3gb vs 2gb memory, 16 vs 8gb storage, and 2x USB3 ports vs non-pro without any USB ports, only SD card port. Pro could expand internal storage with a fast USB SSD drive. Pro version has 1gig wired network port. Lastly, this one includes Plex Server (included hardware transcoding with Plex pass)
Netflix button could be reprogrammed to something else (like a shortcut to Plex with a simple trick)
It's not a p
Is this a Roku on steroids? Or is it a totally different creature?
What is the memory used for? Caching the streamed content?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this a Roku on steroids? Or is it a totally different creature?
What is the memory used for? Caching the streamed content?
It's like Roku in some ways - both streaming clients, but Shield could be used as a gaming platform in a few ways:
a) lower end, mobile-style gaming
b)streaming hi-end gaming, rendered by gaming PC with nvidia gpu
c) AAA games streamed directly from Nvidia cloud platform (subscription needed)
It could also replace your home Plex SERVER - this is where additional (fast) storage is needed to keep additional metadata (album art, covers, and other stuff) - You could use either a large (slow) external USB hard drive to serve media or a home Network storage (NAS)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Fire cube 1st gen 4K 16 gb $39! When purchasing for a cheaper buy it from Amazon through woot website. $42 shipped. With woot it's $50.
Received it yesterday and setup was fast. To me seems faster than the Fire stick 4K 8gb it has the same ram, but more storage 16gb, so maybe storage makes it a bit faster. Both with wifi signal. So far only used 5gb. So far impressed and for a refurbished looks new with plastic and all. The ethernet attachment is cool to have as well. 42 bucks I'm happy so far. All sold out.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic

It's not a p
I would suggest for anyone who wants to purchase this I would get it from BestBuy, it is the same price and you can get 3 months of Tidal HiFi a 60 dollar value free or consider 40 dollars as they always provide a 30 day free trial to new subscribers. Free additional savings.

The 4K hdr+ is probably coming out soon, it’s dropped in price everywhere

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a 6-month Tidal with Sprint promo. It has gotten much worse after Jay-Z started using it as his own personal album promotional platform. The music selection is ok. I won't pay my hard earned money for it.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I had a 6-month Tidal with Sprint promo. It has gotten much worse after Jay-Z started using it as his own personal album promotional platform. The music selection is ok. I won't pay my hard earned money for it.
Oh hands down, wasn’t bad, I had a free trial and I canceled before trial ended. It’s okay, I want try Quboz next or Amazon HD. Trying to get flac files minimum as I got some good quality headphones and enjoy flac even though between free YouTube and that, hardly much of difference.

I hate MQA, and I also dislike Jay-z, so I’m not paying them crap. I just tried to see how good the service was and this hype on flac and MQA. And now it’s 19.99 used to be 1499 a few months ago. Quboz is 12.50 if you don’t plan on downloading. But again it’s considered a discount on top of that purchase price, might as well.

That unit is okay, but lack of hdr+ is basically useless if you have a high end TV that uses hdr+. I have a 2080 ti on my pc and that’s far more substantial than that unit and streaming a movie from my pc to my TV looks like garbage vs what my tv produces on built in apps which are hitting the 4K/120 hdr+

You would assume that video card has better processing than the TV, at a 1000 each original price, and it’s 1440p at 4K/100-110 FPS on games. Just a different process I guess

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Good price.
TV’s are too much of a rip, I bought a 65” Samsung Q90R in March for 800. They get replaced every year, and from what I understood all these crazy high end TVs die quickly, so investing a lot for 5 years isn’t worth it. The technology isn’t up to date, or I should say the cutting costs in manufacturing.

You got to dig deep for TV’s, but they are out there. The Q60T 65” is 900 and I am comparing apples to apples, but the Q90R out performs or is overall nearly equal to the Q90T.

Got to get the right generation, the one before the Q90R did the same thing, it was better than the Q90R. Q9F I believe and that was the 2018 model.

Not a Samsung fanboy either, just a cheap son of a gun :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
TV’s are too much of a rip, I bought a 65” Samsung Q90R in March for 800. They get replaced every year, and from what I understood all these crazy high end TVs die quickly, so investing a lot for 5 years isn’t worth it. The technology isn’t up to date, or I should say the cutting costs in manufacturing.

You got to dig deep for TV’s, but they are out there. The Q60T 65” is 900 and I am comparing apples to apples, but the Q90R out performs or is overall nearly equal to the Q90T.

Got to get the right generation, the one before the Q90R did the same thing, it was better than the Q90R. Q9F I believe and that was the 2018 model.

Not a Samsung fanboy either, just a cheap son of a gun :D
Cheap? shoot bro I'm cheap! :D my 4K 55" Vizio is as bottom feeder as one gets. I paid like umm $338 before tax. I had money at the time for a much better 4K could've gotten their M series easily more nits, better blacks, brighter bigger better. But I went at my age I sit about 7 ft from it just how much better for 700 bucks more? Still gonna be a 55" no matter what. Plus I was saving up at the time for one like her I had two more payments to make and she was all mine for the weekend!!
CC9F45C3-64E6-47CD-9AEB-08B6F8BE4D00.gif

Last edited:
M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Cheap? shoot bro I'm cheap! :D my 4K 55" Vizio is as bottom feeder as one gets. I paid like umm $338 before tax. I had money at the time for a much better 4K could've gotten their M series easily more nits, better blacks, brighter bigger better. But I went at my age I sit about 7 ft from it just how much better for 700 bucks more? Still gonna be a 55" no matter what. Plus I was saving up at the time for one like her I had two more payments to make and she was all mine for the weekend!!
View attachment 44005
Man, see there’s cheap and upgrades. So you buy 400 now, 3 years later another 400. That’s smart, for a tv that’s 6 700. Technology advances

Before I bought my Q90, my last tv was a 2007 Sony Bravia 40” that I paid 140 for at Best Buy. I don’t watch tv really so 13 years I didn’t spend on a TV. I still got that tv and it works great.

But since the pandemic I got no work, so I started watching tv more. My Sony didn’t even have arc. So in 13 years I spent 70 per year on tvs considering the value of both.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Man, see there’s cheap and upgrades. So you buy 400 now, 3 years later another 400. That’s smart, for a tv that’s 6 700. Technology advances

Before I bought my Q90, my last tv was a 2007 Sony Bravia 40” that I paid 140 for at Best Buy. I don’t watch tv really so 13 years I didn’t spend on a TV. I still got that tv and it works great.

But since the pandemic I got no work, so I started watching tv more. My Sony didn’t even have arc. So in 13 years I spent 70 per year on tvs considering the value of both.
I just can't see spending 7, 8 g's on a tv. But thats just me not that theres anything wrong with spending that much if moneys no issues. My Son spent over 8k on a Sony 75" a lil over a years ago. Its nice and all but 8K! wow! but than he has millions I don't so cheapo man I am.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I just can't see spending 7, 8 g's on a tv. But thats just me not that theres anything wrong with spending that much if moneys no issues. My Son spent over 8k on a Sony 75" a lil over a years ago. Its nice and all but 8K! wow! but than he has millions I don't so cheapo man I am.
That makes perfect sense, that’s over the top. Even if I had a lot of money that wouldn’t make sense to me. The benefits are marginal. I wouldn’t doubt that 5 years later or by now for certain the Q90R will outperform it. That’s why it doesn’t make sense.

The technology is quickly changing. But that’s why the newer the technology the more chance of cutting corners and poor manufacturing process with those cut costs leading to product failure even sooner.

This year and or 2022 the newer technology will drop which should be far better than what happened the last 5 years and so setting yourself for a new tv in 2023 would be wise. Buy a 2022 model and just save a bunch.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
2 Jamo 803 2 801 and center channel.

all bookshelves @ Amazon sold by SoundAcousticDesign
$229

Jamo Concert 9 series C97 II for 399 each
books are 299 @ Crutchfield

Jamo S809 open box/used towers $139-169 pair @ Adorama, saw them new for 329 at Amazon I believe

sorry lazy to post links found it on my pc

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Only a few hours left on this one...
AKG N700NCM2 ANC Over-Ear Headphones (NEW) - Black - $94.99 - Free shipping for Prime members https://electronics.woot.com/offers/akg-n700ncm2-anc-over-ear-headphones-new-black-1?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app
Good looking out on the post, but two things I want to point out. It’s 121 on amazon right now not on sale, so 299 maybe original msrp but it’s only 30 dollar saving atm. Second, I guess Samsung bought akg, at least that’s what it says on amazon. So this definitely not going to sound flight ✈

Just my input for anyone consider. Thanks for posting though appreciate you sharing the savings

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis