Amplifier Voltage Gain matching your Preamp and Amplifier

B

Bpadilla96

Audiophyte
As TLS mentioned, the xlr inputs are probably a different sensitivity. You should use the RCA. Also did you re-run Audyessey? Also you should switch back to the 8ohm setting.
Thanks i am on a trip now when I get home I will switch the cable and re run odyssey. The speakers are set for 4 ohms that is the reason I got the amp. What do you mean on switching back to 8 ohm setting.? I don’t think I have that option on the denon 4200. Thanks for the reply. I will keep you guys updated.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The speakers are set for 4 ohms that is the reason I got the amp. What do you mean on switching back to 8 ohm
What did you mean by "the speakers are set for 4 ohms..."? From what I could see on their website the M100 is rated 4 Ohms, no mentioning of any "setting" to change that.

If you meant the AVR was set for 4 Ohm speakers, @everettT suggested you change it back to the default setting of 8 Ohms, if I understood his post#79 correctly.

You should just use RCA to RCA and you will be fine if the amp in fact has a gain of 29 dB.

B

Bpadilla96

Audiophyte
Ok guys! Thanks so much for your input. I was able to connect RCA to RCA. And had an instant 6db gain! The other cables RCA to XLR was the cause of my problems. I noticed it instantly on my initial set up. READ INSTRUCTIONS FIRST! Clearly stated not to use that kind of cables in AMP! I guess is a guy thing . Install then read. THANKS

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok guys! Thanks so much for your input. I was able to connect RCA to RCA. And had an instant 6db gain! The other cables RCA to XLR was the cause of my problems. I noticed it instantly on my initial set up. READ INSTRUCTIONS FIRST! Clearly stated not to use that kind of cables in AMP! I guess is a guy thing . Install then read. THANKS
Good to know RCA to RCA solve your problem. However, it may be worth mentioning there is nothing wrong with the RCA to XLR cables if you buy the ones that have the correct connections but for many power amps that offer both RCA and XLR inputs, they lower the amp's gain by 6 dB when the XLR inputs are used.

So yes, one has to read the manuals carefully before choosing which inputs to use. But then if your preamp has XLR outputs, then it is simple, just use XLR to XLR, obviously and you won't loose 6 dB overall in that case because the preamp's XLR output will give you 6 dB higher voltage to begin with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis