Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well I'm down to these 2 models. The more expensive one has slightly better resolution and a different processor, but they spec pretty close. There's $200 difference between them and I'm thinking I wouldn't miss it. Looks like it's geared maybe more toward artistic uses like drawing with the s pen...

I'm gonna order one of them today for sure. I just spent the last half hour batting with my tablet to get it to load a game. I talked to my friend and he said he never has issues like that with the same game.
EDIT: S7 FE you linked has 256GB while the S7+ is 128GB. Add another $85 for the 256GB version. Comparison chart shows that the S7+ has a slightly higher resolution display and also has a 512GB model and weighs a little less. Yeah, not sure the S7+ is worth $285+tax more.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a S6 Lite. Works great and I didn't feel the need for a larger screen. I don't stream or do any heavy duty stuff on it; that is what the computer is for lol. I use it to browse, news, amazon, and for music and youtube instructions while working on the car.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
S7 FE you linked has 256MB while the S7+ is 128MB. Add another $85 for the 256MB version. Comparison chart shows that the S7+ has a slightly higher resolution display and also has a 512MB model and weighs a little less. Yeah, not sure the S7+ is worth $285+tax more.
See now, this is the crap I miss. I saw 256 and was thinking that was gb for storage! I was more focused on the 8 gb ram.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
See now, this is the crap I miss. I saw 256 and was thinking that was gb for storage! I was more focused on the 8 gb ram.
I bought an A7 Lite a couple of weeks ago to do nothing more than control the AV system and nothing else and so far it does that just fine. It has 32gb of flash memory which is used both for memory and storage but is expandable to 1Tb. For $89 I figured why not.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Ah, sorry, those were GB values for storage, not MB. Both the storage and internal memory values are important. If it's for gaming you want more processor memory for running apps and I would definitely take 8GB over 6GB internal memory. I was always clearing out memory on my last cell phone because I also play games on it which can be resource hungry. Android also has the option to move some apps to external memory, like SD cards, to free up the built in memory, but whenever the game received an update it would move back to internal memory and I would have to move it to external memory again. Rather annoying. 256GB should be plenty for your uses though unless you shoot video on it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought an A7 Lite a couple of weeks ago to do nothing more than control the AV system and nothing else and so far it does that just fine. It has 32gb of flash memory which is used both for memory and storage but is expandable to 1Tb. For $89 I figured why not.
Why not Amazon's Fire HD 8 Tablet? It's very often on sale at $45 (+$15 to get rid of Ads) or for $70 you could get an already ads-free Kids edition which also includes a case w/stand and a better warranty.
It's pretty elementary to install the Google Play store on the Amazon tablet without any need for rooting or hacking it in any way. Nearly same screen size. Same resolution. Very similar CPU/GPU performance.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Why not Amazon's Fire HD 8 Tablet? It's very often on sale at $45 (+$15 to get rid of Ads) or for $70 you could get an already ads-free Kids edition which also includes a case w/stand and a better warranty.
It's pretty elementary to install the Google Play store on the Amazon tablet without any need for rooting or hacking it in any way. Nearly same screen size. Same resolution. Very similar CPU/GPU performance.
Already have two of them which were my deceased wife's so I don't touch them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ah, sorry, those were GB values for storage, not MB. Both the storage and internal memory values are important. If it's for gaming you want more processor memory for running apps and I would definitely take 8GB over 6GB internal memory. I was always clearing out memory on my last cell phone because I also play games on it which can be resource hungry. Android also has the option to move some apps to external memory, like SD cards, to free up the built in memory, but whenever the game received an update it would move back to internal memory and I would have to move it to external memory again. Rather annoying. 256GB should be plenty for your uses though unless you shoot video on it.
Yeah, I read it again and thought maybe you meant gb for storage. The 512 threw me off tho and I wasn't sure if you were referencing a processor or something.

I'm pretty sure the one I ordered from amazon is the 8 gb ram model. The models with 256 gb of storage come with either 6 gb or 8 gb processors. It doesn't specify which on the Amazon page but the price matches Best Buy for the 8 gb processor so I rolled the dice and ordered it. I get free returns with prime so if it's not the right one I'll send it back and go to Best Buy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Loving the new tablet! It's so much more responsive and compatible with all of my apps now. I didn't realize how much of a dog my old tablet was until I got to play with this newer one. My one major gripe is no port for wired earbuds, and that's fairly major to me but not a deal breaker. I s'pose I can buy some bt ones. I need noise canceling for sure tho.

Keyboard layout is slightly different and a little tighter but I'm adjusting pretty well.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Cool. I got my wife a new Samsung tablet in 2020. Originally got her a 10" Tab 7 but she found it too big so traded down to an 8" Tab 6 or Tab 7 lite (can't remember). She's been very happy with it. I have her old 8" Tab S which is getting on 8 years old. OK for email and web browsing. Not so great for games any more. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm super tickled with the new tab! More than I expected to be. Lots of customization for tool bars and a dark mode that I just love. My keyboard even has a dark mode! Clearly, I like dark mode, lol.

But yeah, I had no idea how much of a dog my old tablet was. Going back to it feels so slow and sloppy now. When I told my son I got a new one he said "well your old one was like 56 years old in tablet years!".

Screenshot_20220217-095225_Brave.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I like that more apps are starting to support dark mode. Roon added it a while ago and I've been using it for email and browser skins for a long time. Much easier on the eyes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm super tickled with the new tab! More than I expected to be. Lots of customization for tool bars and a dark mode that I just love. My keyboard even has a dark mode! Clearly, I like dark mode, lol.

But yeah, I had no idea how much of a dog my old tablet was. Going back to it feels so slow and sloppy now. When I told my son I got a new one he said "well your old one was like 56 years old in tablet years!".

View attachment 53907
Killer comment by your son :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Loving the new tablet! It's so much more responsive and compatible with all of my apps now. I didn't realize how much of a dog my old tablet was until I got to play with this newer one. My one major gripe is no port for wired earbuds, and that's fairly major to me but not a deal breaker. I s'pose I can buy some bt ones. I need noise canceling for sure tho.

Keyboard layout is slightly different and a little tighter but I'm adjusting pretty well.
I'm looking at a simple USB-C DAC for this reason. I'd prefer a headphone jack, but here we are.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Killer comment by your son :)

View attachment 53907
Your son is spot on. I'm not surprised you love it considering how old your other one was. You got used to the slow and once you upgraded, it's like going from a golf cart to a Porsche.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'm looking at a simple USB-C DAC for this reason. I'd prefer a headphone jack, but here we are.
That's why I went with a Pixel 5 last year. I'll be damned if I give up my headphone jack and two sets of ear buds!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's why I went with a Pixel 5 last year. I'll be damned if I give up my headphone jack and two sets of ear buds!
I have the 5a and other than the headphone jack missing, it's probably the best phone I've ever owned. The battery is the best part. I used it for almost 24hrs straight yesterday when flying all over the damn country, and it just kept on going.

My OnePlus 6 is a close second, but it's battery sucks and that's the only reason it's not #1.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I keep finding poop to customize. Like the tight keyboard. Turns out I can adjust that too! I was able to expand it to the same size as my old one. That was really my last major gripe. Well, except the headphone thing.

There's another setting to extend the overall life of the battery by limiting max charge to 85%. I'm plugged in most of the time anyway so I turned that on too. I won't even notice. As a bonus it still shows 100% when it's charged up to 85% capacity so it won't even trigger my ocd.

Back to the headphone thing... any suggestions for wireless earbuds? They need to be noise canceling or at least noise isolating but don't need to be audiophile grade or anything. Just for watching videos without disturbing others.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I keep finding poop to customize. Like the tight keyboard. Turns out I can adjust that too! I was able to expand it to the same size as my old one. That was really my last major gripe. Well, except the headphone thing.

There's another setting to extend the overall life of the battery by limiting max charge to 85%. I'm plugged in most of the time anyway so I turned that on too. I won't even notice. As a bonus it still shows 100% when it's charged up to 85% capacity so it won't even trigger my ocd.

Back to the headphone thing... any suggestions for wireless earbuds? They need to be noise canceling or at least noise isolating but don't need to be audiophile grade or anything. Just for watching videos without disturbing others.
Monoprice has several ANC earbud options. The wife is very happy with hers. I wanted something a little cheaper for myself to use at work, and I went with these Creative's. I have no complaints, they work well for music and audiobooks when it's slow at work.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis