BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Long story short, I haven't even so much as looked at any other tablets for a really long time. Sounds like android tablets in general are kind of falling to the wayside?
TL;DR: Yes.

Long version: I ascribe it to a single Google's internal politics decision - Apple decided long ago that a much larger tablet screen requires drastic differences in the user interface (UI) thus needing a whole new app type, specifically for iPad which was good - Apps for iPad works and very popular.
Google on the other hand said, Nah - we disagree and let us try to unify app UI between smaller smartphones and tablets. That approach wasn't nearly as successful, I guess to the complexities of designing apps with two UIs. Amazon's approach is a bit different - since they don't have Amazon Smartphones (except one failed attempt) the only apps they publish in their app store are tablet-optimized.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
TL;DR: Yes.

Long version: I ascribe it to a single Google's internal politics decision - Apple decided long ago that a much larger tablet screen requires drastic differences in the user interface (UI) thus needing a whole new app type, specifically for iPad which was good - Apps for iPad works and very popular.
Google on the other hand said, Nah - we disagree and let us try to unify app UI between smaller smartphones and tablets. That approach wasn't nearly as successful, I guess to the complexities of designing apps with two UIs. Amazon's approach is a bit different - since they don't have Amazon Smartphones (except one failed attempt) the only apps they publish in their app store are tablet-optimized.
Android 3.0 was the only version to have a separate tablet mode, and it only came on tablets.

It sucked.

Apple's decision to split iOS and iPad OS was a good one.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I retired my laptop and have been 100% using the exact same tablet for almost the last 10 years. Right now I have a newer version I bought a few years back when I broke the screen on the original, but it's functionally almost identical. Otherwise this is all I've been using for a really long time, but it's starting to show its age with newer apps and some games.

Long story short, I haven't even so much as looked at any other tablets for a really long time. Sounds like android tablets in general are kind of falling to the wayside?
I get a lot of life out of my devices like that too, since I don't do much with them. My laptop is around 8 years old, and has a touchscreen. It was an el-cheapo special and only has 2gb of RAM. It's slow, but I use it for REW since it still works just fine. It will never be asked to do the things my desktop PC can do, and it shouldn't.

If samsung tablets have done you right, keep going with them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well this is a pickle. An iPad is tempting but I don't have Apple anything so I'd be starting all over. Plus if I get a new one my wife's 2nd gen Pro won't be good enough for her anymore, lol.

I do try to buy best for the money in electronics and it sounds like Android devices don't really qualify. Still tho, I'm mostly happy with my tablet. I just need an update. It looks like the S7-FE 12.4 with 8g of ram will do that. I'll be more than doubling processing power. Hopefully it'd work as smooth and look as nice as what I have now. Plus how much is a new iPad now with a large screen like what I have now? 7 - 800 bucks? :oops:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well this is a pickle. An iPad is tempting but I don't have Apple anything so I'd be starting all over. Plus if I get a new one my wife's 2nd gen Pro won't be good enough for her anymore, lol.

I do try to buy best for the money in electronics and it sounds like Android devices don't really qualify. Still tho, I'm mostly happy with my tablet. I just need an update. It looks like the S7-FE 12.4 with 8g of ram will do that. I'll be more than doubling processing power. Hopefully it'd work as smooth and look as nice as what I have now. Plus how much is a new iPad now with a large screen like what I have now? 7 - 800 bucks? :oops:
As much as I cringe at $550 for a tablet, that's a solid device with specs that'll keep it running well for quite a while.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

The newer Samsungs will definitely be an upgrade over your older one. I think you would be quite happy with it, they have the highest resolution of the android tablets out right now, so you should be fine with the screen.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The newer Samsungs will definitely be an upgrade over your older one. I think you would be quite happy with it, they have the highest resolution of the android tablets out right now, so you should be fine with the screen.
That's the one downside I found is the resolution. It'll be great for videos and such, but it'll stress the GPU more. If he's not playing graphically intensive games, which I don't think he is, then it won't ever be an issue. Just something worth pointing out.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That's the one downside I found is the resolution. It'll be great for videos and such, but it'll stress the GPU more. If he's not playing graphically intensive games, which I don't think he is, then it won't ever be an issue. Just something worth pointing out.
It's the same resolution as his old one, with much newer chip technology, so it will be an improvement there.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wasn't much else for me to consider outside of the Galaxy line. I prefer Android over iOS. Got my wife the A7 as it's less expensive and her idea of gaming is solitaire. ;) For more demanding games I would also lean towards the S7 models. Even her little A7 was a big improvement over the Galaxy Tab S I got her years ago.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Costco has a 4GB/64Gb model for (member-only) $499.99+tax but with a detachable keyboard case.
The same combo at BB would cost you $550+tax

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I finally got a tablet this year, just wanted to use other than the phone (I particularly like the larger screen for playing Words With Friends :) ). I do have some music and apps on it and thats another main use. I have no other pad experience fwiw. A 12" pad sounds huge, I was surprised how big/heavy 10" was. I got this one
Exact same one I got! I happen to believe these things to be the very best value in both price and performance one can get. Love the fast charging, long life, and free (& frequent) Andriod OS updates.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exact same one I got! I happen to believe these things to be the very best value in both price and performance one can get. Love the fast charging, long life, and free (& frequent) Andriod OS updates.
Yeah it works for me. Looked around a while and this got a lot of votes for value compared to Samsung (but have used Samsung phones for a while so did look at Samsungs first).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah it works for me. Looked around a while and this got a lot of votes for value compared to Samsung (but have used Samsung phones for a while so did look at Samsungs first).
I'm gonna look at more Lenovo and see if they have any models with more RAM. The games I play are a little more resource hogs than Words With Friends (which btw, I used to play the crap out of too). Make my tablet run warm and slow. CoC has always been a little slow and buggy with the tablet I use now and it's running 3 gigs. I'd like to at least double that. 8 gigs would be best but I could prolly live with 6. That one you linked has 4g RAM.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think 4gb was the top one in that particular lineup but didn't need any more than that for my purposes....and your game may well be too much for it.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I've been using Samsung tablets for a number of years, currently using a reconditioned Galaxy Tab S2, cost about $200. It's 6-7 years old now but I only use it for web browsing, watching streaming video, reading ebooks, and yes, Clash of Clans. Runs Yatse very well too. It still works fine for all of those roles. It will not run newer resource intensive apps very well though.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I know I'm late to the game on this, but by all accounts you've ground your current model into the grave. It was released about 8 years ago! That's forever in the world of computers. It is not shocking at all that you are feeling the pinch of a antiquted operating system and a battery that dies very quickly. I can say that going to Apple won't fix this issue if you intend to keep it for such a long period. My iPad Air 2 is just a few months newer and I find that performance drags with the newest iOS and battery life is barely a few hours with any brightness.

That said, it is capable of running the newest iOS, which means all current software runs on it clean, plus the closed Apple ecosystem really does a great job with overall reliability.

I hate Apple. But, I have no more love for Android here either. I like my Windows world for doing computer stuff. It works great. I don't game on PCs (yet).
But, at the end of the day, my Apple phone and my iPad have been just spot on excellent hardware for years. I keep phones for at least 4 years, and apparently I'm pushing 8 years on my tablet. I tend to buy a nice device when I buy new, but I will keep it until it is well past it's prime. Which is what you've done with your tablet.

Go on, get the good Samsung or delve into the world of the iPad. I don't think either direction is a bad one to go in. If you have games which are available on both platforms, then potentially you can maintain all your settings if you are using a login like FB or an email address associated with the account. I know I have a game I play which uses FB and allows me to login across multiple devices.

Would be interested in hearing what you ended up with and how you like it. I know my brother went to a iPad, then back to a Samsung and he prefers the Samsung. Right until he tries to do something weird with it, then it drives him nuts.

I like carrying movies with me when I travel on my iPad, so I like the extra storage which the more expensive models offer, but I don't get that option of dropping a SD card into my iPad. That's always something I've been jealous of for some Android owners.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I'm down to these 2 models. The more expensive one has slightly better resolution and a different processor, but they spec pretty close. There's $200 difference between them and I'm thinking I wouldn't miss it. Looks like it's geared maybe more toward artistic uses like drawing with the s pen...

I'm gonna order one of them today for sure. I just spent the last half hour batting with my tablet to get it to load a game. I talked to my friend and he said he never has issues like that with the same game.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well I'm down to these 2 models. The more expensive one has slightly better resolution and a different processor, but they spec pretty close. There's $200 difference between them and I'm thinking I wouldn't miss it. Looks like it's geared maybe more toward artistic uses like drawing with the s pen...

I'm gonna order one of them today for sure. I just spent the last half hour batting with my tablet to get it to load a game. I talked to my friend and he said he never has issues like that with the same game.
Let us know how you like it I'm thinking of buying a new one myself

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Let us know how you like it I'm thinking of buying a new one myself
I did get the less expensive one, the Galaxy Tab S7 FE with 8 gb ram. The plus woulda been over $800 with tax! My buddy has the Plus but he uses paint and draws a lot with it. I won't be doing any of that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis