Another question from this newbie , Please Help !!

P

proyc

Audiophyte
Hi,

Just got Yamaha RX V659
Subwoofer BIC H100
Got Athena 4 ws-100, and Athena ws-60 speakers on a clearance at BestBuy (Did not read good reviews in this forum).

I was reading the Manual, was wondering what should I set the Athena ws-100 speakers, LRG or Small ?

THannks,
-Partha.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker settings

Though they are tall, the Athena WS 100's are not full range speakers, they only play down to 50 Hz. Set them to SMALL on the receiver. Try the 80 Hz and 60 Hz crossover settings of the receiver.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
I would guess...

proyc said:
Hi,

Just got Yamaha RX V659
Subwoofer BIC H100
Got Athena 4 ws-100, and Athena ws-60 speakers on a clearance at BestBuy (Did not read good reviews in this forum).

I was reading the Manual, was wondering what should I set the Athena ws-100 speakers, LRG or Small ?

THannks,
-Partha.
...since you have a sub, the general rule of thumb would be set them to small...although try it both ways...use whatever sounds best to you...

jimHJJ(...refer to pgs. 86-88 in your manual...)

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I have the 659 also and the ypao sets the fronts to large all the time.
I manually set them to small but keep the equalizer settings.
Make sure the sub is set correctly as well. I have found it off when using the ypao,

P

proyc

Audiophyte
Thanks. I am loving the Yammy, it sounds much more pleasant than my Sony, I had before.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Kai said:
Make sure the sub is set correctly as well. I have found it off when using the ypao,
I wouldn't change those sub distance setting. The YPAO is measuring the actual time it takes the audio signal to pass through the processing chain and end up at the setup mic to set the proper Time Alignment. It doesn't care where the speakers physically are it only cares about the time it takes the the audio signal to reach the mic so that signals sent to all speakers at the same time reach the mic at the same time and this is more accurate the the normal measured distance.

cheers:)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sub distance measurement

I would disagree about the sub distance setting. The time it takes the electrical signal to get to the sub is negligable when compared to the speed of sound and the distance between the sub and the listener. The reason the sub distance is inaccurate on many receivers is that the provided microphones are not accurate in the low frequency range. This is the same reason that bookshelf speakers are often configured as LARGE by the auto setup. Combine this with the effects of sub placement and room interaction and you get inaccurate distances.

I would recommend starting with an accurate sub distance setting. If you want to adjust the sub phase ( and your sub doesn't have a knob for this purpose) you can make adjustments by changing the sub distance on the receiver.

S

sivadselim

Audioholic
jcPanny said:
I would disagree about the sub distance setting. The time it takes the electrical signal to get to the sub is negligable when compared to the speed of sound and the distance between the sub and the listener. The reason the sub distance is inaccurate on many receivers is that the provided microphones are not accurate in the low frequency range. This is the same reason that bookshelf speakers are often configured as LARGE by the auto setup. Combine this with the effects of sub placement and room interaction and you get inaccurate distances.

I would recommend starting with an accurate sub distance setting. If you want to adjust the sub phase ( and your sub doesn't have a knob for this purpose) you can make adjustments by changing the sub distance on the receiver.
You're wrong.

You should read THIS thread on another forum regarding this exact subject.

E

Edde

Audiophyte
I need some help please with YAMAHA 659

HI everybody ! I have the YAMAHA 659 and i have a lots of questions.
Well.... I use it only in 2ch STEREO with TWO ALESIS MONITOR ONE in front output A, so.... i have been tryied to equalize the sound by MANUAL SETUP and I can HEAR NO diference when I changing the gain in the frequencies.
Why i cannot hear diference when i adjusting?
I only can feel diference when i adjusting in TONE CONTROL.

So, i really apreciate help. Thanks!

Edde

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis