Any good movies/music DVDs to test speaker quality?

T

thecoolguy11

Audioholic Intern
Are there any good DVDs (movies/music) that I can buy to test the quality and range of my new Athena speakers?

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
For Movies:

saving Private Ryan, Finding Nemo, Matrix, Master and Commander

Music:

Jennifer Warner, Jacintha and Sheffield Demo Discs

Bicster

Bicster

Audioholic Intern
Try the new Star Wars DVD's. The opening scene in A New Hope with the star destroyer will give your speakers (and subwoofers) a fine workout indeed.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Most people like to use U571 (the depth charge scene) to test subs. You might want to use Courage Under Fire to test seperation. The A-10 attack scene has a napalm drop with an explosion that moves from right to left, with Apache attack helicopters in each surround (on 5.1), and a steady M16 from the front. The missing man scene at the end is pretty awesome as well, with the sound from one F18 clearly lifting up and above the remaining group of three.

A more subtle way of testing seperation would be to use Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider. There is a scene where Michael Moriarity tosses dirt from a shovel over his shoulder. The sound of the dirt leaves the front left and actually hits the ground on the back right, as if the dirt was passing right over your head. It is extremely subtle compared to many of the overkill surround moves (George Lucas- you KNOW who you are), but it will show you how fine a detail your set-up can produce.

jrohland

jrohland

Enthusiast
Still the greatest after all these years

The movie with the best soundtrack ever is--and there is no contest here--Apocalypse Now. The sound in every scene makes you believe your are there.

Here are stand out scenes where the audio is amazing:

Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) in his motel room near the begining where he burns a hole through the photograph of his wife with a cigarette. Listen for the sizzle of the burn.

The two soldiers walking up the stairs in Willards hotel. The echos of their boots in the stairway is perfect.

The helicopter attack on the beach where Lt. Colonel Kilgore (Robert Duval) is directing the chopper attack on the radio while flying his own chopper. The cacophany of the soundtrack in that scene is extreme but, important sounds are clearly distiguishable.

There are many other amazing sonic moments all through the film.

In short, the soundtrack of Apocalypse Now is both subtle and gross, always supportive and, highly immersive. Even by todays standards, I've not heard it's equal. It will give your HT audio (speakers) a real test. That is, can they deliver the subtle goodness of this film's soundtrack.

jrohland

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
thecoolguy11 said:
Are there any good DVDs (movies/music) that I can buy to test the quality and range of my new Athena speakers?
Chicago-based band Tortoise...any of their albums will do. Instrumental, jazz/funk/fusion, percussive, groove, trippy, sonically marvelous music. :D The album, "Standards," is a classic. It will test the full range of your speakers from the highest crispy highs to the lowest dirty-dirty bass and every glorious note in-between. A real sonic workout.

Jason

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis