Anthem AVM-70 8K and Apple TV Start Up Issue

H

HippyDory

Audiophyte
If anyone has experience with the Anthem AVM-70 8k, I am trying to have it automatically turn on when I turn on my Apple TV. It will turn off automatically with my Apple TV, but will not turn on (the TV connected through the Anthem does turn on). I have the CEC turned on and, like I mentioned, the Anthem turns off when I turn off the Apple TV so some signal is being processed. If there is a better place to submit this question/issue, please let me know. FYI - I reached out to Anthem and they said turn on/off CEC and unplug / plug back in my HDMI cables (and keep my versions up to date, which I do, of course). Thanks!

04Auto25

Audiophyte
I have the AVM70 8K as well and have been using it with with the latest Gen AppleTV and an NZ8. Trouble is, when all components are on the AppleTV defaults to 720p. It usually takes 1 to 3 restarts of the AppleTV to get 4k picture. I've ordered new cables but suspect...and hope CEC on the AppleTV is the culprit. I'll try turning CEC off on the apple and hope this fixes my problem.

J

jags880

Audiophyte
@HippyDory did you ever resolve this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing with a last gen AppleTV 4k.

04Auto25

Audiophyte
No, unfortunately not. I have to either restart the Apple tv to get my Jvc NZ8 to get the 4k signal or switch inputs on the AVM70 and back again to the apple input to get the hdmi handshake to sync. I'm using all new certified hdmi cables as well.

Given we have similar equipment I suspect it could be a handshake issue with the AVM70 8K's. I wonder if the 4k versions have the same issue.

Have you been in touch with Anthem? I'll call them to report the issue. Maybe if we both do it'll help?

Keep me updated and I'll do the same.

J

jags880

Audiophyte
I've got the AMV70 4k so I don't think that's the culprit. I've tried high quality cables from a couple different manufacturers and that didn't make a difference either. The part I find strange is that CEC from my Sony A90J works, turns the AVM on/off just fine. I know the CEC on my apple TV works because it works flawlessly with my Marantz 7706. It's something in the interplay of the AppleTV and the Anthem software. I've sent this over to Anthem support and they gave me the usual response to reset everything and check my cables. I'm now trying to get them to log this as a bug.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI CEC is such fun! Universal remotes are far better IME.

AshCountach

AshCountach

Audiophyte
I have an AVM 90 and a new Apple 4K and for some reason if I only turn off my Tv and leave all the other equipment on it will turn off my Apple TV and the Apple TV won't turn on again until I unplug/plug the power to it. I have CEC turned off on everything so I'm not sure why it's behaving this way.

C

captainkmart

Audiophyte
I recently had this same experience, although I have had times where my TV and Anthem would both turn on and off with the Apple TV remote. CEC is a bit of voodoo from my perspective! Having said that, I recently got things working again last night. I've determined the following:

- I think the Apple TV only has the ability to adjust volume (and maybe turn the Anthem off, but not on).
- The CEC signal from the TV is what can turn the Anthem on, so I concentrated on all of the settings on the TV.
- I checked all the CEC settings on my LG OLED TV and they looked OK, but still didn't turn on the Anthem.
- I then looked at External Devices>Universal Control Settings>HDMI 1>Manage Settings and set the Apple TV up as an OTT box then saved the settings. This worked!

I'm sure other brands of TVs have different menu items, but you should be able to find something similar. As I mentioned earlier, I think the ability to turn the Anthem on rests with the TV not the Apple TV. Hopefully this helps!

04Auto25

Audiophyte
I fixed the issue I was having with the help of a member on the avs forum (JVC nz8 thread). Essentially when I'd turn on my system (2022 appletv, Avm70 8k and JVC NZ8) my system would default to 720p resolution and would require a restart of the apple to sync 4k signal.

The JVC has 3 EDID options for HDMI. EDID A on the jvc is for up to 8k signal and below, EDID B is for 4k and EDID C is for 1080p and below. The fix was enabling EDID B (4k) on the JVC. Now everything works as it should.

I reached out to Anthem and they suggested if it's working on EDID B to leave well enough alone which is a little frustrating but I'll accept for now since the apple isn't capable of > 4k anyway.

I suspect this is an Avm70 8k issue as a few others have experienced some issues with their Avm70 8k but the owners of the 4k avm70 haven't. I know hdmi can be problematic but given the Anthem and JVC are both 2.1 and HDCP 2.3 they should generate a 4k signal when EDID is set to option A (4k and 8k).

All my cables are certified 8k. Svs 8k and a Maxon 50' 8k certified fiber cable. IF the problem is a bug in the Anthem I don't suspect we'll get a fix until there's more demand for 8k content.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have my Anthem currently being servcied for the 8k upgrade, I will try my Apple 4k TV when it comes back. I have the last generation 4k 64GB.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If anyone has experience with the Anthem AVM-70 8k, I am trying to have it automatically turn on when I turn on my Apple TV. It will turn off automatically with my Apple TV, but will not turn on (the TV connected through the Anthem does turn on). I have the CEC turned on and, like I mentioned, the Anthem turns off when I turn off the Apple TV so some signal is being processed. If there is a better place to submit this question/issue, please let me know. FYI - I reached out to Anthem and they said turn on/off CEC and unplug / plug back in my HDMI cables (and keep my versions up to date, which I do, of course). Thanks!
Consider yourself lucky! I hate it when one component turns another on and off. In order to make eARC work I have to leave CEC on, on my TV, but can, and do leave it off on the TV. Unfortunately this means my Panasonic BD player turns on the TV when I turn it on, and if I then turn off the TV it turns off the BD player. So if I play an audio disc the TV has to be on! If I disable this, the eARC is disabled. Fortunately I have other players that don't do this in the system. I can see absolutely no advantage whatever to have one component control another. It is just a nuisance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consider yourself lucky! I hate it when one component turns another on and off. In order to make eARC work I have to leave CEC on, on my TV, but can, and do leave it off on the TV. Unfortunately this means my Panasonic BD player turns on the TV when I turn it on, and if I then turn off the TV it turns off the BD player. So if I play an audio disc the TV has to be on! If I disable this, the eARC is disabled. Fortunately I have other players that don't do this in the system. I can see absolutely no advantage whatever to have one component control another. It is just a nuisance.
Yes, why I prefer a universal remote and not bother with hdmi-cec

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, why I prefer a universal remote and not bother with hdmi-cec
Haha, good luck trying to a remote such as Harmony's with Anthem's. It will work good, until you try to program it such that you don't have to do select channels when switch from one to the other. There may be a way to do it, but I am too lazy to search and try for more than 20 minutes. So I have been tolerating having to press the input button and scroll from one channel to the other. Anthem has their weird ways to do things, some good, but there are some bad ones too.:( I missed my Denon already but I don't want to spend a few thousands more to get the AV10.

@Cos warned me that before, but the clearance price on the 4K AVM processor in Canada was too good.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI-CEC is what it is. But, figuring out what it is and how to turn it on or off can be challenging with manufacturers all having different designations for it.

Even though eARC can be used without HDMI-CEC on in the TV and AVR, that does not mean a product by a particular manufacturer has been made to work that way. Use a TV that supports eARC with an AVR that only supports ARC and HDMI-CEC must be turned ON for any audio signal to return to the AVR.

LG TVs will turn Simplink(HDMI-CEC) ON automatically even after one has manually turned it OFF if it recognizes HDMI-CEC equipped devices connected to HDMI #2 especially.

If somebody is using an LG TV and AVR that both support eARC, they can turn HDMI-CEC OFF in their AVR and every other device connected to it and still get audio signals to the receiver using eARC and the TV input source will have to be manually selected as the AVR source input will now not change automatically.

When using an AVR that supports ARC but NOT eARC with any eARC equipped TV, one must turn ON HDMI-CEC to send audio signals from the TV to the AVR. To keep other devices from turning the TV and/or AVR ON or OFF when using HDMI-CEC for ARC, one must make sure HDMI-CEC is turned OFF in all of their other devices.

Turning HDMI-CEC ON or OFF in various devices can be like a going on an Easter Egg hunt as different device manufacturers have different designations for it. Those with LG products will need to look for Simplink, those with Panasonic products will need to look for HDAVI, EZ-Sync or even VIERA Link. Those Samsung products will need to look for Anynet+ and Sony folk will need to look for BRAVIA Sync.

The Apple TV 4K works beautifully with my LG TV and Onkyo receiver using HDMI-CEC. Though, it and other devices like the Roku Ultra have quirky EDID characteristics that can really screw up some setups.

For those who do not want anything to do with HDMI-CEC, The Apple TV 4K can still adjust the volume level of an AVR using IR. The Apple TV 4K also has a Learning function that I really liked using with my Denon Universal Remote Controllers. I would assign a source input button on the remote controller to use with the Apple TV 4K and then assign corresponding buttons by holding them down and watching the learning progress bar on the TV. Once done, I didn’t need the Apple TV remote controller for anything more than typical use.

So, if one does not want HDMI-CEC functionality ON at all in the Apple TV 4K, go to Settings>Remotes and Devices>Control TVs and Receivers and set it to OFF. Then, if you want to adjust AVR volume with Apple Siri remote controller, go to Volume Control and set it to Receiver via IR.

Anthem provides a nice explanation and implementation of HDMI-CEC. But, not setup correctly in the Anthem as well as in every other device, all bets are off.
027CDB8E-D2BB-4062-BFE0-25CB66CEB0D1.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha, good luck trying to a remote such as Harmony's with Anthem's. It will work good, until you try to program it such that you don't have to do select channels when switch from one to the other. There may be a way to do it, but I am too lazy to search and try for more than 20 minutes. So I have been tolerating having to press the input button and scroll from one channel to the other. Anthem has their weird ways to do things, some good, but there are some bad ones too.:( I missed my Denon already but I don't want to spend a few thousands more to get the AV10.

@Cos warned me that before, but the clearance price on the 4K AVM processor in Canada was too good.
Not familiar with the oddities that Anthem has for using other remotes. You have to designate each time you choose an input on the Anthem the speaker channel layout you want to use? There are ways to custom program a Harmony remote for particular behavior, and last time I did any customization of a remote it was fairly quick and painless, just had to find the appropriate menu options (which IIRC wasn't particularly obvious when I started).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not familiar with the oddities that Anthem has for using other remotes. You have to designate each time you choose an input on the Anthem the speaker channel layout you want to use? There are ways to custom program a Harmony remote for particular behavior, and last time I did any customization of a remote it was fairly quick and painless, just had to find the appropriate menu options (which IIRC wasn't particularly obvious when I started).
One example:

With Denon, Marantz, Yamaha etc. and many others, you can setup different inputs such as CD, Network, Tuner, DVD etc., and then you can select the input source with the press of one button. That makes it easy to program the Harmony such as my 650. With Anthem, you have to press the input button and then scroll to the input souce you want to listen to. I can program the Harmony to respond select the "input", but I had not been successful, and I have tried everything I know about the Harmony to try and make it go to the correct input source, and the best I could achieve was to get it to the "next" input such as from input 6 to 7, but not to inputs 1,2,3,4, 8, 9 etc.

As I said, there's probably a way but I just don't change input source too often and am getting too lazy to work on this minor nuissance. If I hadn't been spoiled by D+M's easy way, I would have been completely happy with the way I have to do with the Anthem.

That's just one example.

On the room correction side, don't even get me started, it needs a dedicated thread. You won't see much complaints, or even slightly negative posts about it on that >800 pages users thread on AVSF, but I have never seen users threads so dedicated to one brand. If someone posts anything negative, be prepared for the incoming that follows lol..

I would have started a user thread here on ARCG (ARC for Anthem Room correction) Genesis so users can share their experience, share tricks and tips and common issues/solutions, but I am not sure if Anthem users on Audioholics are open to a not just reporting the positives but also the negatives (could be just perceived).

1678280044094.png

04Auto25

Audiophyte
@HippyDory did you ever resolve this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing with a last gen AppleTV 4k.
Happy to report switching the hdmi out on the Avm70 8k from out 1 (eARC) to out 2 seems to have fixed the 720p startup resolution issue I was having with appletv when EDID A was being used on the NZ8 previously.

Btw: EDID A on the projector allows both 4k 120 and 8k 60 signals. EDID B is 4k 60 only and EDID C is 1080p and lower.

I fixed the issue last week by enabling EDID B on the NZ8 but was disappointed I was losing some features (hdr10+, 4k 120 etc). That said, using hdmi out 2 instead of the hdmi out 1 (eARC) on the Avm70 allows me to retain use of EDID A on the projector and still get 4k at startup.

There's something with hdmi out 1 and eARC that messes the signal up and since my projector has no use for eARC hdmi out 2 works perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just got my 8K upgrade completed! will have back by Tuesday

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was at conference for work, I just hooked it back up about 20 minutes ago. Powered on and tested to make sure there was sound. It worked so far ;), but will update soon.

Additional Notes: I sent it directly to Paradigm, because my dealer was backloged. I paid to have it double boxed, they shipped it back in a new AVM70 box and it was packed extremely well. I took pictures of the unit before I sent it and inspected it an OCD number of times to ensure there were not marks or flaws. You can not even tell it was opened up, there were not even any scrapes on the screws of the top cover. Essentially new. I was able to re upload my ARC settings, but I will probably run it again over the weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis