Any BBQers in here?

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
Just as the title says are there any avid BBQers in here? I'm BBQing my first brisket today and been up since 0530 getting it going. Just wanted to see if any one else has the same of love of fire, beer and meat that i do. If you do are you all gas or charcoal kind of guys? me i'm a charcoal only.:D

just to take it a step further what's your favorite thing to smoke or grill?

I'm just trying to pass the time for the next 12 hours until I get to partake in any BBQ goodness.

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
Sheep said:
While I'm not an avid BBQer, I have a nice 4 burner stainless steel grill that I LOVE to fire up. I think I posted a picture of it on here somewhere, let me find it.

(some time passes by...)

Ah, here it is.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2357&d=1134511466

Gotta love Beer-dogs.

SheepStar
That's a fine looking grill you got there:cool: is that a burner on the side? I always wanted a grill that had one just for sauteeing onions or mushrooms and the like.

warhummer

warhummer

Junior Audioholic
While the propane is nice for a quick burger to toss on the grill, charcoal is the hands down winner for me. I bought one of those chimney starters and 20 minutes later I have a small inferno ready to go. I got one of Weber's Performer grills (basically the standard kettle built into a rollable cart with a large work surface and some other cool stuff). I got into a 4 hour Brisket marathon with some Hickory chunks that turned out awesome. Clean up is a little bit a pain but well worth it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
drunkmunk said:
That's a fine looking grill you got there:cool: is that a burner on the side? I always wanted a grill that had one just for sauteeing onions or mushrooms and the like.
Yep.

Its also has a rotisserie burner. The thing will pin 600 degrees in 10 minutes.

SheepStar

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
While the propane is nice for a quick burger to toss on the grill, charcoal is the hands down winner for me. I bought one of those chimney starters and 20 minutes later I have a small inferno ready to go. I got one of Weber's Performer grills (basically the standard kettle built into a rollable cart with a large work surface and some other cool stuff). I got into a 4 hour Brisket marathon with some Hickory chunks that turned out awesome. Clean up is a little bit a pain but well worth it.
I've seen the performer and would like to get one but I already have a weber gold and love it. weber's are by far the best grill you can get. right now i'm cooking my brisket on a brinkman pitmaster deluxe (side firebox). I also use a chimney but i hate dealing with the ashes from the newspaper (haven't found a good way of dealing with that yet).

did you put foil on your brisket at all? i'm considering doing it about half way through just to keep it from drying out.

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
My favorite is beer can chicken, it’s the juiciest chicken I have ever had.

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic

sorry about the crappy pic but haven't found a good way of resizing yet. but i love beer can chicken also:D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
BBQ? BBQ! Oh yeah...you have happened upon the Mothership of BBQers! :D

I believe Mulester7 is fresh off a winning contest effort and shares his magnificent sauce with those deserving. And I ... er ... well ... how can I say this humbly?...am THE best BBQer this side of the Cascade Mountains. :eek: LOL.

The Weber classic Silver is my vehicle of choice and traditional charcoal/wood smoking of the beast is the way to go for me. Cedar planked, wild Spring Chinook salmon anyone?! My place. Tonight.

(Gads, I'm starting to talk like Mulester7. :eek: )

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
rjbudz said:
Cedar planked, wild Spring Chinook salmon anyone?! My place. Tonight.

(Gads, I'm starting to talk like Mulester7. :eek: )
I LOVE salmon but i dry it out almost every d@#n time:( I miss living in washington and can't wait to go back when i retire. Ribs are always a favorite crowd pleaser of mine. slow cooked porky goodness mmmm....

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Charcoal/wood here!

I have a Char-Griller Super Pro with the side fire box. Chunk coal or woodchips for me! I have 20lbs+ of alder wood chips for smokin' and I plan on doing 4 racks of baby backs on the 4th.

Fire, beer, meat and music piping out from the back door! Nothing better...

My hat is off to you drunkmunk. Brisket is a fine art and worth every effort!

Use a mister/spayer filled with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice concentrate to keep it moist. You can also use other concentrate such as orange or cranberry. Actually you could fill a cookbook with all the different mopping and basting mixs used for BBQ. Use foil to "tent" but use the spray as well to keep the outside surface from burning/barking. The spray has sugars that will caramelize and create that wonderful crunchy without being carbon. :cool:

Also... I use a chimney to start but I use a propane torch to light them. I put the flame through the lowest holes in the side to ignite the bottoms coals . takes about 1 minute to get em started and another 20 minutes for the whole chimney to be ready. I now have 2 of them so I can stoke the fire box.

Happy BBQing everyone!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Dang...it's 8:30 in the morning here, and I'm gettin' mighty hungry for....RIBS. Great tips, you guys! :)

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
rjbudz said:
... Cedar planked, wild Spring Chinook salmon anyone?! My place. Tonight.
OK, you're on! (You forgot I'm only a couple blocks away, didn't cha?)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
drunkmunk said:
I LOVE salmon but i dry it out almost every d@#n time:( I miss living in washington and can't wait to go back when i retire. Ribs are always a favorite crowd pleaser of mine. slow cooked porky goodness mmmm....
Man, this is a fer piece from Joejah, Munk. How'd you get trapped in that muggy part of the world?

Try soaking a 3/4" plank of cedar over night (in water). It should be larger than the fish by >1" all around. Use the indirect cooking method..coals off to the side. Think about cooking it s l o w l y, and slow it down some more. When it no longer looks raw, it's done....maybe 20 minutes, depending upon your bbq's temperature.

Here are a few recipes to get you started...or to help you recall the good ol' days back in the northwest. ;)

http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/plankrecipes.htm

Most people overcook their fish. Salmon especially should be left moist and flexible to the touch and the tongue.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gas is what I normally use too, as it is easy and works fine, but MESQUITE charcoal (real wood, not the stuff you buy at the store) is easily the best there is for BBQing. A few local places carry it in 13lb bags. I haven't tried the cedar plank with the salmon, I usually just put it in tin foil with some butter and various seasonings and cook it reall slow indirectly like you said. Works great, just doesn't get as much smoke on it.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Charcoal fo sho! Although I just got my first grill last year, I've been loving it. We just had a good ol' southern BBQ party last weekend...pork ribs, chicken quarters, and beef "shoulder ribs" (not sure why they called 'em that...but *shrug*)

It was a fun and sometimes confusing mess to cook...my first time trying multiple temp ranges...but they turned out amazing. Especially the pork ribs. Since it was a southern cooking party...ain't nothing as good for sides as okra and jalapeno cheesy grits.

I haven't had the ambition to try out brisket or fajitas yet...but hopefully that'll come sometime this summer.

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
have a Char-Griller Super Pro with the side fire box. Chunk coal or woodchips for me! I have 20lbs+ of alder wood chips for smokin' and I plan on doing 4 racks of baby backs on the 4th.

Fire, beer, meat and music piping out from the back door! Nothing better...

My hat is off to you drunkmunk. Brisket is a fine art and worth every effort!

Use a mister/spayer filled with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice concentrate to keep it moist. You can also use other concentrate such as orange or cranberry. Actually you could fill a cookbook with all the different mopping and basting mixs used for BBQ. Use foil to "tent" but use the spray as well to keep the outside surface from burning/barking. The spray has sugars that will caramelize and create that wonderful crunchy without being carbon.

Also... I use a chimney to start but I use a propane torch to light them. I put the flame through the lowest holes in the side to ignite the bottoms coals . takes about 1 minute to get em started and another 20 minutes for the whole chimney to be ready. I now have 2 of them so I can stoke the fire box.

Happy BBQing everyone!
today's brisket is cowboy charcoal (only lump coal i can find) and hickory. I like mesquite but my wife complains if the smoke gets to heavy of flavor. I really like using apple wood for alot of stuff (usually for pork or chicken). my mop is pretty much the left over rub with apple vinegar and beer. it's looking pretty good. I've never teepee'd one before but thinking about trying to tinfoil this one in another hour or two. maybe i'll try your method out after this post :D

Man, this is a fer piece from Joejah, Munk. How'd you get trapped in that muggy part of the world?

Try soaking a 3/4" plank of cedar over night (in water). It should be larger than the fish by >1" all around. Use the indirect cooking method..coals off to the side. Think about cooking it s l o w l y, and slow it down some more. When it no longer looks raw, it's done....maybe 20 minutes, depending upon your bbq's temperature.

Here are a few recipes to get you started...or to help you recall the good ol' days back in the northwest.
i've never used a plank before although I have seen them around. i'll definately pick one up before the next time i try some salmon. appreciate the link gonna print a few recipes out and save'em.

I'm in the army and currently stationed here in georgia hence the trapped in augusta. got another 12 months until i can get out of here then hopefully back to washington or colorado (i miss the mountains and the salmon run)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
drunkmunk said:
did you put foil on your brisket at all? i'm considering doing it about half way through just to keep it from drying out.
.....thumbs up on using foil at some point to keep the meat juicy inside....dried out meat says you got to make some sort of gravy, and we don't want to have to do that with grilling, do we?.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Guys, here's something I learned with chicken....a whole chicken....sawed down the back and opened up with the cavity-wall exposed, with the cavity-wall set directly over the charcoal bed in the middle of the cooker, three layers high for coalbed....you're using a Weber 22 1/2 kettle w/rake system, by the way....with the bottom vents open full with top vents at 2/3's, with the chicken placed over the coals, you go find something to do for 30-35 minutes....you come back, take off the top, and flip the monster over and get the skin/meat side blackened a bit "in spots" with the cooker top off, flames licking at the bird....should be about 6-8 minutes total, the oil from the skin will fall quickly........have a basket large enough to hold the whole chicken fashioned out of thick aluminum foil ready....it's amazing the little bowls and baskets you can fashion from foil....anyhow, flip the bird back over into the basket of foil with the cavity-wall down, and spray misty hot water from a squirt bottle on the bird until he's WET and some is standing in the bottom of the foil basket, and some would be about 6 tablespoons....then slop him good with your favorite bbq sauce for dead chicken, and place a top cover piece of foil over the bird, above the bird, that you roll-twist TIGHT, no leaks, with the basket....set the foiled domed basket off the fire still inside the cooker, replace the top with all the vents open full, and go do something else for 30 minutes....dare ya' to try it.....

....edit....and some of you may have a Midas Touch with a foil basket of only one layer, I don't know, but I don't....I make a basket like for a whole chicken with about 4 sheets....you'll only need one for the dome, though....plenty of water lying on the bottom....not an inch, either, haha....you know.....

.....edit second....you'll never go wrong sprinkling that bird heavy with Mrs. Dash "Chicken" when you've placed it over the fire the first time, neithern.....

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....just another point about the craftsmanship in a Weber kettle charcoaler....the top swivels free, to place the top vents, at which side you want the fire, inside, to be cooking hotter, with air being pulled through that side of the charcoal bed seeking a direct route to the top vents....yeah, you charcoal 7,496,634,769 chickens with the same Weber and you'll have a revelation or two......

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis