Annoying bass, and other annoyances

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
At the moment (at least untill i upgrade to a receiver), I am using the Aiwa NSX-D22, with it's SX-ND22 speakers (and the - unhooked, crappy - surround speakers) that came with it.

I have this set up (arrows represent path of connection) :
VCR --> AUX IN (on NSX-D22) --> COMPUTER TO VCR (Via "Y"-Cable) --> TV TO VCR ALSO.

Basically, I have everything routed to my system, through the VCR.

Today, I was watching TV and the right speaker cut out, I figured it was a wire problem so I checked. Yes, the wire did seem to be "fraying" (for lack of a better term), so I stripped it, which took a while because copper kept coming off in the process and making the wire width to small, but I got it in. Still didnt work. I checked all composite video and audio cables, all good. I thought, "oh well, I'll eventually get a new receiver in a while anyways, for now i'll just nuse headphones." I put some headphones in, worked great! Took them out, "wow, that speaker works now!". It cut out a few times more and i just kept plugging in a wire into the headphone jack to fix it. It seems to be working now, but why would the headphone jack cause that if the left speaker was still working?

Also, another reason I dont like these speakers is the bass, it isnt deep enough, sounds really bad.

Thanks,
Trav

I'm a little confused by your setup, but you seem to be doing the best with what you have.

These small integrated systems often cut a lot of corners in terms of signal path - so it could be that your headphone jack has a bad connection and is in line with something that is allowing the right speaker to cut out. Even a basic receiver and speakers will be a step up for you and you can look forward to routing everything through a receiver instead of your VCR.

A side note: If you have multiple sources running through your VCR via Y-cables and such you really need to be sure they aren't ever on at the same time or you risk damaging the preamp outputs of those components. It sounds like you may be doing this with your computer and TV.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
oh, my TV is old, so it only has a cable connection, not RCA, so that should be TV to VCR also, via cable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis