analog vs digital audio cables

T

txhorns

Audioholic Intern
Do I need to get a digital audio cable or can I just settle for the analog RCA type if I want to use it for both DVD and CD purposes? I don't have any digital CDs yet but I may get some in the future.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
If you want true Dolby Digital 5.1 or 6.1, or DTS 5.1 or 6.1 for DVDs, yes, you need either digital coaxial or digital optical cable. If you'll only be wanting stereo sound for DVDs and CDs, then the analog RCA cables are fine.

However, if you're talking about using the multichannel analog outputs on a DVD player, you can use that to get true Dolby Digital 5.1 or 6.1, or DTS 5.1 or 6.1, as well as stereo.

All CDs are digital, by the way.

cheers,
supervij

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Most any 75 ohm cable will work.

txhorns said:
Do I need to get a digital audio cable or can I just settle for the analog RCA type if I want to use it for both DVD and CD purposes? I don't have any digital CDs yet but I may get some in the future.
digital audio (coax) and all video signals specifty 75 ohm cables as the optimum.

Analog audio is less critical. They are speced for anywhere between 50 and 110 ohms or more.

Now, the GOOD new as is that virtually any coaxial cable with RCA plugs on the ends made in the past few years is most likely 75 ohm anyway. So, if the cable is 75 ohms and it's of a decent (shield and construction) quality, it should work for either. I'd say you're good to go. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
txhorns said:

Since you are contemplating using DVDs and CDs, these are digital formats.
The player will pass both a digital signal and or an analog signal to a receiver for processing of any kind.

If you want to pass digital signals from these players, you should use a 75 ohm, as mentioned by mark. These cables come with various names: digital, video, component video, composite video, etc. They are all the same cable but the makers get away with charging more for a fancy name.
With a digital audio you can get multi channel DD, DTS or just 2 ch.

If you only want 2 ch analog, your cable choices increase. You can use the above mentioned cables, plus what is called audio interconnects. These usually have a red and white RCA type plugs and usually costs less. You would use any of these as well for multi channel audio from DVD-A and SACD as they only pass analog out for now.

Now the fun begins and don't mean to confuse. Experiments have shown that in home audio applications, short cable distances, digital audio can be passed flawlessly by coat hangers:D so if you wish, you can even try those analog interconnects with the red and white plugs.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
mtrycrafts said:
You can even try those analog interconnects with the red and white plugs.
Yep, and as markw has pointed out there is a very high probability that any such cables you buy are going to be 75 Ohm cables - just like all the others. It's cheaper for the manufacturer to just make all the same cables and simply change the color coding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis