An Amp For My Existing System

Z

zetapulse

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I have a strong desire for great sound quality. I've always pumped music from my PC to a component/stereo hi-fi system that I've had for years. Unfortunately, said system finally bit the bullet.

Instead of getting another bulky system taking up my desk space, I decided I want to get a nice, neat amp that does just as well. When I started shopping for one though, I realized I have NO knowledge regarding amps, how to match amps to your speakers, etc. I've done a lot of research, & I'm good at research , really good, but haven't gotten past discovering that I need a 250-watt amp (correct me if I'm mistaken).

So I come to you pleading for aid & knowledge. The sooner I can ditch my monitor's built-in speakers, the better. I was initially looking for a desktop amp under $100, but if I have to, I'm willing to spend up to... $200 I suppose.

Below is what my setup looks like.

It's a stereo system, i.e., 2 channels. All speakers are hooked up into the same ports (divided between left & right). Their cables are speaker-wire.

The 2 bedside speakers are tiny, no idea what specs they have. My component system also doesn't list any specs, all I have is that it was an Akai AC-M1000.

I'll be grateful for any assistance I can get. Thank you.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
So you have all of these speakers plugged into a 2 channel amplifier? May be why it burnt :eek: lol...

You shouldn't plug a bunch of speakers into one channel, not in the manner it sounds you did it, you wired them in parallel an probably should have been doing series/parallel with 3 on each output the first two in series and the last one in parallel with the first 2. But without knowing the third speakers value who know what hookup would be best... Its not good practice to do what you did... The point is you need to do some research and find all your speakers values and your amplifiers power @ its stable ohm rating....

A better and easier option is to run RCA's to each set of speakers from your source using splitters and buying 3 amplifiers... something like 3 of these will do well Amazon.com: 2013 New Version!! Upgraded LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with US Power Supply Black, US Shipping!!!: Electronics that will give you 3 volume controls and be reliable... a few of these and some long rcas to replace the speaker wire you ran to each speaker Amazon.com : Pyramid RY6 1 Male to 2 Female RCA Adaptor : Car Amplifier Interconnect Cables : Electronics....

good luck and welcome to the forum..

Z

zetapulse

Audiophyte
Thank you for your quick response ImcLoud.

So you have all of these speakers plugged into a 2 channel amplifier? May be why it burnt :eek: lol...
I figured this might have been the cause after reading up on amps a bit, what can I say, at least it ran for a long time eh.

The point is you need to do some research and find all your speakers values and your amplifiers power @ its stable ohm rating....
Alright, in that case I'll probably ditch the bedside speakers, maybe even 1 pair of the big speakers. My old JVC's produce great sound on their own anyway. That's 1 pair of 60W 6 ohm speakers now, in my 3x4m room/office.

A better and easier option is to run RCA's to each set of speakers from your source using splitters and buying 3 amplifiers... something like 3 of these will do well Amazon.com: 2013 New Version!! Upgraded LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with US Power Supply Black, US Shipping!!!: Electronics that will give you 3 volume controls and be reliable...
Thanks for the recommendation. Since I'm going with 1 pair of speakers for now, I suppose 1 amp will do. I have the following questions regarding this amp:
  • This amp is 20Wx2. Since my speakers are 60W each, this simply means I'll not be using my speakers to their full potential, correct?
  • Since it's your recommendation, I don't intend to shoot it down just because it looks/is cheap. The most important thing for me is, will it produce the same clear beautiful sound I'm used to hearing?
  • Since my setup is going to change now, would you be so kind as to recommend another amp? That is unless you're going to tell me that the above amp is still good enough.

a few of these and some long rcas to replace the speaker wire you ran to each speaker Amazon.com : Pyramid RY6 1 Male to 2 Female RCA Adaptor : Car Amplifier Interconnect Cables : Electronics....
My speakers have no speaker wire ports, it comes right out of the back from the inside. I have a stereo jack to RCA cable from my PC to my amp though. I'll be honest, I'm a little confused with this quote.

good luck and welcome to the forum..
Cheers, I'm looking forward to expanding my knowledge and pursuing the truth in audio & video.

J

Jim Hawkins

Enthusiast
I've burned out amps doing less than what you did. Glad it lasted as long as it did. Wattage matters but so does impedance. Without knowing the sensitivity of your speakers and their minimum ohm ratings we are a little blind on this but if you don't mind refurb I have had good experience shopping here. Stereo Receivers | Accessories4less
You can find some decent stuff in the price range you are looking at.

Z

zetapulse

Audiophyte
Thanks Jim,

I don't know if this is the info you were after, but if I go for only 2 speakers, they are 60W & 6 ohms each.

Unfortunately Accessories4less don't ship to Australia, otherwise I'd be more than happy to grab a second-hand or refurbished amp.

J

Jim Hawkins

Enthusiast
Arghhh. Sorry about that. Hard to get some of the electronics if you are in any other country then America. Well I would look into those brands on Craigslist or whatever your local online equivalent is. What is the make and model of the speakers that you are going to use? You should be fine with most of the stereos that you get but this will help.

Z

zetapulse

Audiophyte
No worries mate, the speakers are 60W/6ohm each (I have 4, no need for all), I can give you detailed specs once I get home.

In the meantime, I've done some shopping & have come up with some results. I'm sorry if I'm depending on you guys too much, but if you can take a look at them (I've also found their specs) & see if any stand out as suitable, or any are not suitable? (Gumtree is like the Australian Craiglist, without any shady dealings in the basement)

J

Jim Hawkins

Enthusiast
No worries mate, the speakers are 60W/6ohm each (I have 4, no need for all), I can give you detailed specs once I get home.

In the meantime, I've done some shopping & have come up with some results. I'm sorry if I'm depending on you guys too much, but if you can take a look at them (I've also found their specs) & see if any stand out as suitable, or any are not suitable? (Gumtree is like the Australian Craiglist, without any shady dealings in the basement)

The Yamaha looks good. I'm not sure what pricing and availability is like in Australia. On craigslist I would pay about $50-100 for something like that. You are doing an analog connection from your computer to your stereo right? If so I think that looks good. The JVC stuff is for car amps and you would probably need to do some sodering to get them to work since I think they run off of DC power.

J

Jim Hawkins

Enthusiast
I forgot to mention, unless you are willing to go up the scale a bit cost wise, you will always run the risk of burning out a new amp when running more speakers than channels on the receiver. Included in this idea is that you have two speaker sets at 6 ohms. Now if you have both going but the volume is low this shouldn't be a problem. If you want to listen to music at moderate to loud volumes you are better off with one speaker set selected.

Z

zetapulse

Audiophyte
Jim my good man, thank you for pointing out that the JVC's are car amps, I was not willing to set up a PSU or anything like that. The Yamaha was the most favorable option for me as well, except the pick-up location was quite far from me. That was when I stumbled upon an item with similar specs being sold much closer & much cheaper.

It came with speakers as well, but I'll be using them (along with what I've learned from these forums) to set up a sound system for our living room, just as an upgrade from the TV speakers.

Again, thank you both very much for your help. I'm feeling much better now that my music sounds like it used to. I wish us all the best in our pursuit for the truth in A&V.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Couldn't he just run a speaker selector box between the amp and his various speaker setups? Seems cheaper and more space-efficient than separate amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis