Any AV receivers let you watch video, listen to another audio source?

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
Imagine you're a Chicago sports fan. And an audioholic.

Say it is Sunday. You have folks, ...who have long suffered through things like the 'Chicago Cubs', ...over to watch the Bears game. Optimism is overflowing at the kickoff, but soon the Bears offensive line has collapsed, Jay Cutler is injured, and we're down 14 points going into the 4th quarter, and nobody will kick to Hester. Your guests drink heavily, and give Lovie Smith the stink-eye. A grim scene.

Perfection would be an AVR that let you watch cable (say HDMI1-IN) but listen to Pandora/Oppo/Etc (Say Net or HDMI2-IN), rather than sad and confused local sportscasters. The party must go on, after all. One more Chicago loss is just a bump in the road.

So do any AVRs allow you to select video from one source, and audio independently from another? All in zone one, and a single HDMI (HDMI1-OUT) out to the TV? I don't know of a way to do this on my Yamaha(s).

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I remember my old Denon 3806 let me put it on any input and then cycle through the active video inputs.

Which receiver to you have?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Haha, I'm good friends with some die hard Chitown friends, lol. No, I've never heard of a unit that can do that.

Easiest way is to run a shotgun component connection to the TV, simply flip the input when you want it. Run audio too in case you ever want to have it at a lower volume with music, or in case of emergency raise up the volume when they actually kicked to Hester who is going for 110 yds. Component typically looks just as good as HDMI, sometimes it doesn't, other times it's better, just compare. Also, you can hook up an antenna, and if you get a signal, it will be even better than the cable box. (FOX and CBS show a lot of NFL.)

If the TV is up on a wall and it's too hard to run more wire, perhaps an HDMI splitter, however I admit I'm afraid the signal could die at the switcher, most particularly with STBs. I think there could be compatibility issues with HDMI in this particular scenario. I guess read up on some reviews, buy one that you can return easily.

Oh, agarwalro's experience is the first time I've come across something like that . . . of course it's still more expensive this way.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
UMC-200 preamp says you can do that with it, but I haven't gotten it to work yet :)

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I appreciate the help.

I remember my old Denon 3806 let me put it on any input and then cycle through the active video inputs.

Which receiver to you have?
Thanks agarwalro. I should learn more about Denon receivers. I've always had Yamahas. I have a pair of A-2010(s) in the Den/bedroom and a V7xx something in the garage.

Josten: I think the HDMI splitter is the short term option. Split the cable HDMI, running one to my receiver, and one directly to the TV for video only.

J_Garcia: You know, I do think I saw that reading about Emo stuff. That sounds like a nice feature of the UMC-200. I love my XPA-5, but I wasn't sure Emo Pre-Pros were ready for prime time like their amps are.

I'd like this feature in my next AVR(s). Maybe a splitter is the best option now. I've never used an HDMI splitter. Anybody have a link to a decent one? (Chicago baseball won't vastly improve soon!)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Actually, a lot of receivers allow you to watch video and listen to a different audio source...but there is a catch. Because audio follows video you have to have the audio source connected to an audio only input - like CD or Tape. You select the video input source first, then select the audio input source. I've always had Onkyos in the past but have been looking into Denons lately. I know the current xx13 Denon models also allow you to watch one thing and listen to another but the catch there is you cannot do it if the video source is connected via HDMI. If you have the video source connected using component video, you can select that for the video and then change the audio source to a different input.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The Yamaha receivers have the 'Scene' function allowing you to mix-match video and audio inputs. Maybe you can configure a Scene with STB video and audio from a different input? Changing up the audio input very quick too (in case you want to switch audio from Oppo to Pandora to STB).

Refer to Pg 53, A2010 Owners Manual PDF here.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
The Yamaha receivers have the 'Scene' function allowing you to mix-match video and audio inputs. Maybe you can configure a Scene with STB video and audio from a different input? Changing up the audio input very quick too (in case you want to switch audio from Oppo to Pandora to STB).

Refer to Pg 53, A2010 Owners Manual PDF here.
Thanks agarwaldo. I did look at that, but it is less promising in real life than it looks. The input and 'audio select' options are limited. I appreciate the help, I hope you didn't go to all the work of finding the manual and all. At one time, I thought that looked promising too.

S

sfdoddsy

Audiophyte
The Onkyo receivers and Emotiva UMC200 do it the way mentioned above, you need a separate feed for the audio. It works just fine for the optical feed from my Mac Mini and I use it all the time. I haven't tried with the tuner.

The inability to do this with an HDMI is the main reason I no longer have a Denon/Marantz.

The Anthem prepros will let you mix and match the sound and video of any input with that of another.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis