Anthem Statement M1 Class D Monobloc Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
While we're not sure how well the Statement M1 will sell, it certainly looks good on paper. Given the 2000 watts of power with a highly efficient Class D design, it certainly will turn heads. Anthem set an impressive list of design goals for themselves and they believe they've achieved them. If so, you may be looking at an amp that will require much less space, can be stacked, outputs more power with less heat, is stable into any load, and sounds as good as any analogue amp. Is that worth $3500 per channel? We're guessing to many high-end users, it is.

Discuss "Anthem Statement M1 Class D Monobloc Preview" here. Read the article.

B

beyond 1000

Enthusiast
I think $3500 is a bit much for a 20lb amp even if it had 10k wpc.

There are many ways to spend your money in hi end audio better than this. :rolleyes:

D

dsmith901

Audiophyte
Overpriced for sure

IMO, for a $3,500 mono amp the specs are nothing to brag about. Measuring at 20-20K Hz is a barely acceptable FR range and a 0.1 THD target is likewise barely acceptable for a high end product. Lots of amps will put out impressive power at 0.1 THD; the trick is to do it at 0.01 or (preferably) less, RMS on a continuous basis. Of course the real test is listening, which given Anthem's highly restricted marketing policies I don't expect to experience.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like an Outlaw M2200 w/ more power to me.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
And the Outlaw 2200 amp is only $350.00 each.

Power Output: 200 watts @ 8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <0.05% THD; 300 watts @ 4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <0.05%

THD Signal to Noise: 112 dB "A" weighted

Input Impedance: >10K Ohms

Gain: +27dB (1.7V sensitivity) for full output

Input Connectors: RCA Jack, XLR Jack

Output Connectors: Five-Way Binding Posts

Power Consumption: 600 watts maximum/<3 watts standby

Trigger Input: 6-35 V DC 4mA

Weight: 18 pounds

Dimensions (H/W/D):1.75" x 17" with feet x 11.5"

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

Yeah, looks quite similar except for the fact that they are totally different.....
The Outlaw is 200W @ 8 ohms, and it's class G.

But the outlaw is interesting too....

In general: To say that the Anthem is just overpriced without even digging deeply into what's inside is a bit too quick if you ask me, if it's close to what they state that it's on top of the class of Class-D amps then it's not so pricey....
If we were only thinking of making everything as dirt cheap as possible...... why don't we all drive around in cars like this?

It does the same as a Camaro, just not as fast..... same as to compare the Outlaw anf the Anthem if you ask me :p

Although it will be interesting to see the new amps based on the Hypex ncore module, they developed a new module with an output impedance so low that it's almost impossible to measure....
something like an output impedance that equals 3 feet of 4 gauge wire :eek:
well although it's a bit unfair still as they're not even close to being in the same leahe as the Anthem when we talk about power...

NC400

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore wp.pdf

They also make completed amps, not only modules for DIY'ers....

It's claimed the ncore is a different animal than the UcD class-d modules... would really like to audition one of these guys....

Last edited:
N

NewYorkBlack

Banned
I personally don't think the price of this monoblock is not too bad.. Heck PassLabs monoblock cost $13,000 and it gives about the same power output.
One should ask if this kinda power is really needed for home theater use? Subs, yes but towers, I pretty much doubt it. So far, Emotiva and Outlaw seems to be the best bang for the buck.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I think $3500 is a bit much for a 20lb amp even if it had 10k wpc.
Since when is worth of an amplifier correlated to its mass?

I'd rather have an amplifier that is lighter, quieter, and more energy efficient for the same power.

It's actually nothing like Outlaw's knockoff of the old NHT A1 monobloc: Class D rather than G, SMPS rather than torroid-based PS, considerably deeper chassis, and roughly 10x more powerful.

Here's a gut shot:

Though for most uses I'd guess the only functional difference between them is that the Anthem would be more energy-efficient at typically-demanded power levels. Unless one's rack isn't deep enough to fit the Anthem, in which case it will be an eyesore compared to the Outlaw.

Perhaps a better way to think of the Anthem amp is as a slightly less powerful but much much better-looking and quieter (because it has no fan) half-height Peavey IPR-3000*. (the IPR-3000 could be 1RU; the only component inside it that wouldn't fit in a 1RU case is 80mm fan. The stock fan is quite loud, but it's just a 12V computer fan, and can be replaced with a quieter one quite easily. One just needs the new fan and either snip some wires or buy an adapter to fit the IPR board's 2-wire plug.)

In comparison, the Anthem has some other nice features, too, such as a 12V trigger and 2-prong power socket to help avoid ground loops.

Of course, one also has to consider that the Peavey amp is under $400. $3100 buys a lot of control gizmos and electricians' time to fix grounding problems…

Now, would I ever buy one of these Anthem amps? No. However, I'd happily pay $3500 for an IPR-3000 with some heat-sinking (to eliminate the fan), a 12V trigger, a glass front panel with two aquamarine-backlit wattmeters... I'd also strongly consider $3500 for an 1RU convection-cooled Class D Anthem (or other brand with similar after-sales support and warranty) amp that was ~150Wx7/8Ω and 250+Wx7/4Ω. The closest thing to that currently available, Harman's similarly-priced Crown Comtech CTS8150 and Lexicon DD-8 twins, is cheaper than that, but has the same power at 8Ω and 4Ω.

*The IPR-3000 can easily be bridged, but it's kind of kludgey. One needs to use two Speakons to do so. The better-looking and slightly more expensive (and, as of yet, vaporware) Crest Prolite versions of the Peavey IPR should do away with that kludge

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will any speaker require more than even 500wpc 8ohms/1000wpc 4ohms?

Will the amp be able to actually draw 2000wpc x 2ch from the house current?

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Some subwoofers, yes if one's playing at reference level.

Maybe some old 80dB/W/m Apogee ribbons or Eminent Technology planars.

For mains, I'd rather have a speaker efficient enough to hit cinema reference peaks on >50W.

Continuously, no. For an actual musical/cinematic peak, probably.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

#1: Yes for peaks, in very very short bursts.... probably.....
In very very short bursts, even powerful amps come to meet the limits and as suggested in some other threads, some symphonic music is extremely dynamic, with a range of more than 60 dB, this requires a lot from speakers and amps.... there's probably never too much power from an amp :p

#2: Yes, but you need > 20A outlets, over here we're OK with standard 16A outlets
And probably a dedicated line for each monoblock :D

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I run two EP2500 amps precisely because I need that much power for my subs to play back single-digit frequencies at reference level. Each EP2500 is on its own dedicated 20A circuit, although it's a 15A outlet since that's what the EP2500 will draw anyway--its ratings are peak from what I recall when speaking with the Behringer support guys.

I bet large-drivers in full-range line arrays (e.g. 4x10" woofers) may also be able to handle 1000W transients for serious dynamic range.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
some symphonic music is extremely dynamic, with a range of more than 60 dB, this requires a lot from speakers and amps.... there's probably never too much power from an amp :p
In such unlikely event, you are right, you need to worry about more than just the amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis