Amp break in or bad Amp?

D

dillweed

Junior Audioholic
I have had my receiver since Nov 04 avr7300. In the past couple months I have noticed that the volume level (my machine -28) it use to be set at now needs to be turned up (-20) to achieve same loudness.

Besides going deaf which I am not what would be the reason for this? Is it usual as you break in an amp that you will have to turn it up more and more to get the same output from it?

Should I be concerned?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would be very concerned! :eek: Go to your physician as soon as possible.
As far as your unit, it's fine. :D

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
Break in may be a consideration for Loudspeakers, TV Monitors and Front projection systems but for Amps,Pre-Amps,DVD players and cables ect... IMOHO is a myth Burn in of various products by an installer dealer to check QC is a legitimate practice

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Burn in has no effect of the amps perfromance at all. It is the responsibility
of the installer to QC each peice of gear that goes into a custom install
before it get to the install site This insures that the product will function properly before it gets to the clients home.This is common practice among
Installers that care about their clients. ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
dillweed said:
I have had my receiver since Nov 04 avr7300. In the past couple months I have noticed that the volume level (my machine -28) it use to be set at now needs to be turned up (-20) to achieve same loudness.

Besides going deaf which I am not what would be the reason for this? Is it usual as you break in an amp that you will have to turn it up more and more to get the same output from it?

Should I be concerned?

Did you measure and write down the SPL level when new at the -28 volume position? Or, relying on memory and a subjective judgement of that level?
Maybe you like it louder today?

Maybe your hearing did suffer but you have no benchmark for any of this. So, you have not much resolution for this dilema.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
mtrycrafts said:
Did you measure and write down the SPL level when new at the -28 volume position? Or, relying on memory and a subjective judgement of that level?
any chance you had a change in ambient noise ? I know my heat pump is alot louder on electric than it is on gas... as things get warmer, you might be having a change in environment, not necessarily your ears or equipment. :)

did your wife move the coffe table ? that will get you every time.. :D

D

dillweed

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Did you measure and write down the SPL level when new at the -28 volume position? Or, relying on memory and a subjective judgment of that level?
Maybe you like it louder today?
No spl was used so I am relying on memory.

I take it from the questions asked that this does not happen all the time?

Nothing was changed in the house. DVD player remained the same. Furniture remained the same. Speakers remained the same. Curtains remained the same. Floor remained the same.

I am certain about the -28 level because AVR7300 was a large investment for me. I marked -28 and told all in the house -28 was not to be passed. Don't have teenagers or anyone else that would increase when I was not around.

Lets say that I am going to mark spl level at -20 today. If in fact a month from now I have to go to -18 to achieve same reading. Should I return until to manufacture and claim loss of power?

D

dillweed

Junior Audioholic
No chance of ambient noise as winter months in AZ = no heat or cooling needed. In fact ambient noise is probably quieter now than when unit was purchased.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
dillweed said:
No chance of ambient noise as winter months in AZ = no heat or cooling needed. In fact ambient noise is probably quieter now than when unit was purchased.

Without taking spl measurements of the same sound source, you will never know why the increase is happening. Memort is not a reliable measuring tool.

Maybe you become accustomed to the sound and are ready for more?
Hearing is going bad?
Least likely that the amp is loosing power bit by bit.
This is not a burn in, break in issue as that is a no starter in audio.

Beegowl

Beegowl

Junior Audioholic
In the past couple months I have noticed that the volume level (my machine -28) it use to be set at now needs to be turned up (-20) to achieve same loudness.
Are you using the same source material and the same DSP setting? Often, recording levels differ on different source materials and cause me to have to turn the volume up or down to get the right sound. Different DSP settings have a different sound volume, too, it seems to me. Sometimes, when I have a head cold, or cedar fever allergies, my hearing isn't as acute and I do have to raise the volume to get the same level of audio intensity. I'd investigate all other avenues before concluding that the hardware is the problem. Although, with all of the computer processing in modern receivers, it makes me wonder, sometimes, how everything can work without a breakdown at some tiny level.

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
If everything is as you say, then the machine has changed the level of gain. Have someone check the gain on your preamplifier to ensure it is steady.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis