Any downsides to putting my entertainment system in garage?

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Just wanted to get some feedback (positive or negative) regarding moving everything into garage. I have a standard 2 car garage (nothing special) and live in Southern California. I was thinking about getting one of those tube vent portable ACs and running the tube under a slightly opened garage door for summer.

My plan is to buy a big piece of carpet or rug and put that in center of garage for walking. I would have the main speakers, center channel, tv, and 2 small speakers at top in back of garage facing the garage door. I would put my small couch by garage door.

just some info about my system.. I have a 7.2 system ( 7 speakers and 2 subs). The main reason I’m doing this is my dog gets scared every time I turn on the audio. Also I could run the system late night as it’s not close to the rooms of other people in the household, just mine. I also believe the garage is insulated enough to not disturb neighbors so I could really crank it up.

I just have to park my car in driveway now, which I’m fine with.

Any feedback?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I say go for it! Maybe just start with a stereo setup first and see how it sounds.

The only thing I'd wonder about is acoustics. Out here in AZ it gets pretty hot in the summer too. Other than that it sounds like it'd be a pretty cool mancave type thing. One of my buddies had his garage sorta set up like you describe (with only a boom box type stereo for music, no tv). and that's where we always hung out when visiting. He wasn't much of an audiophile tho so I can't really comment on acoustics. I don't know anyone who's gone full surround in a garage.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I say go for it! Maybe just start with a stereo setup first and see how it sounds.

The only thing I'd wonder about is acoustics. Out here in AZ it gets pretty hot in the summer too. Other than that it sounds like it'd be a pretty cool mancave type thing. One of my buddies had his garage sorta set up like you describe (with only a boom box type stereo for music, no tv). and that's where we always hung out when visiting. He wasn't much of an audiophile tho so I can't really comment on acoustics. I don't know anyone who's gone full surround in a garage.
How do you know I’m a man? Jk. I actually am.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I think it should be OK. I have an acoustic piano, and I could see the problem with putting it in the garage because of the temperature and humidity fluctuations, so I would never put it in there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a system in my garage turned into a workshop (7.3). I like the interlocking foam mats from Costco on the concrete floors there and in my basement (nice underfoot, particularly barefoot). It doesn't get so cold or hot or humid out there I worry about the gear.

Those portable ACs may not do a lot in a two car garage (mine is 1.5 car size with high vaulted ceilings and little insulation), or at least figure out a way to vent better IMO; I have such a portable AC for my living room with an appropriate window/exhaust port I worked up, plus those suckers are fairly loud for listening sessions....but I think it would struggle in the garage and my little electric space heaters are only good right next to where I sit at my bench in the winter. Socal I'd mostly worry about summer heat of course (having lived there for a while myself but if you're on/near the coast that might not be so bad).

I was just watching a video about how dogs' more sensitive hearing can make use of loud sound systems an issue....perhaps even in the garage (plus the dog wouldn't be with you, it might find it stressful being left out?). I've been thinking about getting a dog myself.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a system in my garage turned into a workshop (7.3). I like the interlocking foam mats from Costco on the concrete floors there and in my basement (nice underfoot, particularly barefoot). It doesn't get so cold or hot or humid out there I worry about the gear.

Those portable ACs may not do a lot in a two car garage (mine is 1.5 car size with high vaulted ceilings and little insulation), or at least figure out a way to vent better IMO; I have such a portable AC for my living room with an appropriate window/exhaust port I worked up, plus those suckers are fairly loud for listening sessions....but I think it would struggle in the garage and my little electric space heaters are only good right next to where I sit at my bench in the winter. Socal I'd mostly worry about summer heat of course (having lived there for a while myself but if you're on/near the coast that might not be so bad).

I was just watching a video about how dogs' more sensitive hearing can make use of loud sound systems an issue....perhaps even in the garage (plus the dog wouldn't be with you, it might find it stressful being left out?). I've been thinking about getting a dog myself.....
My dogs are what helps keep me in check. Bad enough I'd be destroying my own hearing I'd feel terrible if I knew I was doing it to my dogs. So I have a "dogs are inside" limit and only really turn it up when they go outside.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I really have to look into these portable ACs again as I haven’t used one in about six or seven years and I’m wondering if they’ve gotten quieter and better. If they have, maybe limit my sessions to nights in the summertime and every other season I can do whenever.

My other option is to put it in my room, which is a small master bedroom, but it’s closer to where my dog normally stays ( he’s a house dog ).The garage will definitely be more spacious.

The other thing is, with the garage, I’m thinking I can fool my dog into not thinking I’m home by not entering the home when I get home and going directly to the garage, that way he doesn’t feel alone. He’s not as smart or attentive as he used to be as he’s 17 years old now.

Last edited:
ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I converted my last houses garage into a HT. 7.2.4 setup, and it was great! We had theater speakers, and a 200" diagonal 2.4 AT screen. It was better than going to any movie theater. We had the garage door down, and made a false wall to cover the garage door, and covered the false wall with Roxul r60 rockboard. We also plumbed our AC into the garage as the AC unit was in the garage.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

K

Kevi9590

Enthusiast
Youre acoustics might be different depending on whether you turned your garage into a livable area or not. Sound is different on straight concrete slab than carpet for example. But if you can overcome that or arent particularly nitpicky, I say go for it. The garage is a great hang out spot when you got the boys over.
Also, if your garage isnt sealed to the outside, you might want to consider cleaning out your equipment now and again. Bugs can get into your electronics and die there. Smells bad and bad for electronics.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Youre acoustics might be different depending on whether you turned your garage into a livable area or not. Sound is different on straight concrete slab than carpet for example. But if you can overcome that or arent particularly nitpicky, I say go for it. The garage is a great hang out spot when you got the boys over.
Also, if your garage isnt sealed to the outside, you might want to consider cleaning out your equipment now and again. Bugs can get into your electronics and die there. Smells bad and bad for electronics.
I’m going to buy a 12 x 12 or 12 x 14 slab of carpet from Home Depot today..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I think carpet plus pad will give you the best results, acoustically speaking. Pad by itself might be a little better than carpet by itself for absorption.

K

Kevi9590

Enthusiast
You can always get the carpet, especially if its on the thicker side of the spectrum, and then get the pad afterwards to see how you like it or how your measurements are. Thats if youre just laying a rectangle cut of carpet down like a rug. But from what I remember when I replaced padding under my carpet 5 years ago, it was inexpensive.

But I know first hand that budgets vary by person and even time of year for me lol.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Go for it and enjoy. I do suggest like others have noted, thicker carpet pad.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I would make sure the inside of the garage isn't visible from the street or along the street. It's not hard to break into an overhead garage door if a lock isn't used- an automatic door opener does almost nothing to provide security.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I would make sure the inside of the garage isn't visible from the street or along the street. It's not hard to break into an overhead garage door if a lock isn't used- an automatic door opener does almost nothing to provide security.
Good point. Plus I have a surveillance camera mounted on top of garage door, which is clearly visible. But I can lock the garage by putting a screwdriver in one of the holes, which I’ve done before when the electricity went out and I had to open the garage manually.

Most of the time, the people in the household will be entering the garage from the back door.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you know I’m a man? Jk. I actually am.
Hey, I didn't imply one way or the other. I said "mancave" because I've never heard of "womancave" or "nonbinarycave". Calling it a mancave doesn't exclude any gender from appreciating it.

/end mansplaining...

I'm so progressive... :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis