Any Django Fans in here?

Logman

Logman

Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of the jazz swing guitarist Django Reinhardt.

Anyone else enjoy his work?

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Django was great. I have a couple of albums on vinyl. If you like him try David Grisman. Some of it is very Django like especially "Hot Dawg" (A&M) which has a Django cover and Stephane Grapelli playing on two cuts. :cool:

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I started listening to Django when I heard he was the inspiration behind Tony Iommi getting back to playing guitar after Tony lost the fingertips on his frethand. It's amazing what Django can do with only 2 fingers.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Le Hot Club...

Logman said:
I'm a big fan of the jazz swing guitarist Django Reinhardt.

Anyone else enjoy his work?
As a guitarist, how could I not?

There is a cartoon within the animated film "The Triplets Of Belleville"...It's sort of a preface to what follows in the film. In it, the scene shows a Django-like character puffin' on a smoke and playin' with his two fingers...a nice little tribute IMHO...

I have a few compilation cassettes(yes, cassettes)...some from the Jazz Heritage Society among my Segovia, Williams, Atkins, Frisell, Paul, Sor, Ellis, Byrd, Benson, Klugh, blah...blah...blah...collection...did I mention I'm into guitar?

jimHJJ(...play gypsy, play...)

Logman

Logman

Enthusiast
Cool to see some other Django fans out there.

In a quest to find some of his music in notation and tab form, I purchased two great hand compiled booklets from a gentleman in France. It's great fun learning those songs. Some of the fingerings are simply amazing. The first time I tried to play them, I was thinking there is no way!

Fortunately after many times practicing, I've been able to master a few of the songs. If I watch the things my left hand does during them, I am still amazed. I often think "how did this guy do it?"

Here's one of the songs I'm referring to:
http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?printer=0&local=main/r/reinhardt_django/tears.tab
The bass G# in the second bar took me a while to master.

Here's a beautiful rendition of Nuages:
http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?printer=0&local=main/r/reinhardt_django/nuages.tab

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis