S

sublime420ec

Enthusiast
Hello all,

New member here i just bought some bookshelf speakers the DCM TPS160ch and i had no receiver or amp.. I bought the

speakers for $49 on impulse because they looked amazing...so i bought a insignia str-514 it claims 100wat per chan ...the max volume is like 65 on it...and if i go above 48-50 the amp heats up and cuts the volume or cuts off...it really sucks because soon as the speakers really start getting loud and sounding good it cuts out....plan on picking up a older yamaha htr-3065 tomorrow for 50$ to try that...mainly getting it for the sub out feature ... most likely use the two receivers as garage/spare room...

my plan is to get a power amplifier because i like very loud levels ....have a feeling av receivers are not gonna cut it for me.

I was looking at this combo i think this is what i need ...power amps confuse me a lil ...do i need a dac can i just plug my pc into the amp direct? i noticed some dont have volume knobs etc...im used to high end pc speakers and car audio so kinda new to home audio. anyway looking to get these at some point as a *solid system*

https://emotiva.com/collections/all/products/a-300

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/pt-100

that a good combo?

Just looking for tips on what i should do to solve my loud volume needs ...i plan to get some more sensitive speakers in the future. also was looking at crown amps .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't see much about Insignia gear. Volume scale numbers don't mean a lot unless they're calibrated to a standard and don't see anything to indicate that. Going into protection mode just when it's getting good isn't a good sign, tho. For $150 new can only expect so much, too. One thing about a typical avr is that it is better than most 2ch units for integrating a sub (the Emotiva pre-amp only has full range pre-outs for a sub, no bass management). Another consideration is not all speakers are spl monsters and it takes a doubling of power merely to gain 3dB spl....higher sensitivity speakers can help reduce amp power needs no doubt. I can recommend the Crown XLS amps, have several.

S

sublime420ec

Enthusiast
yea i looked at crown they seem nice what would i need to buy to go with it tho is what confuses me....do i need a dac to pair with it? i know i can get a receiver with pre outs as well (rather not tho) i been up for like 3 weeks till 1am researching have learned alot but still overloaded. just want to hook a pc to it...pc is my main platform and maybe a mp3 player from time to time .not into 5.1 movies etc really.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yea i looked at crown they seem nice what would i need to buy to go with it tho is what confuses me....do i need a dac to pair with it? i know i can get a receiver with pre outs as well (rather not tho) i been up for like 3 weeks till 1am researching have learned alot but still overloaded. just want to hook a pc to it...pc is my main platform and maybe a mp3 player from time to time .not into 5.1 movies etc really.
An avr with pre-outs is a good way to go and since more avrs are sold, you have economies of scale working for you even if you don't use all the features...at one time pre-outs were more common, now they tend to be limited to mid/upper range models of avrs. Used you can usually find a good deal from someone who has upgraded some feature or another, tho. A dac/pre-amp is another way to go for use with a power amp (but again likely no bass management for a sub, nor any future expansion into surround sound that an avr provides even if you don't think you're interested now). What connection choices does your pc have for audio? Music only or do you want to incorporate video?

S

sublime420ec

Enthusiast
well i need to get a sound card for my pc ....only option now is from the 3.5mm to rca (can use hdmi when i pick up the htr receiver tomorrow)

i mainly listen to just music i have a nice pc speaker setup for movies...

really wanna just go the power amp and pre amp setup if possible seeing as a avr with pre outs cost almost as much as a power amp/pre amp

if you use a powered sub with the power amp/pre amp combo your bass management controls would be on the sub right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well you must have some sort of sound card/device in the computer if you have analog output....no digital output? No usb or hdmi? Can't connect to a dac unless you have a digital output, otherwise there's nothing for the dac (digital to analog converter) to do. Just depends what your overall goals are for connecting other gear as to what you might find most useful/economical. Used can be a great way to save some money on an older avr tho as many upgrade for lack of current video options.

Just how loud are you listening? How far away from the speakers will you sit? You can play with this spl calculator to get an idea of the relationship between speaker sensitivity/power/spl....http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Most subs only have a low pass filter (even when labeled "crossover") and no high pass for your speakers, altho some also have a high pass filter for speakers but sometimes limited as to connection type (line level vs speaker level). You can "blend" a sub with just a low pass with your speakers, tho it's more limited (with an avr you also get delay control, usually a typical sub just has a 0/180 polarity switch for phase/delay, altho sometimes a variable one). What sub are you interested in?

S

sublime420ec

Enthusiast
i just use the sound card on the mobo i use to have a sound blaster ...both only had the green 3.5mm jacks ...gonnna get a sound card with optical most likely.

S

sublime420ec

Enthusiast
picked up the yamaha HTR-3065 earlier it sounds wayyyy better gets loud and dont cut off....dont even get super warm.

gonna attach a pic ...can i connect a power amp via the audio out next to the sub out? dont say pre out so just curious.
had to use link picture size limits are crazy here.
https://ibb.co/LdMt44D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The audio outs are for a recorder type use and is a fixed output, i.e. volume/level will not vary with the settings of your master volume control. Pre-outs are what you need and that unit doesn't have them. What device/software are you using to try and upload pics?

ps There is one pre-out for the sub only....

S

sublime420ec

Enthusiast
oh ok thats what i thought thanks!

anyone have some nice setups you would recommend for when i make my major purchase?

kinda leaning towards the emotiva setup ....also was looking at the yamaha N-803 tho

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis