H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I recently read the following in a letter to the editor of Home Theater Magazine April 2004 pg. 24 as stated by Mark Peterson concerning the internal wiring of speakers, when asked about the small diameter sizes used inside cabinets.

What's Inside Counts

..,&quot;Inside the speaker...the resistance is a known and controled factor. The speaker is its own electrical entity and is designed as a complete system. So less resistance might not necessarily be better (like if you were to swap it out for larger gauge wire - hopjohn). In other words, it is the way it is because it works that way and was designed that way.&quot;

I think that is a crock of crap, because in all of the speaker design things I've read, I've never seen anyone speak about the connecting wire playing a role in the design. Now maybe they tested the crossover afterward with different wire, but during the actual crossover design? I doubt that very much particularly with mass market designs, which probably have much more to do with saving money on something the average consumer will never see anyway.

Also, how can he claim that it is a controlled factor with so many variances in the signal fed to it based on different external wiring gauges/ lengths etc. and the wide array of connections we use?</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Using wire resistance to control ones design is ridiculous. &nbsp;The goal of any competent designer is to minimize losses due to cabling. &nbsp;In the case of speakers, 14-16AWG internal wiring is fine given the short lengths and minimal losses. &nbsp;However, there is no harm in using 10-12AWG wire and in fact many well designed speakers using heavier gauge wire like this. &nbsp;Twister pair is always a good idea when running multiple wire runs adjacent to each other.</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I've always wondered to what point and relevance does using a boutique exotic speaker cable of a few feet do when the last foot from the terminals to the drivers inside a speaker cabinet uses mere hardware variety cables?</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis