Any advise on Mirage Onmi S12B sub?

M

Mark512

Audioholic Intern
I am looking to buy a sub in the $500 price range and have looked at several including Velodyne DPS-12 ($549) and the Mirage Omni S12B ($499). Of these two I am leaning towards the Mirage. I have roughly a 15' X 18' room with cathedral ceiling, with tile flooring - not the most ideal but it is the space I have to work with. My receiver is the Yamaha HTR 5560, and I am also considering buying some Paradigm Titans and a new Paradigm CC-170 center channel. I'm pretty sold on the Paradigms, but would like some advice on the quality of the Mirage, or an alternative sub in this price range. Please advise...

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I've heard good things about both subs, but I'm more of a Velo fan. It goes lower than spec and is very muscial from 25hz up. The preset EQs are useful, you can switch from movies to music without a recalibration. If you get the DLS model, you can do this via remote:). I like the build quality better too.

If you're going to pay full price for either, I'd go with a SVS PB10 or 12 ISD. Less features than the Velo, but better extension.

Have fun deciding...

M

Mark512

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply. I went back to Tweeters today and listened to the Velo DLS-3750 and the Mirage side by side, and like the velodyne much better. I'm a little hesitant about going with SVS or Hsu without hearing for myself, but sure sounds like they are highly liked, especially by people in this forum!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Mark512 said:
Thanks for the reply. I went back to Tweeters today and listened to the Velo DLS-3750 and the Mirage side by side, and like the velodyne much better. I'm a little hesitant about going with SVS or Hsu without hearing for myself, but sure sounds like they are highly liked, especially by people in this forum!
I've heard the Velo and a couple of Hsu's...though not side-by-side. I MUCH prefer the Hsu's. I bought the STF-3 for around the same price as the DLS-3750. It has twice the power and digs much deeper and is tighter than the Velo. What else would you like? You've been looking on here, and surely have seen tons of endorsements for Hsu and SVS. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. And if you buy either Hsu or SVS, you can send them back for a full refund during a 30 day review. You're only out the shipping back to the factory.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Vanns is going to have a limited amount of silver 3750s soon for $249 shipped. Last time I looked on their site you could pre-order. For this price and if you like silver (or can hide it) it's a steal. I owned a DPS10 which is the same sub (specs wise). It is tuned to 32hz and plays very accurately from 25hz to about 120hz. Very clean in the Classical/Jazz mode. It hits down to 20hz with great output, but alot of distortion. It doesn't sound bad, just not defined like the higher octaves.

Again if you're going to pay full price...The Hsu is a great option, but I'd go with the best of both, HT/music, in it's class, the PB10 (IMO)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis