Amp Suggestions for Denon AVR-3311CI

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
If your receiver has a LFE x-over setting, set it to 120. It's a long story, but it's correct.

As for x-over, and you can only choose one for the whole system, it depends on your center channel.

What is it?
Should I change the LFE to LFE + Main, or just LFE?
It's set for 80 Hz., will change to 120 Hz.

CC = Klipsch RC-62II should be:

frequency response 57Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
power handling 150W RMS / 600W Peak
sensitivity 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m
nominal impedance 8 ohms compatible
high frequency drivers 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm

Yes, setup problem I have -- I'm sure of that.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Should I change the LFE to LFE + Main, or just LFE?
It's set for 80 Hz., will change to 120 Hz.
LFE

CC = Klipsch RC-62II should be:

frequency response 57Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
power handling 150W RMS / 600W Peak
sensitivity 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m
nominal impedance 8 ohms compatible
high frequency drivers 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm

Yes, setup problem I have -- I'm sure of that.
57 x 1.4= 79.8

Set x-over to 80.

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Am listening in mode Multi Ch. Stereo, as to me it just fills up room more. Have tried 2.1, but to me just not enough in room. I also like the Virtual DSP Mode which doesn't sound to bad either. Some songs off of Pandora, like LoverBoy that I thought would kick it up, just are lacking in any mode so it seems to me. The EMO XPA-5 new is $900, and back ordered, and will drive 200 Watts RMS at 8 Ohms into all five speakers. Seating is 10 ft. from the CC/TV.
I've had the XPA-5 for a year now. I think the 200w per channel is VERY robust in this amp. I think it's under-rated myself. Emotiva will be shipping these amps again by Feb 15th.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
LFE

57 x 1.4= 79.8

Set x-over to 80.
Settings on Denon AVR-3311CI as follows now:

SW Mode = LFE
LPF for LFE = 80 Hz.
Xover = 80 Hz. -- Same as both Subs
F/L/C = Set to all SMALL
Restorer = Off
DynEQ = ON
DynVOL = OFF

Anything else I'm missing here?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I've had the XPA-5 for a year now. I think the 200w per channel is VERY robust in this amp. I think it's under-rated myself. Emotiva will be shipping these amps again by Feb 15th.
I have mine on order, and should be shipping in the next couple of weeks -- Hopefully, I made the right decision here, as many wonder if it is required with the Denon AVR-3311CI. Went with Monoprice RG-6U (75 Ohm) Interconnect cables (3 ft. long), and Closed End Bananas. Vincent at EMO says those will work fine. Looking at a VTI - BL404 Rack .. looks modular, as if I ever add another amp for more channels want to be able to put dual 9" amps at bottom of rack. Chime in all, if this is a good rack and where to purchase it at?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have mine on order, and should be shipping in the next couple of weeks -- Hopefully, I made the right decision here, as many wonder if it is required with the Denon AVR-3311CI. Went with Monoprice RG-6U (75 Ohm) Interconnect cables (3 ft. long), and Closed End Bananas. Vincent at EMO says those will work fine. Looking at a VTI - BL404 Rack .. looks modular, as if I ever add another amp for more channels want to be able to put dual 9" amps at bottom of rack. Chime in all, if this is a good rack and where to purchase it at?
Put the hot stuff at the top, so it doesn't cause the rest of the equipment to get hot. If you use an amp (or more), use at least one fan. If you use a tall rack, the DVD/BD or anything else that you put software into should be at a comfortable height for all and waist high is usually good. Then, you can have plenty of space for cool air to get in for cooling the receiver and any amplifiers.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Settings on Denon AVR-3311CI as follows now:

SW Mode = LFE
LPF for LFE = 80 Hz.
Xover = 80 Hz. -- Same as both Subs
F/L/C = Set to all SMALL
Restorer = Off
DynEQ = ON
DynVOL = OFF

Anything else I'm missing here?
LPF for LFE should be 120. Members, this is a long story, but correct.

Surround should be SMALL as well.

X-over on the sub boxes should be to MAX, or LFE input. Whatever the Sub manufacturer states bypasses the SUBS x-over.

I don't know about the following. Nothing I am familiar with.
Restorer = Off
DynEQ = ON
DynVOL = OFF

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Put the hot stuff at the top, so it doesn't cause the rest of the equipment to get hot. If you use an amp (or more), use at least one fan. If you use a tall rack, the DVD/BD or anything else that you put software into should be at a comfortable height for all and waist high is usually good. Then, you can have plenty of space for cool air to get in for cooling the receiver and any amplifiers.
I was going to put the EMO XPA-5 on the bottom due to weight (66#'s) net - so that the rack is not top heavy, then above that the Denon AVR. Also, most state the amp does not get that hot either, just warm.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
LPF for LFE should be 120. Members, this is a long story, but correct.

Surround should be SMALL as well.

X-over on the sub boxes should be to MAX, or LFE input. Whatever the Sub manufacturer states bypasses the SUBS x-over.

I don't know about the following. Nothing I am familiar with.
Restorer = Off
DynEQ = ON
DynVOL = OFF
OK, on Denon AVR will set the LPF for LFE to 120 Hz. with both Subs set to 80 Hz., 0 Phase since they are up front, and around 0db for gain. Sound right?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
OK, on Denon AVR will set the LPF for LFE to 120 Hz. with both Subs set to 80 Hz., 0 Phase since they are up front, and around 0db for gain. Sound right?
You need to do whatever Klipsch states bypasses the x-over on the sub itself. LFE input usually does this, but I have no idea of how your sub is connected.

The safest option is to turn the x-over dial on the sub itself to max.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
You need to do whatever Klipsch states bypasses the x-over on the sub itself. LFE input usually does this, but I have no idea of how your sub is connected.

The safest option is to turn the x-over dial on the sub itself to max.
One sub is the RW-12d Klipsch, and the other is the Premier Acoustics PA-150.

For the PA-150 it states:
Powered Subwoofers are designed to bring out the low end bass response found in DVD movies or music. Huge explosions, dinosaurs walking or just bass guitar and drums, the PA-150 SUB is designed to reproduce these sounds perfectly. The alignment of a large 15" polygraphite woofer, Rear port design and a built in 1000 watt peak amp makes this sub fill any room with powerful clear pounding bass. We have given you even more control over the way you tune your subwoofer. An adjustable crossover to custom set the frequency response, a volume control to set the output and an auto on/off switch to power on the PA- 150 SUB as soon as that bass hits your sound track. All these features make the PA-150 Sub one of the strongest powered subwoofers on the market today.
It is available in a stunning black finish.

Specifications:

15" Active Subwoofer

Sensitivity: 85DB 1 Watt 1 Meter

Ohms: :4 Ohms

Frequency Responses: 25HZ-180HZ

Wattage: 250 (rms) - 1000 Watts(peak power)

Product Size: 21.1" x 17.9" x 19.2" (H X W X D )

Shipping Size: 28.7" x 24.7: x 24.7" (H X W X D )

Weight: 87 pounds each Of Pounding BASS!

Warranty: 5 Year Warranty On Woofer, 2 Year On Amplifier

Color: Black With A High Gloss Top And Bottom

Have only ONE AR sub cable running to it off of AVR SW pre-out.

Here is the RW-12d:

Specifications
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 24-120Hz +/-3dB
AMPLIFIER POWER FTC Rated Power: 350 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 825 watts
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 116dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m
DRIVE COMPONENTS 12" (30.5cm) Cerametallic™ cone, front-firing woofer
AMPLIFIER BASH® digital hybrid
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via front-firing CornerPort™
INPUTS L/R Line-level RCA jacks, L/R High-level speaker binding posts
OUTPUTS None
HEIGHT 19.2" (48.8cm)
WIDTH 14.6" (37.1cm)
DEPTH 21" (53.3cm)
WEIGHT 49lbs (22.2kg)
FEATURES DCS control and feature set w/ 3 system presets
FINISHES Black Ash woodgrain vinyl
VOLTAGE 110/120 VAC 60Hz
EXPORT VOLTAGE 220 VAC 50/60Hz
BUILT FROM 2006

For this Klipsch I am running a Y-Splitter into the sub.

Hope this helps - so you don't have to look up the specs of these Subs. Thanks.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Now we have Audyssey to run.

We need to skip the speaker size, and x-over.

The problem is, I am a Yamaha guy.:D

Time to get in touch with Audyssey users to be sure it does not change the work we have done.;)

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Given the situation, I would start a new thread asking the Audyssey users what steps to take to be certain Audyssey doesn't change speaker size and x-over points on your 3311.;)

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Given the situation, I would start a new thread asking the Audyssey users what steps to take to be certain Audyssey doesn't change speaker size and x-over points on your 3311.;)
Will do.. understand, and thank you very much for all your Professional Help there, and time :cool:. Dennis

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Will do.. understand, and thank you very much for all your Professional Help there, and time :cool:. Dennis
Welcome to Audioholics!;)

And, thanks for being patient and trusting me. There are many here much more knowledgeable than I, I just happened to answer your thread.

Hang around. You will be amazed at what you will learn, the improvements you can make in your system, and your ability to grow to be able to help others.

We have our issues, but it's a great place.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
ZUMBO -- THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP THIS PAST WEEK -- Love Audioholics forum. New EMO XPA-5 coming in soon (2-15-2011) or so, and once hooked up will let Members know what I think with the Denon AVR-3311CI (5.1) [5.2] :D

Should kick LOVERBOY right in those RED Pants :eek:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis