Another Dumba$$ Question

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Would you consider a Yamaha RX-396 Stereo receiver from 1999 "vintage"?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It doesn't look the part, having a more modern black look. It sure sounds good. 50 wpc.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Does anyone remember the Circuit City commercial? "50 watts per channel, baby cakes".

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Borderline vintage, sure.

Seems like a really good choice to use with your 'Scalas. Is that what you're using it with?
No, actually as giddy as I was with the Marantz that I acquired last Winter, I wanted to try the Yamaha with the speakers that @TLS Guy gave me about 10 days ago. So it's in the den. And I'll leave it hooked up. The Marantz is 50 years old. This Yamaha is no spring chicken, but it sounds better and has remote control. It also has 120 v switched plugs on the back, which I sort of need for my sub and bt rcvr. The Marantz has that too though.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Would you consider a Yamaha RX-396 Stereo receiver from 1999 "vintage"?
I think a lot depends on the design rather than age.

That Marantz is vintage and the design shows it. As I said in my PM yesterday, it is not a very well designed unit and by modern standards poor. The power amp section was frankly a mess. Distortion is 0.5% at power, and those old designs of solid sate amps actually increased as the volume went down! It is also discrete unit and could potentially be serviced, if you want to mess with that way over complicated design for no good purpose.

The Yamaha is constructed in a modern fashion, with many ICs including a logic chip. Components are surface mount. This unit would not be serviceable as I am sure the boards, and probably the ICs are NLA. The distortion of this unit is lower then the Marantz by a factor of more then 10. However the design of the Marantz looks as if it could have significant crossover distortion which many transistor designs of that vintage did. That means distortion rises as you turn down the volume!

Early solid state designs on the whole were not very good. This gave solid state gear a bad name at the outset, and gave rise to the "tubes are better" ideation which still is alive and well.

The first transistor amp that was any good and actually better than tubes was the Quad 303. This is not just my opinion, but widely recognized. Not only that it was very reliable. It took others are long time to catch up and produce solid state amps of that power class of comparable quality and many never did.

So vintage really should be applied to gear using older design techniques such as discrete transistors for instance. They should also be of superior quality like good aged wines. Junk old gear is junk and does not deserve the vintage acronym in my view.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis