Another avr thread. Rz50 or anthem mrx740 (4k), 3800

K

kalkent

Enthusiast
I have just sold my rz50 as I had a good deal on an anthem lined up, but bad timing, it fell through after I sold my rz50.

So now I'm looking for a new avr.

I really liked the sound of my rz50, it was a big improvement over my yamaha, I think mainly due to DIRAC.

I'm considering

Getting another rz50
Or integra drx 5.4 $2795 (essentially the same I guess)
Considering the denon 3800 $2100 (4 independent sub outs) and upgrading to Dirac + $550
Or I can get a 4k model anthem mrx740 for $3500

I'm leaning towards the anthem but I'm definitely stuck on justifying the almost double the price of some of the others.

Are the anthems really that much better?

Considering I thought the sound of the rz50 was great, is it crazy to spend that much on an anthem?

Thanks

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Considering I thought the sound of the rz50 was great, is it crazy to spend that much on an anthem?

Thanks
Maybe not crazy, but don't expect a night and day improvement.

Dirac should be called out for the ridiculous pricing of their software.
I've never even ran Dirac on my Pioneer, and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

K

kalkent

Enthusiast
Maybe not crazy, but don't expect a night and day improvement.

Dirac should be called out for the ridiculous pricing of their software.
I've never even ran Dirac on my Pioneer, and don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd simply choose on the desired feature set/amp section. I don't think Anthem has any particular advantage myself, especially due higher cost compared to similar feature set from the major brands.

K

kalkent

Enthusiast
I'd simply choose on the desired feature set/amp section. I don't think Anthem has any particular advantage myself, especially due higher cost compared to similar feature set from the major brands.
I dont game or have any very specific requirements

I want Dirac or Arc.

9.2ch at a minimum

Bluetooth

Atmos and DIRAC

I can't think if anything else I specifically want.

I like the idea of a THX certified receiver. I dont know why I prefer that, I don't really have a reason for it. It probably means nothing these days.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dont game or have any very specific requirements

I want Dirac or Arc.

9.2ch at a minimum

Bluetooth

Atmos and DIRAC

I can't think if anything else I specifically want.

I like the idea of a THX certified receiver. I dont know why I prefer that, I don't really have a reason for it. It probably means nothing these days.
Curious, why is bluetooth an issue/need? Never use it myself except maybe in the car....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like to connect my phone via Bluetooth and stream music and have the projector off.
I find it easier to stream via my wifi network rather than bt, plus wifi is basically better quality and range (altho bt has improved over the years in these regards). Some of the streaming services will help out with this, such as Spotify Connect (where bt isn't used).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like to connect my phone via Bluetooth and stream music and have the projector off.
I stream music from my home network or Phone everyday using WiFi. One of the salient features to me.

K

kalkent

Enthusiast
I find it easier to stream via my wifi network rather than bt, plus wifi is basically better quality and range (altho bt has improved over the years in these regards). Some of the streaming services will help out with this, such as Spotify Connect (where bt isn't used).
Seems like I need to learn a little more about how to do that..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like I need to learn a little more about how to do that..
What type of streaming do you do other than from your phone? When using your phone do you use a service like Spotify or just content in your phone's memory, what OS does your phone use?

K

kalkent

Enthusiast
What type of streaming do you do other than from your phone? When using your phone do you use a service like Spotify or just content in your phone's memory, what OS does your phone use?
I use my shield to stream. I don't use Spotify or anything like that, I do use YouTube music and content on my phones memory. It's an Android phone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use my shield to stream. I don't use Spotify or anything like that, I do use YouTube music and content on my phones memory. It's an Android phone.
So the shield is already using the wifi? I've used bubbleupnp and foobar2000 apps on my android devices and computer as well for my own content streamed from my phone/tablet/computer.

Haven't tried streaming youtube, so just used my YT Music app for the first time, and it has the cast feature right at the top of the screen (the rectangle with the three radiating curved lines in the lower left corner), which brings up available destinations in my local network...altho it isn't getting all of my devices (its skipping my Denon avr, altho the similar feature on my Spotify app finds the avr no problem). Wonder why that is...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I have a Yamaha AVR as well. And I use an Android device. The AVR is hard wired to the router and the phone is of course on the same network. Yamaha has a nice controller app called MusicCast.

Your phone is basically the controller. The music on the apps comes from the internet and the Music from the server are files stored on my PC. No Bluetooth involved at all.

Musiccast.jpg
Musiccast.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis