Another nail in Comcast's coffin.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
We've recently reached an accord with Comcast: a livable price on the TV/phone/internet bundle and have about months before we reopen negotiations, but FIOS just moved into town. We'll see then.

But, comcast always offered first run movies "On Demand" for prices comparable to the Blockbuster on the next block. These were always available for 48 hours, the same as Blockbuster but without any effort. They always touted this on their "On Demand" blurb and after a while you don't take notice of it.

On Saturday afternoon we "rented" "Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief". Fun movie and we enjoyed it. (We're not hard to please :D) Knowing we had almost 46 hours left on the rental, we didn't think a thing of it and planned to watch it again before the time ran out.

Last night after coming back from a BBQ we sat down to enjoy it again. We saw that it was no longer in our "On Demand" queue. Hmmm.... I figured we had until Monday afternoon to watch it.

So, I called them this morning and was told they now rent movies form three or six hours. I asked when this happened and she said she didn't know, but it was fairly recently.

Now I gotta trudge to the next block to Blockbuster or two blocks to a Redbox. Anyhow, thanks Comcast. I could use the exercise anyway.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyhow, thanks Comcast. I could use the exercise anyway.
I use to walk a couple of miles to our BB. They have this 'Rewards' program for about $10 or $15 that gets you some 2 for 1 deals M-F. Cool, huh? I bought it but then they closed the store. :D How low can you go, BB? J_Garcia is right about BB, they suck. I hate Redbox too ... and pretty much any other service that takes money from me because I'm cheap but nobody 1/2 as much as the cable company.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
We've recently reached an accord with Comcast: a livable price on the TV/phone/internet bundle and have about months before we reopen negotiations, but FIOS just moved into town. We'll see then.

But, comcast always offered first run movies "On Demand" for prices comparable to the Blockbuster on the next block. These were always available for 48 hours, the same as Blockbuster but without any effort. They always touted this on their "On Demand" blurb and after a while you don't take notice of it.

On Saturday afternoon we "rented" "Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief". Fun movie and we enjoyed it. (We're not hard to please :D) Knowing we had almost 46 hours left on the rental, we didn't think a thing of it and planned to watch it again before the time ran out.

Last night after coming back from a BBQ we sat down to enjoy it again. We saw that it was no longer in our "On Demand" queue. Hmmm.... I figured we had until Monday afternoon to watch it.

So, I called them this morning and was told they now rent movies form three or six hours. I asked when this happened and she said she didn't know, but it was fairly recently.

Now I gotta trudge to the next block to Blockbuster or two blocks to a Redbox. Anyhow, thanks Comcast. I could use the exercise anyway.
We changed to Fios last year. Brenda takes online courses and the Comcast internet would drop out during thunder storms...so we had to change. Fios was supposed to be better quality and the bundle was less expensive for more channels. The internet with Fios is awesome It has never gone out. The worst thing about the change was remembering the different channel numbers! It took quite awhile. The quality has been very good and we have no complaints.

$4.99 for SD movies and $5.99 for HD and the last time I looked you had the movie available for replay for 24 hours. (I'll have to double check)

Last edited:
C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
If you can swing it get Directv. It's incredibly great. Easy menus with good info about the programming. I'm a golf fan. When the major tournaments are being played Directv has 4 channels showing the action. 3 have no commercials! Same with tennis. To bad tennis bores me. So many channels. I had Comcast. Trust me. Move on!

After getting Directv I walk around with a smile on my face all day, everyday. I look like a boy who just kissed a girl for the first time. In other words, I'm giddy. You need to be giddy to.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
When FIOS becomes an option jump on it. I have their ultimate package with 35/35mb internet access all the HD channels and Showtime. The first thing that I noticed was the huge improvement in the picture quality over Direct TV. FIOS sends an uncompressed HD signal. Second is that unlike satellite TV weather has no effect. The only two quibbles that I have are the small size of the hard drive in the DVR and lately they've been working on the system and there have been some 10-15 second dropouts a couple of times a week. For the popular show junkies they automatically record some of the most popular TV shows at their end for free-on-demand playback.

For DVD/BD I'm a netflix junkie.

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
I'm a Netflix convert. $8.99 per month gives me unlimited 720p instant downloads of movies/television through the Xbox, plus one dvd rental at a time - which is more just in case a movie is not available instantly. I don't think I'm ever going to go back to a video store, and I certainly never wasted my time with video on demand from the cable box.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use to walk a couple of miles to our BB. They have this 'Rewards' program for about $10 or $15 that gets you some 2 for 1 deals M-F. Cool, huh? I bought it but then they closed the store. :D How low can you go, BB? J_Garcia is right about BB, they suck. I hate Redbox too ... and pretty much any other service that takes money from me because I'm cheap but nobody 1/2 as much as the cable company.
I actually like Redbox so far. No complaints so far, except availability. There are a LOT of boxes in my area though, so it just means driving to a different box. The two that are in walking distance are also the busiest. I like the simple fact that there is no monthly fee and I can rent as many or as few as I like.

Netflix has been doing well for me as well. If redbox gets their streaming up and running though....

Comcast can kiss my *** though.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The wife and I just moved to a small town and the only options are a local cable company that everyone says sucks, or Dish or DirecTV. I ended up going with DirecTV. It's pretty good so far. We used to have U-Verse and I thought it was fine, but the wife hated it. The picture quality with DirecTV looks a little better. I'm really looking forward to watching all my Chargers games from home for the first time.

So far the only thing I don't like is that because I have whole-house DVR, it means I have to have a professional come out if I want On-Demand. Our internet wasn't hooked up when they came out to install the TV and the guy said, "You can just hook it up later." Well I didn't know DirecTV was going to charge me to hook up On Demand. Oh well, the only thing I wanted it for was to catch up on the current season of True Blood instead of waiting until the BD's come out.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
My only option is the small time cable company in our tiny one horse town. I tried Dish and DirecTV. They both shot me down. Something about the trees across the street being too tall. No signal. IO does most of our town, but not our street. Their cable runs right past our house, but our driveway comes out on the wrong road. They even have an office a few blocks from us, but they won't take us as a customer.:mad:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
My only option is the small time cable company in our tiny one horse town. I tried Dish and DirecTV. They both shot me down. Something about the trees across the street being too tall. No signal. IO does most of our town, but not our street. Their cable runs right past our house, but our driveway comes out on the wrong road. They even have an office a few blocks from us, but they won't take us as a customer.:mad:
What are your reasons for preferring sat over cable? NFL package or something?

To help soothe your pain, add a $50 antenna, and a $10 RG6 cord to your TV. Now you get FIOS quality without paying a dime. Plug in your coordinate here, and you will see your signal strength from many different stations. You'll get every NFL game, Final Four bball, Olympics, news, etc. So, if anything you're watching is on national network, just flip to OTA for better quality. That's what some of the pros here do.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The wife and I just moved to a small town and the only options are a local cable company that everyone says sucks, or Dish or DirecTV.
Small town compared to what? You haven't seen my new town :D Walmart is the biggest thing in town....:rolleyes:

V

vikebrian84

Audioholic Intern
Check to see if you have u-verse, by far the best cable/internet i have ever dealt with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis