Anthem MCA 325 vs Monolith 3 X 200 Amp

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I'd go for the better deal. I also think you'd not be able to tell the difference if using Dan's Crowns either.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I believe that's a smart marketing move on their part. For real world music and movies contents, they know any high current demand moments are going to be short like a few seconds, so if the load impedance happens to dip down to 2 ohms at those moments there won't be any issue.

Unlike Monolith, Anthem won't tell you the VA rating of their transformers and storage caps, but you can see the nameplates of the caps and that's how I know Monolith uses bigger caps. It is hard to see the nameplates of the their transformers, but you can see and estimate their external diameter and height by measuring and scaling it based on the external dimensions (that they do provide) of the casing.

They described their transformer size "huge" though, I thought that was funny. I actual email them (twice) and asked about their VA rating. Got a non answer the first time, and never got an response the second time. That tells me those huge toroids are likely small relatively speaking.

I'll say that again, their design is smart and efficient. Heavier is not better if it means extra transformer VA and storage capacity that will never be used.

Why do you think their AVRs now only provide 140/150 W class AB amps for the main 5 channels and only about 60W for the other channels? Same answer, just being smart, based on real world needs.
Thanks Peng for that info really appreciate it

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Monolith is built by ATI. I love mine. I sit far from my speakers and I like to turn it up sometimes. It never gets truly hot. Makes my speakers happy.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Personally I'd go for the better deal. I also think you'd not be able to tell the difference if using Dan's Crowns either.
Yeah I love them crowns bro pretty good sound for crazy crazy prices for that kind off power

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I love them crowns bro pretty good sound for crazy crazy prices for that kind off power
Good thing about those is that HD told me he could not hear the fans. I suppose either they don't turn on, or spin very slowly unless you push them hard.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good thing about those is that HD told me he could not hear the fans. I suppose either they don't turn on, or spin very slowly unless you push them hard.
Yeah fan noise has not been an issue in both living room and bedroom usage. Have tried to sneak up on them during spirited use but nothing obvious like some pro amps (altho you can tell that they're running....if they do kick into some high gear at times it's been masked by sound levels). Has this been an issue for you at all, @Danzilla31 ?

D

Djradman36

Enthusiast
Man I love my anthem but considering. Brand new 3 channel Monolith is a $1000 bucks less I'd go with the Monolith I think soundwise blindfolded you couldn't tell the difference to be honest

They have one open box for 900 bucks and some change

I think what your paying for with the Anthem is better build (not by much) fully balanced differential xlr I believe not necessary with short runs and the lighter weight

Not really sure if I had to do it over again I wouldn't go with monoprice for that kind off savings

Hell if you to go all out there eleven channel 3×200 8×100 rms all channels driven is only 400 more then your anthem 11 channels for that amount that's insane
So you’re saying Anthem then right? But sound between the 2 shouldn’t be able to tell a difference

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah fan noise has not been an issue in both living room and bedroom usage. Have tried to sneak up on them during spirited use but nothing obvious like some pro amps (altho you can tell that they're running....if they do kick into some high gear at times it's been masked by sound levels). Has this been an issue for you at all, @Danzilla31 ?
Not one bit I've pushed those babies hard and never heard a peep out of them fans

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So you’re saying Anthem then right? But sound between the 2 shouldn’t be able to tell a difference
The anthem I'm suggesting only because I can tell you keep going back to it it's obvious you love your anthem reciever and you have confidence on the brand and you want to stick with your brand I can understand that I have an Anthem AVM 60 pre pro and I love that baby forget a wife I'd marry the Anthem

From a logical standpoint the logical choice is the Monoprice made by ATI who makes some of the finest amps period in the world just an amazing choice for the money

But go with your heart it's obvious you can afford it were just trying to save you money but the Anthem is a great amp both amps are great but go with what you love and want

This is your audio and your money and you only get so many chances to do it the way you want to so go with your heart or otherwise you'll be looking back wondering what if and it will drive you nuts bro

D

Djradman36

Enthusiast
The anthem I'm suggesting only because I can tell you keep going back to it it's obvious you love your anthem reciever and you have confidence on the brand and you want to stick with your brand I can understand that I have an Anthem AVM 60 pre pro and I love that baby forget a wife I'd marry the Anthem

From a logical standpoint the logical choice is the Monoprice made by ATI who makes some of the finest amps period in the world just an amazing choice for the money

But go with your heart it's obvious you can afford it were just trying to save you money but the Anthem is a great amp both amps are great but go with what you love and want

This is your audio and your money and you only get so many chances to do it the way you want to so go with your heart or otherwise you'll be looking back wondering what if and it will drive you nuts bro
I hear you guys. Thanks!! Between emotiva n monolith, is they similar too? I’ll will decide between those brands.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I hear you guys. Thanks!! Between emotiva n monolith, is they similar too? I’ll will decide between those brands.
Some of us have had issues with Emotiva and there quality these newer models are not what the gen 1 or gen 2 were

Also some members have had issues with them breaking down or issues with getting service outside the warranty

It's not an issue of them paying we'd pay but they no longer service older models once a new gen is out since amps are supposed to last a long time that's an issue

Monoprice Monolith amps are built by ATI they are better quality in my opinion and for less

I'd go with Monolith over Emotiva but that's just my opinion

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You can ask this same question a hundred times, the results will be the same, that some will say yes because they all have their own "sound" and the differences will be audible. Yet others will say no. It is proven that there is no end to such dispute/different opinions.

I tend to agree with Danzilla (we both own Anthem amp), that you should go for the Anthem. To us, class AB amps at the level of the Monolith/ATI and Anthem MCA's, they don't, and shouldn't have any designed sound signature other than to be as accurate/transparent as possible.

I would never buy an amp that was designed to have its own sound signature for obvious reasons unless it comes with multiple and user selectable signatures that include a neutral/transparent setting (only because it might be fun). Your MRX 720's internal amps should also sound audibly the same or almost the same as the MCA power amps if used well below its limit, though as I mentioned many times on this forum, most if not all people are very prone to the Placebo effects. I do hope you are one of them, and will therefore be very happy with the "improved" sound quality the MCA amp will bring you.;) Even if it doesn't, you can at least sit back and enjoy, knowing you will then be able to (not that you would) blow up your 603s before the amp would clip.

At the current sales price and the very high US/CAD ratio, if you are in the US it is best time to buy Anthem amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What? Emo vs Monolith?

You eliminated Anthem for Emo?

I would stick to Anthem vs Monolith.

The Anthem is $2500 and the Monolith is $1100. So I would definitely get the Monolith. :D

Last edited:
D

Djradman36

Enthusiast
What? Emo vs Monolith?

You eliminated Anthem and for Emo?

I would stick to Anthem vs Monolith.

The Anthem is $2500 and the Monolith is $1100. So I would definitely get the Monolith. :D
Sorry I was just wondering between the 2 budget amps. Anthem is still my favorite to get but just debating because of the price

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry I was just wondering between the 2 budget amps. Anthem is still my favorite to get but just debating because of the price
I see. Definitely Monolith then. No comparison. The Monolith is made by ATI, which is one of the best amp companies.

ATI has made amps for most North American amp companies. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Plus if you do get the Monolith and you can spend $2k on the amp just get the 7ch versio....

D

Djradman36

Enthusiast
Would a rotel 1582 stereo amp sound any different than these other amps?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Would a rotel 1582 stereo amp sound any different than these other amps?
No it won't. Rotel is a solid company. They make some nice amps. You can't go wrong if you purchase one. Though if you're going to spend the money, get their RMB-1585 5-channel amp instead.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Get the Monolith 7 and call it a day. Your set for now and future purposes with that, for less than the anthem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis