P

PiersC

Audiophyte
Hi

My understanding of amp / speaker confguration is a bit basic and I am confused as to how to set up my new speakers.

I have been using my home theatre in a 5.1 config with the front L&R and Rear Surround both being a pair of ceiling speakers.
I have just bought as pair of dedicated L&R speakers so am changing the set up to 7.1.
My set up is basically like the image below but without the SL or SR speakers.

IMG_0838.jpeg

I am not sure whether to wire my ceiling speakers as surround front and surround back or to wire both pairs as Height 1 and Height 2 and have nothing wired into the surround inputs on my amp.

See image below for input options. Any advice / thoughts would be very welcome…

IMG_0839.jpeg

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Hi and welcome. You have not said what AVR you have. That would help as we do not know if you have a 7.2.4 channel or less channels.

Using the top/height speakers as your surround and surround back is off axis from Dolby recommendations. Your bed layer (not top layer) carries the most important sounds whereas the top/heights are just for atmosphere like Atmos.

Tell us what your AVR is. It is possible you can have an acceptable 5.2.4 system and still use your new bed layer LR surround speakers

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the reply
the AVR is a Denon AVC-X3700H
Thanks for trying but I'm assuming it's a typo, and you meant a Denon AVR-X3700H

It's really very important to get the "Bed" layer of speakers complete before putting anything into the ceiling, to get surround sound working correctly. Is there any way to get you to add surround speakers and then you can configure it as a 5.1.4 Atmos system?

If not, you will never get it to sound close to correct. I know the WAF is strong at times, but sometimes things just have to be done correctly. ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The AVC is the EU model. I gree about getting the surround speakers. I can't remember if it can even be configured to use four heights without surround speakers. It would have to be configured for 5.1.4 and then set surround speakers to NONE and see what it spits out.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Aha now that we have your AVR we can tell it can power 9 channels simultaneously so you can have a 5.2.4 system where the first number=5 are the number of bed layer speaker you can have. The second number=2 is the number of subs you can have (these usually have their own amps). The last number=4 is the number of top/height speakers you can have.

Your AVR (AVC) has 11 channels for signal output but only 9 internal amps to power 9 speakers. You can add an external 2 channel amp to get a full 7.2.4 system. This is easily done using the amp assign portion of your manual.

BTW I am little uncertain I may have misread your post above. You bought Front L and Front R speakers not surround speakers correct? Do you also have a center speaker?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi

My understanding of amp / speaker confguration is a bit basic and I am confused as to how to set up my new speakers.

I have been using my home theatre in a 5.1 config with the front L&R and Rear Surround both being a pair of ceiling speakers.
I have just bought as pair of dedicated L&R speakers so am changing the set up to 7.1.
My set up is basically like the image below but without the SL or SR speakers.

View attachment 68265

I am not sure whether to wire my ceiling speakers as surround front and surround back or to wire both pairs as Height 1 and Height 2 and have nothing wired into the surround inputs on my amp.

See image below for input options. Any advice / thoughts would be very welcome…

View attachment 68266
It has to be wired as surround and rear surround. The AVR wont process height/top speakers without surround speakers in place, and would sound odd even if it did.

If you added ear level surrounds, where they work MUCH better, then you could have 5.x.4 and would be much better than 7.1. All day.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis