Any harm leaving sub on?

V

Vart

Audioholic
Is there any harm in leaving a sub on instead of in auto? The cheapo Dayton I have in the bedroom shuts off way too quickly and it get pretty annoying listening to it come on and off.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
First, I don't think that there's any real harm leaving it on. It'll draw more power on average, but not so much that it'll break the bank.

Second, you might be able to fix that power switching in auto mode while you're listening to things. The sensor in the sub that switches it on and off works by sensing the input signal. If the signal is too low, then the sub won't sense it and it'll turn off. You can help overcome that by decreasing the volume on the sub itself and increase the sub signal level going to the sub from your source (I'm guessing a receiver). That will increase the signal level going to the sensor, helping to keep it on, while not changing the overall volume of the sub.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How is the sub connected? Turn it off when you aren't using it and turn it on when you are. Yes, this is likely due to the sub not having enough input signal, which presumably means you are using line level to feed it. You can try a Y splitter to both R&L preamp inputs to see if that helps; they can be had for a few bucks.

V

Vart

Audioholic
First, I don't think that there's any real harm leaving it on. It'll draw more power on average, but not so much that it'll break the bank.

Second, you might be able to fix that power switching in auto mode while you're listening to things. The sensor in the sub that switches it on and off works by sensing the input signal. If the signal is too low, then the sub won't sense it and it'll turn off. You can help overcome that by decreasing the volume on the sub itself and increase the sub signal level going to the sub from your source (I'm guessing a receiver). That will increase the signal level going to the sensor, helping to keep it on, while not changing the overall volume of the sub.
I tried raising the output on the receiver and lowering the gain on the sub amp. It helped a little, but it still seems to be turning off too quickly. I think I'll just go ahead and leave it on all the time.

C

curtisG

Audiophyte
I leave mine on 24/7 no issues... here
I did too until one of them caught on fire in the middle of the night - smoke damage mostly but was scary enough.
I now have all of subs on an switched outlet that turns on automatically via a trigger signal from the Pre-processor.

D

DavidPJ

Enthusiast
I would say it depends on how often you use your sub. We only use our Velodyne once a week if that so I always shut it off after using it. If I used it daily or 3-4 times per week I would just leave it in auto.

roleydre

roleydre

Audioholic
yea my sony saw 2500 does this ,i ,just like others said, turned the crossover up and it helped ,but sometimes during movies ,nothing is going on and it will still shut off,and it takes about 4 seconds to come back on,sometimes i can hear it click,i just pretty much deal with it...and youd be surprised how well this 100 watt ten inch sub can sound especially with a digital connection....and i use mine from when i get home, everyday, till i go to bed...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
....and youd be surprised how well this 100 watt ten inch sub can sound especially with a digital connection....
I've never seen a sub with a digital connection. Every one I've owned and see are all analog.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis