Any experience with ARC extenders?

K

koorosh_

Audiophyte
Total amateur here trying to connect a new projector (Optoma UHZ50) to a AV receiver (Marantz 1604 connected to 7.1 speakers) 40 feet away and CAD5e cables in between. No chance of running a new wire.

I am assuming I need an ARC extender and wondering if anyone has any advice?

Configurations:

Source to Projector to extender to AVR.

Really would appreciate any input!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Total amateur here trying to connect a new projector (Optoma UHZ50) to a AV receiver (Marantz 1604 connected to 7.1 speakers) 40 feet away and CAD5e cables in between. No chance of running a new wire.

I am assuming I need an ARC extender and wondering if anyone has any advice?

Configurations:

Source to Projector to extender to AVR.

Really would appreciate any input!

For 40 feet you are going to have to bite the bullet and run a new cable. That is going to require a hybrid active optical cable. If you don't you will be SOL.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
For 40 feet you are going to have to bite the bullet and run a new cable. That is going to require a hybrid active optical cable. If you don't you will be SOL.
Is it the ARC requirement or existing CAT5 cable that demands an active hybrid cable instead? The cheap HDMI to ethernet adapters only do 1080p, but when you get into the pro HDBaseT adapters they can do 4k up to 35m over CAT6.

K

koorosh_

Audiophyte
Is it the ARC requirement or existing CAT5 cable that demands an active hybrid cable instead? The cheap HDMI to ethernet adapters only do 1080p, but when you get into the pro HDBaseT adapters they can do 4k up to 35m over CAT6.
Sorry not sure what your question means...I need to use an extender because there is no way to run a new wire without a lot of cost. It seems to me that the most feasible solution is using the CAD5 wire already in place. The wire was previously used to transmit video using an HDMI extender but my AVR can't handle 4k60hz (only 30hz) so I am connecting the source to the projector and trying to get the sound to the AVR via ARC/CAD5.

I see HDMI extenders with ARC costing 250-400 bucks but I just need to transmit the sound signal and not video.

Do you know of HDbaseT adapter for sound only? I thought there are extenders between ARC and Sonos etc?

Sorry if I seem clueless cuz I kinda am!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sorry not sure what your question means...I need to use an extender because there is no way to run a new wire without a lot of cost. It seems to me that the most feasible solution is using the CAD5 wire already in place. The wire was previously used to transmit video using an HDMI extender but my AVR can't handle 4k60hz (only 30hz) so I am connecting the source to the projector and trying to get the sound to the AVR via ARC/CAD5.

I see HDMI extenders with ARC costing 250-400 bucks but I just need to transmit the sound signal and not video.

Do you know of HDbaseT adapter for sound only? I thought there are extenders between ARC and Sonos etc?

Sorry if I seem clueless cuz I kinda am!

I don't see how that could work. You would have to convert the digital audio from the e ARC to a digital signal that you could send down your Cat 5. I certainly don't know how to do that.

Technology changes. So this won't be the last time you face this. There is an absolute rule which you broke, and that is that you never run a hard to change cable, that is not run in conduit. So you need to bite the bullet and run conduit to your TV. Then as technology changes, you can change to any cable you want in minutes.
Having a professional installation absolutely requires this. Anything less is just a lousy installation and system.
If you system is any good it is worth the expense.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm really not sure about your setup and why a ARC extender (whatever that is??). Why not split the audio out prior to going all the way to the PJ (I'm assuming you're using a TV also is why you're not running it through the AVR in and out?).

You could use something like this as the optical output is a direct pass through. I wouldn't use the analog out.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think the op may need to contact the projector manufacturer, Optoma USA, to see if this is feasible. It appears that the op wants to connect a 4k@60Hz source component to the projector on HDMI-2 and then feed the audio to the AVR via eARC/ARC through HDMI-1 but at 4k@30Hz, using an HDBaseT extender. If this is for audio only I suppose that the video resolution does not really matter. You could pass a 1080p signal to the AVR since only the audio component is needed. You may actually need to go below 4k@30Hz because the cabling is CAT5 and not CAT6, but CAT5 may be ok if the run is short enough. The question I would have for the manufacturer is whether the projector can do the down conversion from 4k@60 over eARC? The extender also has to support eARC/ARC for the projector to recognize it as an ARC connection.

I would like to hear @BMXTRIX thoughts on this one as he may have some experience in this.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think the op may need to contact the projector manufacturer, Optoma USA, to see if this is feasible. It appears that the op wants to connect a 4k@60Hz source component to the projector on HDMI-2 and then feed the audio to the AVR via eARC/ARC through HDMI-1 but at 4k@30Hz, using an HDBaseT extender. If this is for audio only I suppose that the video resolution does not really matter. You could pass a 1080p signal to the AVR since only the audio component is needed. You may actually need to go below 4k@30Hz because the cabling is CAT5 and not CAT6, but CAT5 may be ok if the run is short enough. The question I would have for the manufacturer is whether the projector can do the down conversion from 4k@60 over eARC? The extender also has to support eARC/ARC for the projector to recognize it as an ARC connection.

I would like to hear @BMXTRIX thoughts on this one as he may have some experience in this.
Gotcha, 4k baluns that work aren't cheap but I can do 4k 60hz at my church (Sony PTZ production cameras) it's about 70' to the longest run that is 4k, but your advise re contacting the manufacturer would be best.

Also, I'm curious what the source is and whether it's worth it this way or would a new AVR just simply everything if he is gonna spend $400 in parts.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Gotcha, 4k baluns that work aren't cheap but I can do 4k 60hz at my church (Sony PTZ production cameras) it's about 70' to the longest run that is 4k, but your advise re contacting the manufacturer would be best.

Also, I'm curious what the source is and whether it's worth it this way or would a new AVR just simply everything if he is gonna spend $400 in parts.
Yes, I should have thought more about sources. What is the source connecting to the projector? And if there are additional sources connected to the AVR, then the video resolution over the extender may indeed matter.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, without getting all that into it, the reality is that I've never used any HDMI extenders w/ARC or eARC functionality at all. I've very specifically avoided them as they rarely make a lot of sense in my installations. ARC is often buggy and headache inducing and HDMI-CEC rarely works in a manner that is fully useful.

That doesn't mean I haven't done a bit of digging, and products like this should actually work alright for this type of purpose...

While I haven't used this specific product, I've used gear from these guys before and it has worked as expected. There are similar products out there as well, but at a price of about $260 or so, this is right about where I would expect it to be. Right now I think HDBT 3.0 gear which might work is significantly overpriced and doesn't seem as directed towards the consumer market space.

Since a cable which supports 4K would be necessary as it is, I would expect that this may have been necessary at some point as it is.

I would also TEST with the existing HDMI cable as HDMI ARC is not a feature which takes up significant bandwidth and may be supported by existing cabling without the need to buy anything at all.

At the end of the day, I would also take a hard look at the AV receiver as that will need to get onto the 4K bandwagon at some point.

If wanting to hit a better price point, you could ditch the ARC audio and instead use the optical audio output of the projector and just use optical audio baluns to just send audio back to the AVR.

That'll save $200 and I expect may be less of a headache than trying to get HDMI ARC to work perfectly.

A shame about the projector choice... Lots of Optoma issues as of late. Especially their UHD series of 4K models.

K

koorosh_

Audiophyte
Yes, I should have thought more about sources. What is the source connecting to the projector? And if there are additional sources connected to the AVR, then the video resolution over the extender may indeed matter.
The source at this point is a Google Chromecast 4K. It outputs at 4k60hz. I've attached it directly to the projector because the AVR can only output 30hz. I just to get the sound from the projector to the AVR via the CAT5..hence the ARC extender question.

K

koorosh_

Audiophyte
This is exactly the sort of expertise I was hoping to find here! Thanks!

Re Optoma...I hear you! I didn't want to move the ceiling brackets and it was too close to the screen for Epson so I had to go with Optoma...not blowing my socks off and not nearly as bright as advertised but what do I know?

Re replacing the AV receiver...if you have a suggestion for a 7.1 system that is about 400-500 USD, I am all ears...I have already spent 150 bucks on an AV Access HDMI extender that can do 4K@60hz over my CAT5 (before I learned that it didn't handle ARC)...Of course I have to then learn about how to connect the central remote control to it!

K

koorosh_

Audiophyte
So, without getting all that into it, the reality is that I've never used any HDMI extenders w/ARC or eARC functionality at all. I've very specifically avoided them as they rarely make a lot of sense in my installations. ARC is often buggy and headache inducing and HDMI-CEC rarely works in a manner that is fully useful.

That doesn't mean I haven't done a bit of digging, and products like this should actually work alright for this type of purpose...

While I haven't used this specific product, I've used gear from these guys before and it has worked as expected. There are similar products out there as well, but at a price of about $260 or so, this is right about where I would expect it to be. Right now I think HDBT 3.0 gear which might work is significantly overpriced and doesn't seem as directed towards the consumer market space.

Since a cable which supports 4K would be necessary as it is, I would expect that this may have been necessary at some point as it is.

I would also TEST with the existing HDMI cable as HDMI ARC is not a feature which takes up significant bandwidth and may be supported by existing cabling without the need to buy anything at all.

At the end of the day, I would also take a hard look at the AV receiver as that will need to get onto the 4K bandwagon at some point.

If wanting to hit a better price point, you could ditch the ARC audio and instead use the optical audio output of the projector and just use optical audio baluns to just send audio back to the AVR.

That'll save $200 and I expect may be less of a headache than trying to get HDMI ARC to work perfectly.

A shame about the projector choice... Lots of Optoma issues as of late. Especially their UHD series of 4K models.

Re Optoma...I hear you! I didn't want to move the ceiling brackets and it was too close to the screen for Epson so I had to go with Optoma...not blowing my socks off and not nearly as bright as advertised but what do I know?

Re replacing the AV receiver...if you have a suggestion for a 7.1 system that is about 400-500 USD, I am all ears...I have already spent 150 bucks on an AV Access HDMI extender that can do 4K@60hz over my CAT5 (before I learned that it didn't handle ARC)...Of course I have to then learn about how to connect the central remote control to it!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

Happy to help (when I can).

Which extender did you get from them?

I find it helpful to really understand what you own so that way I can address any pitfalls, or just let you know that it should work really well.

I would definitely consider a new AVR over a different extender for sure, and you can get the Yamaha A6A right now for about $500. It's a refurbished unit, but has a 3-year warranty, which says a lot...
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxv6a-rb/yamaha-rx-v6a-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-8k-a/v-receiver/1.html

Not sure what AVR you are using now. Accessories4Less has a bunch of options and is a well respected reseller.

K

koorosh_

Audiophyte
Happy to help (when I can).

Which extender did you get from them?

I find it helpful to really understand what you own so that way I can address any pitfalls, or just let you know that it should work really well.

I would definitely consider a new AVR over a different extender for sure, and you can get the Yamaha A6A right now for about $500. It's a refurbished unit, but has a 3-year warranty, which says a lot...
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxv6a-rb/yamaha-rx-v6a-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-8k-a/v-receiver/1.html

Not sure what AVR you are using now. Accessories4Less has a bunch of options and is a well respected reseller.
Thanks!

The source is google Chromecast 4K.

The current AVR is Marantz NR1604. It can handle 4k but only at 30Hz. The AVR is located in a separate room and is connected to 7 speakers which are built-in ...4 into the ceiling and 3 above the screen.

The projector is an Optoma UHZ50. It has ARC/eARC output... apparently ATMOS is not supported.

And I recently purchased the HDMI extender AV Access 4kex70-h2 to link the projector to the AVR using the intervening CAT5 cable.

If I exchange the extender with one that handles ARC, then theoretically I should be all set. B

I have also seen devices that seem to transmit only ARC signal over CAT5 like below...that could work in theory too:

I live in Canada so sadly the seller you recommended for the Yamaha is not available. If I change my AVR...I would have to keep my HDMI extender too. Because my speaker system is installed in-ceiling...I doubt I could get the benefits of Atmos.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What 4k 60hz content are they providing currently? Just curious as I haven't looked..

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
In Canada closest AVR price wise would be the Denon AVR-X1700H from Electronics for Less, currently C$888 down from C$950. The Sony DH-790 only does 5.1.2. There are some Onkyo 7.2 AVRs that are under $1000 as well.

The Binary ARC extender only transmits audio, so your only source would be the Chromecast. With full ARC support you can connect other sources to the AVR.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, the Marantz AVR you linked is one of the slim models. I would never use a slim model unless your equipment space really is tight and it needs that product for proper airflow and reliability. I've used them many times over the years in those situations, and they are a fantastic product. Marantz has newer models that fit right into that category and do a great job. I would think most new Denon/Marantz/Yamaha models with 7.1 audio output would be ideal replacements and if you're happy with your current sound levels, most would be perfectly fine as replacements.

I have NOT played around with ARC units like the one you asked about. I do think they exist, and I would bet they work well, but at some point, the AVR will need to be upgraded to a more current model with full 4K support, which is were I'd look to direct my money towards if you can find a deal up there.

K

koorosh_

Audiophyte
What 4k 60hz content are they providing currently? Just curious as I haven't looked..
Okay, I thought all their content is 60hz but your question made me search... apparently all their movies are at 24fps?

So now I am more confused...if I am watching streaming content and a rare downloaded rental, do I even need an AVR that outputs 60hz? My current setup handles only 30hz.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, I thought all their content is 60hz but your question made me search... apparently all their movies are at 24fps?

So now I am more confused...if I am watching streaming content and a rare downloaded rental, do I even need an AVR that outputs 60hz? My current setup handles only 30hz.

With 3:2 pulldown the PJ will almost match the 30hz refresh rate, 29.97fps for movies. The only issue that *may* arise is live sports, and then even 60hz isn't going to be a massive improvement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis