J

jsf0656

Audioholic
thinking about purchasing a Yamaha AS501 amplifier for my music listening. I own Yamaha RX V475 avr. I have always had a avr but now that I am retired I only listen to music. would I get better sound from a amp vs a avr for music listening?. I don't know much about amps and would appreciate some help. amp is 80W/CH and avr is 100W/CH. thanks

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
thinking about purchasing a Yamaha AS501 amplifier for my music listening. I own Yamaha RX V475 avr. I have always had a avr but now that I am retired I only listen to music. would I get better sound from a amp vs a avr for music listening?. I don't know much about amps and would appreciate some help. amp is 80W/CH and avr is 100W/CH. thanks
Think the quality might be better further up the chain with the AS801 where the DAC chip is better. The RX-A1070/2070/3070 AVRs also have better DAC chips.

If you are asking amp vs AVR, that’s more religion than science. Not going to say anyone is wrong or right. LOL. :)

What speakers do you own?

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
Think the quality might be better further up the chain with the AS801 where the DAC chip is better. The RX-A1070/2070/3070 AVRs also have better DAC chips.

If you are asking amp vs AVR, that’s more religion than science. Not going to say anyone is wrong or right. LOL. :)

What speakers do you own?
right now I have some older polk RTI6s but I am looking to upgrade! just don't do anymore HT just music!:)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
20W/channel will make almost zero difference. For that matter, doubling the output power won't make much difference unless you normally average around 5-10W and that can be pretty loud.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
20W/channel will make almost zero difference. For that matter, doubling the output power won't make much difference unless you normally average around 5-10W and that can be pretty loud.
ok so I gather I am getting good sound now to my ears anyway so I would be better off to keep what I have and put the money to better speakers!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ok so I gather I am getting good sound now to my ears anyway so I would be better off to keep what I have and put the money to better speakers!
Yes. Speakers make sound, amps make loud. :) If you play around with an spl calculator and decide you need more dB at your LP, then look at amps.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, but make sure the speakers won't present a difficult load to the amplifier.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
Yes, but make sure the speakers won't present a difficult load to the amplifier.
my Yamaha is 100/CH x5 but I am only using 2 CH for music. and this avr allows me to switch from 8ohm to 6ohm. if I get speakers rated at 6ohm should I switch from 8 to 6?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
not necessarily. @Highfi might be able to explain it better, but switching it hampers power output as I understand it.

highfigh

highfigh

my Yamaha is 100/CH x5 but I am only using 2 CH for music. and this avr allows me to switch from 8ohm to 6ohm. if I get speakers rated at 6ohm should I switch from 8 to 6?
The way some people use their equipment, I'm surprised UL decided to bother with making the switch necessary- I know of people who would blow the fuse, wrap it with aluminum foil and put it in, blow the crap out of the amp or power supply, have it repaired, rinse, lather repeat. If their stuff didn't burst into flames, new equipment shouldn't, either. As long as they use flame proof resistors and use decent protection circuits, it really shouldn't be a problem.

This applies to people who can't help cranking it to WOT.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
thinking about purchasing a Yamaha AS501 amplifier for my music listening. I own Yamaha RX V475 avr. I have always had a avr but now that I am retired I only listen to music. would I get better sound from a amp vs a avr for music listening?.
Maybe if you're smoking something. :D

But we do see all kinds of claims that one component sounds extremely different from another component for all kinds of reasons.

I think your mood will also change your perception of sound. :D

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
don't forget the placebo affect, regardless of mood. ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Maybe if you're smoking something. :D

But we do see all kinds of claims that one component sounds extremely different from another component for all kinds of reasons.

I think your mood will also change your perception of sound. :D
Brawndo, now with Electrolytes!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis