Annoying Problem with Denon optical in's HELP!

F

funk-o-meter

Audioholic Intern
The converters on my Denon sound better than using the ones on my universal player. So, I'm going into the Denon using a long optical cable (only one I could find for sale at the time that didn't have snake oil on it).

The problem is, when I skip to the next song on a CD, there is a little pause as soon as I hit the button where the digital light on the front of the Denon (AVR 1602) blinks off for about a second and then comes back on the song starts. It causes a pause in the music and I miss the first second of the song. THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING!

Anybody every had this happen? Any solution. Seems unacceptable. What gives? :mad:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Possibilities:

1. When a signal arrives at the digital input, the receiver tries to identify the type of signal to determine which decoder to use. When you play the first track, it has identified the signal as PCM and plays it accordingly. It sounds like the time it takes for your cd player to skip to the next track is long enough that the receiver senses there is no signal and reverts back to its default decoder for that input. When it starts playing again, it takes it a second to identify the signal again and realize it is still PCM.

2. You have both analog and digital connections to the cd input and the format is set to 'auto'. Again when there is a pause, it polls the inputs to see which has a signal - analog or digital. It checks the analog input to find no signal just as the data from the cd player arrives, then checks the digital input and sees a signal there and tries to identify its type as in #1.
You could temporarily try setting the input format to 'digital' or 'pcm' (whatever your receiver's setting is) to eliminate the polling of the inputs. If that works, then the receiver is just a bit too slow to identify the input and determine the signal type.

3. The cd player itself is slow to skip to the next track and start sending the data to the receiver, which naturally causes either 1 or 2 to occur. As an experiment, try a different cd player.

If it is 1 or 2 there really isn't much you can do about it, other than manually set the format to pcm for that input so it doesn't auto-detect anything.

F

funk-o-meter

Audioholic Intern
Its the "lock" light that blinks off and then comes back on. I tried disconnecting the RCA outs from the universal player, so that their was only one output (optical). The receiver is set to input:digital, and not auto. So it shouldn't have to "look" for the input source. I'm waiting on a replacement remote for my receiver because the original one is toast, so right now I can't get into the configurations settings such as digital source and selecting and what not. Damn Denon gets a stack-o-bucks for their remotes! I'll have to dive into it when it arrives. It seems assenine to have designed the receiver and not realized this is a problem. I think it must be something I can work around. I'll get back to it in a few days.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I had the 1603 (now retired to the shed until I setup the bedroom) and found a similar problem when you flick through chapters on a dvd, there was a lag/break in the signal and that light went out for a second then came back on and the sound cuts in again. I to found this slightly annoying, but couldnt do anything about it.

I've since upgraded to the 3805 and am happy to say I no longer have that problem.

IMHO, I think the 3805 stays in the perticular mode longer to allow for disruptions in the digital stream. Either way I dont think there's much you can do about it.

Cheers :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis