Amp too powerful for my speakers?

D

drenigoln

Audiophyte
Hey guys! I have a Kenwood KR-797, which according to the manual is 110 watts per channel on all settings, but the new speakers I found are 25-75 watts per channel..Is there a way of using them without damaging them? I've played around with them a bit on my amp and on a friend's and they sound good and worth trying to save. Thanks!
Thanks for the router login answers everyone, I appreciate it! I've got my speakers on and am making sure to keep them turned down a bit!

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.

Yes, you can use it. Just don't overdo the volume.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Your speakers will only draw the amount of power they need to perform irrespective of the listed power of the amp

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hey guys! I have a Kenwood KR-797, which according to the manual is 110 watts per channel on all settings, but the new speakers I found are 25-75 watts per channel..Is there a way of using them without damaging them? I've played around with them a bit on my amp and on a friend's and they sound good and worth trying to save. Thanks!
Thanks for the answers everyone, I appreciate it! I've got my speakers on and am making sure to keep them turned down a bit!
Which speakers? Normal usage is only a few watts I think , I can’t say for sure but to damage them usually that’s by excessive bass output on them but I’ve only had that happen once . Later returned the Yamaha amp that did it was cheap model lowest one, didn’t like it . Mistakingly ran full range so was user error, but the x overs also went bad .

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker wattage ratings are more about the point at which they may incur damage than anything particularly useful....so as was said judicious use of the volume control and you should be fine (if it starts to sound bad, turn it down).

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
It is safer to use a higher power amp with lower power speakers, than the other way around.

an Amp when driven beyond its limit will clip, and in that mode, can put out substantially more power than its power rating would indicate - but the power rating indicates the limit of its "clean" output - not its absolute output limit.

A 40W amp driven to clipping into 70W speakers could well destroy the tweeters - it has happened not infrequently.

On the other hand - a 100W amp driving 70W speakers, is unlikely to reach its limits - it won't be clipping...

Not unless you are trying to have a full blown rock concert at some ridiculous volume level...

You can calculate the possible volume level, by taking the speaker specs in terms of SPL/wm, and then calculating from there... my 86db/wm speakers can calculate out as follows:

86 db @ 1W @ 1m
80db @ 1W @ 2m (this is already higher than my average listening level - which is 72db)
83db - 2 speakers in stereo @ 1W @2m
86db @2w - This is theatre reference level
89db @4w
92db @8W
95db @16W (I don't think I have ever been beyond this level... it is more than 20db above my listening level!)
98db @32W
101db @64W
104db @128W (this is theatre reference peak level - anything above this should be redundant!)
107db @256W
110db @512W (this is roughly where my amp/speaker maxes out)

Do a similar calculation for your own speakers - based on your preferred listening levels, then provide 20db extra for peak requirements - and that should be your target

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the answers everyone, I appreciate it! I've got my speakers on and am making sure to keep them turned down a bit!
You are going to get all kinds of answers, it's the internet!

I would try to give you my favorite response to that kind of questions, that is, it depends!

This time I would elaborate a little, so consider the following facts/factors:

1) Amps not powerful enough to drive your speakers can cause damage it you push the amp near its clipping point.
2) Amps that have rated output much higher (such as 3X) than the speaker's recommended maximum can cause damage if you turn the volume up too high to output more power than the speaker can handle.
3) Practically, and virtually any amps can drive any speakers without resulting in damage to either.
4) There are other factors, but I won't get into the details unless you have speakers that have characteristics that are sort of out of the norm, such as very low sensitivity, unusually low impedance and high phase angles etc.

1) and 2) are not only subject to the volume setting of the amp, but also to your listening habit. For example, it the amp output exceeds the speaker's recommended maximum power handling, say 3 times as much, but it onlyt last for a split second during the signal imposed by the highest peak of the music content you are listening to, then no damage would result, though you may hear distortion momentarily if you have good, trained ears.

1) and 2) can result in damage even at below the speaker's maximum recommended power if the amp outputs at levels close enough to that limit for sustained period of time, that can happen with certain music.

3) People make general statement such as you can use an AVR with 4 ohm speakers when in fact AVRs can drive speakers that dip to 2 ohms or even lower, except some that has sensitive protective circuitry designed to shut down the amp when the load current exceeds a certain point, to protect both the amp and the speakers.

Ultimately the user is in control. Before making your decision, use an online calculator such as the one HD linked, and if the result says you need 100 W to drive your speaker to the loudest level (undistorted) you listen to, double it and you should be safe enough for the worst conditions. When using such calculators keep in mind that most if not all of them are based on speakers with 8 ohm nominal impedance. If your speakers are rated 4 ohms nominal, then you have to adjust the results by a factor of 2.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't try to make the volume control go to 11 and you shouldn't have a problem (Spinal Tap reference, if you didn't know).

If you don't set the volume control past 10-11 O'Clock, you should be OK- rated output IS NOT at maximum- the only reason the control rotates so far is to allow full output when the sound level from CDs/DVDs/BD/LPs, etc is lower than average. Most equipment reaches full output at around 1 O'Clock on the control unless specifically stated by the manufacturer that the control(s) need to be at MAX for full output (like Crown power amps).

T

teresadaniels

Audiophyte
Yes, an amp can be too powerful for your speakers. If the amp is too powerful, it can damage the speakers. This is because the amp will send more power to the speakers than they can handle. This can cause the speakers to overheat and eventually fail.To avoid damaging your speakers, it is important to match the amp's power output to the speakers' power handling capacity. The speakers' power handling capacity is usually listed in the speaker's specifications. nighthawk router login

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, an amp can be too powerful for your speakers. If the amp is too powerful, it can damage the speakers. This is because the amp will send more power to the speakers than they can handle. This can cause the speakers to overheat and eventually fail.To avoid damaging your speakers, it is important to match the amp's power output to the speakers' power handling capacity. The speakers' power handling capacity is usually listed in the speaker's specifications. nighthawk router login
That's true to a point only, but overall, such talks on audio forums are mostly based on misconception and can be misleading to some readers. Amps don't send more power to the speakers than they can handle without human intervention. A 1,000 W amp and a 100 W amp will both output the same output current at the same voltage if both are used well below their limit. How much the amps would output to the load will depend on the media contents and the input level to the amp, and yes, also the volume control setting.

C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
Using speakers with a lower power rating than the amplifier's maximum output power is generally safe as long as you exercise caution and follow some guidelines.

1. Set the volume level appropriately: Keep the volume level at a moderate level to avoid pushing the amplifier to its maximum output. Excessive volume levels could cause distortion or potentially damage the speakers.

2. Avoid prolonged high-volume listening: Continuous high-volume listening sessions can strain the speakers and potentially lead to damage. Give the speakers and amplifier some breaks to prevent overheating.

3. Monitor for distortion: If you hear any distortion or clipping sounds, reduce the volume immediately. Distortion is a sign that the amplifier is overdriving the speakers, which could cause damage.

4. Speaker placement: Ensure that the speakers are placed in an appropriate location and are not obstructed. Proper speaker placement can enhance their efficiency and minimize the strain on the amplifier.

5. Consider using an attenuator: If you want an extra level of protection, you could use a speaker attenuator or a volume control device between the amplifier and the speakers. These devices can help reduce the power going to the speakers and provide an additional safeguard against overdriving them.

By following these guidelines, you can enjoy your speakers with your Kenwood KR-797 amplifier while minimizing the risk of damage. However, it's important to note that operating speakers below their recommended power rating may limit their performance potential. If you find that the speakers are not delivering satisfactory sound quality or volume, you might consider upgrading to speakers that are better matched to the power output of your amplifier.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I should mention that your speakers are capable of handling more power than you would find comfortable. Most of us listen with a handful of average watts or less. If you are listening at a reasonable level, you won't have a problem regardless of the capabilities of the amplifier. You just won't use much those capabilities.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis