J

jetson

Audiophyte
Probably been beat to death but! Have a pair of bp7004 and both amps of the subs quit. I have been reading but there seems to be different answers. Can I use them without the subs and just add stand alone one? If so, what would be the process? Just unplug power and LFE? Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Probably been beat to death but! Have a pair of bp7004 and both amps of the subs quit. I have been reading but there seems to be different answers. Can I use them without the subs and just add stand alone one? If so, what would be the process? Just unplug power and LFE? Thanks.
Those sub amps in DefTech speakers are junk. Saving the speakers is complex. We just went through this with Mythos STS super towers.

The problem is that I can't find any measurements of your speakers to find the crossover frequency and slopes.

You can not just do what you propose, as the crossover point to the subs is above sub range. So you have to get a sub that can be crossed at the right frequency to the mids, and set the receiver to LFE + Main. Then we have to know the crossover point to know how to set the receiver crossover. In addition you will need two subs, each one placed right by a speaker, because of the high crossover to those small mids.

In any event this is honestly a poor solution. So if you don't want to do an exchange on the amps with DefTech, which I think is $300 each amp. You get warranty if you measure the DC resistance of the woofer, if you don't you get no warranty.

With those, I think the better option is to junk the things, and look for better speakers.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, you can use them without their internal subs and just get a powered sub to handle the bottom. As TLS mentioned though, not knowing where the cutoff to the internal subs is makes it difficult to determine where exactly to cross over. If you run Audessey or similar calibration and look at where it is cutting them off (if this system is multichannel), that at least will give you an idea of their usable range.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just unplug the built-in amp. Use separate subs. Try different crossover points like 80, 100, 120, 150 Hz. See which XO point sounds the best. Simple as that.

Let us know how they sound and go from there.

J

jaydillyo

Audiophyte
Acquaint yourself with REW and take some measurements of the Deftech speakers to see what they are doing without the amps. Post the measurements here and you'll get some better advice.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Those sub amps in DefTech speakers are junk. Saving the speakers is complex. We just went through this with Mythos STS super towers.

The problem is that I can't find any measurements of your speakers to find the crossover frequency and slopes.

You can not just do what you propose, as the crossover point to the subs is above sub range. So you have to get a sub that can be crossed at the right frequency to the mids, and set the receiver to LFE + Main. Then we have to know the crossover point to know how to set the receiver crossover. In addition you will need two subs, each one placed right by a speaker, because of the high crossover to those small mids.

In any event this is honestly a poor solution. So if you don't want to do an exchange on the amps with DefTech, which I think is $300 each amp. You get warranty if you measure the DC resistance of the woofer, if you don't you get no warranty.

With those, I think the better option is to junk the things, and look for better speakers.
Who designed those things ? Golden ear also makes something similar …
Why would you make something so complicated aren’t stand alone subs better ?
Or just created to lessen footprint of audio ?
Glad I couldn’t afford them, when I saw them .

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Who designed those things ? Golden ear also makes something similar …
Why would you make something so complicated aren’t stand alone subs better ?
Or just created to lessen footprint of audio ?
Glad I couldn’t afford them, when I saw them .
Same people are involved. From Polk to DefTech, to Golden Ear, principals from Polk moved on to form those companies.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Same people are involved. From Polk to DefTech, to Golden Ear, principals from Polk moved on to form those companies.
Ohh I see had no idea about the Polk background , just noticed the other two look so similar. Golden ear was far to expensive for me to ever consider it , does it suffer from same dying amp problems as def tech?
passives just make more sense imo , then trying to make floor standers into subs . It’s still a impressive design , despite obvious flaws ..

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Sandy Gross helped launch Polk Speaker Brand. They could not call it Gross Speakers lol. He then left to launch DefTech, then left to go to GE. He was a very hands on guy, when I had questions about setting up GE Trion Atmos setup, he actually picked up the phone in customer service and helped to answer my questions.

His speakers are very polarizing on these forums by the way he details his measurements. That being said I was happy with my Triton Ones for a long time. Now he sold GE to Audio(Fraudio)Quest. When that happened, I sold my GE and went back to Paradigm.

My first pair of GE T1s , one of the speakers had a band amp, so I got a brand new speaker. He was also known to extend warranties for some people when they had bad amps. Great Customer Service.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis