Any good powered subwoofer kits?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I was thinking about building one from Parts Express. Now I may just buy an SVS 500 watt 12" sealed one. Also thinking Emotiva Airmotiv 12". Any opinions on Either? The Emotiva is down-firing with a front passive radiator.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was thinking about building one from Parts Express. Now I may just buy an SVS 500 watt 12" sealed one. Also thinking Emotiva Airmotiv 12". Any opinions on Either? The Emotiva is down-firing with a front passive radiator.
Well a passive radiator acts basically like a port.
Seems like we covered it, but a sealed sub in that space imo, isn’t gonna be enough. Have to remember the sub will see the 14x24(and other open areas) not just the 14x14. FWIW, SVS has a longer track record building subwoofers. Plus they have the bill of rights and in home trial with free shipping BOTH ways. Their CS is also as good as it gets. Seems emo doesn’t have the same rep.
Which SVS are you looking at?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
This one. It is sealed. https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB-2000-Subwoofer-Black-Ash/dp/B00IE5MOUM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2CMZZI1VGG03H&keywords=svs+subwoofers&qid=1573266998&sprefix=svs,aps,317&sr=8-3

This one is ported and $100 more.
Just to be clear, I should not consider sealed ones for my purpose or application?

I do know that a PR acts like a port, so besides the reputation of the SVS, the Emotiva with the PR might be a good one? Seems so. They do make high-quality amps though.

So it might be the ported SVS for $800 or the Emo with passive radiator for $700.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This one. It is sealed. https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB-2000-Subwoofer-Black-Ash/dp/B00IE5MOUM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2CMZZI1VGG03H&keywords=svs+subwoofers&qid=1573266998&sprefix=svs,aps,317&sr=8-3

This one is ported and $100 more.
Just to be clear, I should not consider sealed ones for my purpose or application?

I do know that a PR acts like a port, so besides the reputation of the SVS, the Emotiva with the PR might be a good one? Seems so. They do make high-quality amps though.

So it might be the ported SVS for $800 or the Emo with passive radiator for $700.
Might find some disagreement on the high-quality Emotiva thing around here (they told Gene to fuggedaboudit on a repair of one plus he's had poor experience and has stated he will not be reviewing their products going forward). Probably their power amp production has nothing to do with the amp on the sub, either. https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/emotiva-xmc-2.115575/page-3#post-1336856

I'd also think ported would be the way to go. Also consider the Hsu VTF-2 mk5.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In the 2k series, I’d choose the PC.

As HD said, HSU is worth looking at too.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Ok! The HSU is probably what I'll order. $577 with shipping is pretty good too. Probably no tax. I hope anyway. Thx for the tip!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just bought the HSU unit! Now to list my 2 BIC's on Craiglsist for probably about $120 each. That'll defray the cost of the new one!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I just bought the HSU unit! Now to list my 2 BIC's on Craiglsist for probably about $120 each. That'll defray the cost of the new one!
Congrats, it'll be a whole new experience for you compared to the BIC's!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The HSU VTF-2 MK5 arrived today. Where should I start with all of the settings on the back panel? And the two ports have optional plugs. Try both open? Or one?
hsu.JPG
My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A1060.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Can’t speak toward your personal taste, but I’d start with extended mode, 1 port plugged. Follow associated instructions for tuning it

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I do not have anything called extended mode. Or it could be terminology I do not understand.
controls.JPG

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Hopefully someone can help me out to get me started. Then I'll get my calibration mic out. I didn't change any of my other speakers, but the settings for the receiver are going from two subs to one, so I want to re-calibrate.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Hsu says when calibrating switch crossover to out set gain at 9:00 and Q at .7 run calibration and tweak the Q to taste

I have that same sub. In my opinion best sub 600 dollar subwoofer around. Pun intended

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Fantastic info. Thx GZ. Holy buckets man. I did not know what I was missing until now. I barely got this thing turned up and no comparison to the two BICs. It is a whole different league of sound.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Holy buckets
I had to look that up, BTW.

... and somehow got my act together enough to make my 2nd system a system again. It's a whole different league of sound compared to no sound. Thanks for the motivation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis