An Odd (and not quite honest) Way of Selling Gear

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Howdy AH peeps! So, last year I went through a bit of financial hardship (job situations and lack thereof) and had to sell off some of my gear to make ends meet (believe me, this was a last ditch option). So, I sold my Yamaha A-S801 and KEF R500s (both since replaced, thank you very much). The chap that bought them had a sob story ("I'm a teacher, this is all I can afford" "Then why are you buying?") and we settled on an "okay" price, which I would not have accepted if I really did not need the cash right then and there.

Anyway, last month I saw an ad on Craigslist for a pair of KEF R500s. Curious, I checked it out and it seemed to be the same guy. I messaged him something like "Why are you selling my speakers?" but did not get a response back. Not that it was any of my business, but I hated seeing them go and kind of resented that he would sell them so soon. What struck me was the wording of his ad - it was very over the top.

This week, I saw an ad for a Yamaha A-S801.
1588947287312.png

Yup - same guy. This did not bother me as much because, I guess, speakers are a little more personal. The funny thing is his ad and how he is hyping up the "PROFESSIONAL GRADE" (?) of the amp and "If you have a listening environment that demands the VERY BEST, you need to give a serious look to this amplifier." LOL! What's not funny is what I am assuming is a lie: he states that he sent it in to Yamaha for a "proper cleaning and once-over" and as a result, Yamaha pasted "Refurbished" stickers to the unit:
1588947506526.png

Um, it does not work that way and besides, I bought it as a refurb from A4L and they already had the stickers. What is he trying to accomplish (besides the flowery prose)? Does he think he can get a better price by claiming it was not a refurb until he sent the (one year old - max) unit in for a cleaning. Meh, I don't get it... :(

Link to ad for a laugh: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/d/dallas-amazing-yamaha-s801-av-receiver/7110661252.html

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
For a teacher(doubt it) he has a darn nice pad. How did you guys meet at your home or a Dunkin Doughnuts? :D

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hey - I did not recognize your avatar without Fiona! Yeah, he came directly to my place after endless texts... :rolleyes:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey - I did not recognize your avatar without Fiona! Yeah, he came directly to my place after endless texts... :rolleyes:
Yep I needed a change of avatar. :) I don’t think I ever met anyone at my home except once when I sold my Infinity speakers in NY. Times are tough I guess he said to himself I need to pay bills. I hate fluff ads I ignore them.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
That's always a good policy. Fortunately, the buyers going after higher end equipment seem to (usually) be a tad more respectable (aside from the numerous scam and phishing texts I get with each ad). If I were selling a phone or PS4, I would be a lot more cautious...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
To it’s a bit scary going to someone’s home, but I’ve done it here in Fl. I bought two separate TVs and two pair of speakers that way, but felt relaxed once we talked gear. When I bought my Jamo sub we met by a movie theater.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
That's one of the downsides of selling audio equipment on Craig's List. There seems to be quite a few guys with sob stories, who then quickly turn around and sell your gear for a profit.

I went thru a speaker/amp phase churn for about 3 years and the same 4 or 5 guys would offer/bid ridiculous prices with a sad sack story, meanwhile they're asking sky-high prices for stuff they were selling.

Let's see, you're broke but you're selling high-end Focal speakers and boutique amps and other expensive gear, after telling me you've been out of work for 2 years. Yeah, right pal.

I smell bull$it. :D

Bums!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
That's one of the downsides of selling audio equipment on Craig's List. There seems to be quite a few guys with sob stories, who then quickly turn around and sell your gear for a profit.

I went thru a speaker/amp phase churn for about 3 years and the same 4 or 5 guys would offer/bid ridiculous prices with a sad sack story, meanwhile they're asking sky-high prices for stuff they were selling.

Let's see, you're broke but you're selling high-end Focal speakers and boutique amps and other expensive gear, after telling me you've been out of work for 2 years. Yeah, right pal.

I smell bull$it. :D

Bums!
Yup. Honestly, Craigslist was not my first choice. I had ads on Ebay and US Audiomart as well but was not getting any hits except numerous ones asking if I could ship my speakers after I explicitly stated "NO SHIPPING" (I did not have the boxes because I bought them as a dealer demo and he "lost" them). "So, it says 'No shipping' - can you ship?" "What if you made boxes - can you ship them then?" :rolleyes: Craigslist was a final resort...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it any less honest than a lot of high end audio gear sales? :) I like his explanation of a refurb, tho :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it any less honest than a lot of high end audio gear sales? :)
Right? His wording would fit right into pretty much any "legit" ad. Well, his refurbished bs aside, lol.

I know you probably feel like you sold a loved one into sex trafficking, but you got what you wanted from him. Deep breaths... :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis