Another Silly Question

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Any thoughts on a good 7.1 speaker system in the $500-$750 range. Not looking for anything extreme, just some nice sound to resolve my TV speaker issue. Athena speakers still a good choice? That was what audioholics $1000 system review indicated. I have a Denon 2105 that I will use as my AV Receiver with the intention of getting a Denon 2807 for my other system.

Rusty Shacklefo

Audiophyte
I went the Athena audition series when I setup my 7.1 system. Purchased almost every speaker from 2 different sellers on ebay except for my sub which I bought at onecall.com. For all 8 speakers I paid only 598.32 including shipping. A couple of the rears were listed as used/refurbished, but they all look and sound perfect. Here's links to a couple of different auctions to check out:

Athena AS-B1

Athena AS-F1

Athena AS-C1

Athena AS-R1 (different seller)

Athena ASP4000 @ Onecall

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
You may want to look at audioadvisor.com for Athena speakers if you want the warranty to come with them. Athena only provides a warranty from authorized dealers (not ebay).
The prices there are great and you can easily get

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Onyx and Athena are great budget speakers. Also check out the Venturi line by BIC. Consider a DV64 set of towers, a DV62CLRS center, DV62si surrounds, and a nice sub.

I'd go a little extra on the sub (possibly wait it out until you save some cash), and get something entry level from HSU or SVS.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
There are no silly questions, just unasked ones thinking it might be silly:D

How else will you get answers?:D

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the responses, I'll take a closer look at the onyx, athena, and venturi speakers. Honey said I wasn't suppose to buy any more speakers, but oh well, it is a necessity. Not sure if I'm willing to go much beyond my budget as this is my second audio system for my crappy 32" nonHD TV. My other system is the klipsch reference series and I love those, but I want a more powerful receiver, thus upgrading the Denon.

Also, I'm planning on having carpet laid in this room. Any thoughts on running the flat speaker wire in the room under the pad and carpet? It would be too hard to run them through the walls and ceiling, so I was wondering if I could do it.

majorloser

majorloser

Clint DeBoer said:
A girl!!!! A girl!!!! In our forums! Somebody (I'm already taken) marry this woman!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Wait till loserwife reads this!

(BTW- did you ban her yet ;) )

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
She's a keeper!:D

The Athena AS-B1.2's and Athena 10" or 12" sub are priced very nice at audioadvisor.com. For a inexpensive second system they would work great. The av123 X-series would be more expensive but better from what I've read.(Have not heard the X-series). I would also go 5.1 and get better speakers like JCPanny mentioned earlier.

Go out and try to audition what you can in person. It part of the fun of this "thing of ours".

Have fun,
SBF1

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Looking for places around here that sell them. What about the speaker wire under the carpet? Will that work?

I'm a girl, but I think I'm marrying a wife versus a husband. I want more speakers, he doesn't. Go figure. He can't say much once they are in the house though, so he'll just have to deal. He did give in letting me setup my fish tank in the LR once its painted and carpeted, so I'm making progress with training him. :D

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
techigirl78 said:
Looking for places around here that sell them. What about the speaker wire under the carpet? Will that work?

I'm a girl, but I think I'm marrying a wife versus a husband. I want more speakers, he doesn't. Go figure. He can't say much once they are in the house though, so he'll just have to deal. He did give in letting me setup my fish tank in the LR once its painted and carpeted, so I'm making progress with training him. :D
.....good for you, Lady, I love my fish tank as one wall sorta' of my theater....be honest, did your hubby want a cube system?.....

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
mulester7 said:
.....good for you, Lady, I love my fish tank as one wall sorta' of my theater....be honest, did your hubby want a cube system?.....
No, he said one system in the house is enough. But, I like watching standard TV on my 32"CRT, so it is a necessity to have decent/good audio in two rooms. :)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
techigirl78 said:
No, he said one system in the house is enough. But, I like watching standard TV on my 32"CRT, so it is a necessity to have decent/good audio in two rooms. :)
.....TechiGirl, I say hooray for cable-TV audio sent through a theater sound system....that's probably about 60% of the application of my sound system....there's a good chance you'll need to back off the treble with TV audio, but that depends on your speakers and the components pushing the speakers....let what your ears tell you guide you....I don't know, but it sounded like Clint was kinda' flirtin' there.....

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
techigirl78 said:
:D
I used 14 gauge Radio Shack flat speaker wire under the WW carpet. It's noticeable. If I were to do it again I would try to find even flat-er wire.

Nick

BTW, if you are training your husband, who is training you?

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Nick250 said:
I used 14 gauge Radio Shack flat speaker wire under the WW carpet. It's noticeable. If I were to do it again I would try to find even flat-er wire.

Nick

BTW, if you are training your husband, who is training you?
Maybe route out a small section of the floor and bury it? Thinking it should work and I wouldn't be messing up the subfloor as there is a layer of 1/4" luan (sp?).

Umm, I think he trains me too, just in different ways.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hidden speaker wire.

Well, I drilled a small hole through the floor behind entertainment center and ran the wires to other side of room via the basement up to the rear speakers.:)

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
techigirl78 said:
Maybe route out a small section of the floor and bury it? Thinking it should work and I wouldn't be messing up the subfloor as there is a layer of 1/4" luan (sp?).
That should work.

techigirl78 said:
Umm, I think he trains me too, just in different ways.
Ahhhh, balance. This is good.

Nick

majorloser

majorloser

There is also the option of running the wires behind the baseboard and door moulding. It makes for a longer run but it gives you the option of also running the wire up through the drywall to the final location of the speakers or instaling wall plates.

The old moulding is carefuly removed, a small groove is cut in the drywall, cables are run and the moulding is re-installed. Only minor touchup paint required. If you want to run the cable up, a hole is made behind the baseboard and the cable is fished up to the new location.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Question: how do you guarantee that you get at least 20 responses to any question you ask on AH?

Answer: put "girl" in your username

:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis